Painting magazine base plate

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by ftdtetr, Jul 20, 2018.

1. ftdtetr

ftdtetr

Any experience/recommendations on spraying JUST the factory base plate or extension?

2. Chowser

Chowser

I did a bunch recently for work for our rifle plate carriers.

I removed the baseplates. Wiped them all down with a degreaser. Stuck some cardboard on the workbench. Then did light passes with some krylon allowing time to dry in between coats. I just did the outside of the baseplate.
    After drying for 24 hrs, I sprayed a sealant on them and reinstalled.

Looks fine. Not sure how it will last. My only reason for doing it is to identify the mags as belonging to the rifle plate carrier because cheapos at work would “borrow” them indefinitely if I left them all black. Did the same to the Magpul rifle mags for the carriers.

3. igolfat8

igolfat8

I just use a paint pen on mine and number them with dots of bright orange paint. 1 dot, 2 dots, Etc...

GlockyQ likes this.
  4. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

I use a DYMO plastic label maker on the bottom of a bunch of pistol magazines.

Only takes a minute to make and sticks good to metal or plastic mags fine.

5. DirectDrive

DirectDrive

6. COUNTYGUARDIAN

COUNTYGUARDIAN

I have my base plates color coded to identify the guns in which they are used. Makes identifying them a snap at the GSSF matches.
    I took a 2 X 4 and drilled some holes in it to support an array of wooden dowels. Picked up the dowels at the craft department at Wally World. Trimmed one end of the dowels with pencil trimmer.
    Remove magazine base plates and impale them on the dowel. Use the dowel to hold while spraying the plastic bases. Stick dowel into the 2 X 4 and let bases dry. Spray lightly or the paint will clump or run. A little practice and you can't tell them from solid color polymer.

7. Preyhunter

Preyhunter Huckleberry

If you want to use a spray product, I would recommend vinyl dye. I don’t know what colors it comes in, but back in my day of being a computer hardware nerd, I had the need of making old beige "computer colored" parts black to match my black computer builds. It is very watery, so you need to do several coats. The wateriness soaks into the plastic and gives you some depth, so light scratches don’t reveal the original color underneath like a coat of paint would do. Duplicolor was the brand of black fabric and vinyl dye that I used. Not sure about other colors.

I’ve used this same technique on auto interior pieces. Armorall and other cleaners haven’t cleaned it away. Think of it as a "plastic stain" for lack of a better term.

Something to look into, anyway.

8. Merldizzle

Merldizzle

Sounds interesting rather than buying new base plates

Last edited: Jul 23, 2018
  9. Merldizzle

Merldizzle

Anyone have any pictures of their projects?

10. RPMSTL

RPMSTL

I use blue, black and orange factory plates.

Pick them up cheap or used off eBay when I can find them.

Glock-Colored-Magazine-Floor-Plates_main-01.jpg