close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Paleo and Primal Folks: Check In

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Restless28, Mar 30, 2012.

1. Restless28

Restless28

We are making our shopping list to go back to the Primal Diet. The one thing I absolutely hate to give up is jasmine and long grain rices. Once I get over the carb flu, I'm good to go.

We did this last year, but I was still drinking alcohol then. The only grains I usually have are breads and rice.

Are any of you still on the Paleo or Primal Diet?

2. GLWyandotte

GLWyandotte Señor Member

I'm not, but about the rice- can you eat wild rice?
    If you can, get the hand harvested stuff. It's about the same price as the farm raised stuff that no matter how long you cook it, won't open up fully.

3. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

Sort of. I try to limit myself to 100g of carbs per day. . . much better than my normal 200-350 per day.

About 26 out of 30 days a month I'm fine. There are 4 days that are NOT cheat days (there is no way you can go 100% paleo and have friends and family) that I go insane. Those are hard days. I don't want eggs or steakums or whatever. I want a big fat sub with extra bread!

I think in the last 3 months, I've probably tracked about 110-120g per day, coming in at about 1900 calories per day. I'm down 11 lbs with no "rush" to do so and rarely a hungry day.

4. zagzig

zagzig

I eat a Paleo diet. Check out http://www.marksdailyapple.com and http://jackkruse.com for some great info. A few years ago I was really overweight and unhealthy. I changed the way I eat, started exercising and feel great. I just got my bloodwork labs back a couple days ago and everything is perfect.

Good luck!

Last edited: Mar 30, 2012
  5. puckhead

puckhead

Primal eater here! I have been following Mark on marksdailyapple.com and have a few of his books.

Much healthier after eating that way for a while. I still drink on occasion with friends and sometimes have non-primal stuff. But if you read through his stuff, he is an advocate of the 80%-20% way of living.

6. puckhead

puckhead

7. Peace Warrior

Peace Warrior Am Yisrael Chai CLM

huh? wait... what?

8. hamster

hamster NRA Life Member

Yes and know. I'm doing a "Whole foods, plant based" diet. Basically all foods that I process myself. I buy veggies, eat them raw or cook them myself. Nothing that has been overly packaged. I'm also trying to avoid cooking with oil as much as possible. I guess my diet currently could be characterized as a "hunter-gatherer" type diet... with poor hunting skills. :)

Currently I'm also avoiding animal products. The diet I'm currently following is outlined in the book Engine 2 Diet and the movie Forks over knives. It could be described as a vegan diet, except that it is more Paleo than vegan quite honestly.

It isn't concerned at all with animal welfare, but rather eating as many "whole" foods as possible and avoiding many of the "modern" highly refined carbs and fats like sugar, cornstarch, butter, veg oil etc. Which makes sense from a "paleo" point of view. I doubt any cave people were eating canola oil, cheddar cheese, or steaks. Most likely their diet was occasionally supplemented by an animal much leaner than what we are accustomed to nowadays. Fat sources would have been from fatty internal organs like liver etc.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2012
  9. benji

benji

We've been doing it for over a year. My wife is allergic to dairy and gluten so it's pretty easy for us. I lost about 20 pounds and I wasn't fat to start with. I feel better, look better, and am stronger (I love lifting weights) than I was a year ago when I started. robbwolf.com and everydaypaleo.com are good resources.

10. hamster

hamster NRA Life Member

Excellent resources.

While the concept of eating what we are "supposed" to eat is suspect scientifically, it forces us to stay way from those things that end up hurting us the most.

I tried atkins for years and lost lots of weight, but still was doing bad things like eating a block of brie cheese in one sitting and living off chicken wings and huge quantities of sausage. I think the "paleo/primal" twist to the low-carb diet is an excellent way to keep people from avoiding those "pitfall" foods that are so tasty, but get us in trouble.