Painting lead bullets

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Colorado4Wheel, Aug 12, 2015.

1. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

What are you guys using now to paint your lead bullets. I also assume your not sizing them as well. I got a lot of titegroup that would work a lot better with painted rather then lubed bullets. Just not sure if it's worth the trouble to go down this road.

2. unclebob

unclebob DFC, MSM, 12 Air Medals.

This the route that I would go. I don't care for the powder coated bullets

3. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

I heard some people are using paint rather then powder coating. Powder coating seems like a hassle.

4. unclebob

I tried the power coated bullets and don’t like them had the paint peel off when it left the barrel. Also what I have seen on YouTube it looks harder to do. And it looks like higher expense and messier.

5. dkf

dkf

I have had success with VHT black epoxy paint. Two coats and bake them.(I put mine on top of the coal stove) When they were done I sized them. I even shot some in my AR (.223). It is kinda expensive paint though, I got some Hitek powder from Gateway now.

6. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

Do you have to bake them. I really don't want to buy a oven to try this?

7. dkf

dkf

Pretty sure if you don't bake them the paint will peel. Pretty much everyone over at CB is baking paint bullets and you have to with powder coat or Hitek also. A convection toaster oven is not that expensive and is what I use. Of course if you can handle a little smell you can bake a batch in your kitchen to try.

8. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

Time to house sit for Zombie Steve....

dkf likes this.
  9. dkf

dkf

I approve this message.

10. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

So I looked at the VHT epoxy paint. It doesn't say you have to bake it. Many of the VHT paints say you need to bake them. But the epoxy paint doesn't. Which paint are you using? What temp are you baking at?

11. dkf

dkf

I used the stuff in the link in black. I can't say what temp I baked it at because I put the steel racks with the painted bullets on top of my coal stove. After each coat I put them on the stove. Stove was probably around 300-325 degrees where they were sitting. You can try some without baking to see if it works, just so they pass the smash test. If baking in an oven I'd say around 300 for 15-20 minutes should suffice.

I used the gloss black
    http://www.vhtpaint.com/products/epoxypaint/

12. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

Thanks very much.

13. fredj338

fredj338

I tried the paint, doesn't stick well & a lot of waste. I have been using the hi-tek epoxy & lately PC. Both are easy to apply & need baking. I shake & bake both, they are slightly diff though in handling. Done correctly, both coatings stay on the bullet all the way to the berm. Less smoke, same accuracy, both can be sized after coating, both are economical to use. PC will even handle higher vel into to 2000fps range, no gc. I am just playing with some in my 6.8, looks promising as a cheap plinker.
    The hi-tek is pricey but will do a lot of bullets. Depending on size, it adds 1/2-3/4c per bullet. Cheaper than a gc. The HF red PC is $6/#. A tsp will do several 100 bullets. I won't sell my star sizer, but I'll use a lot more coated for my gun games going forward. Some plastic containers for shaking, some wire racks for baking & a cheap Walmart pizza oven & you are all set.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 12, 2015
  14. sig357fan

sig357fan

hay Fred,

how bout a run down on your PC prossess

sig357fan

15. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

Also, do you think water dropping them before Powder Coating will matter? Where do you buy the powder coating? Do your prefer that over the epoxy for pistol? It would be worth trying in my 308 as well.

Edit: I see Harbor Freight sells the PC for $6. I guess all I need is a screen and a oven. What temp do you bake at?

Last edited: Aug 13, 2015
  16. nitesit(+ an e)

nitesit(+ an e) Farmer, House Sitter and Cook

A lot of cast bullet guys declare that the RED Harbor Freight PC has given better results than the other colors HF sells.

A convection toaster oven is said to be better, but WalMart does sell a cheap toaster oven for $18.95 (Black and Decker?). Dollar General sells small a small grilling tray made of steel for a buck each so you can bake new batches constantly while other trays of PC bullets are cooling.

And I use black Crossman Airsoft BBs ($6 at Academy) added in the Coolwhip tub which help to put a much more evenly applied powder coat on my bullets because of the extra static they generate plus knocking off clumps.

Parchment Paper (sold for cookie baking) is better than non-stick aluminum foil and can be used over and over.

I size my boolits after one baked on coat using the Lee push thru sizing die.

C4W, you can be powder coating quite successfully for an initial investment of under forty bucks and like Fred said the first pound of powder lasts almost indefinitely.

HF Red baked at 350 for twenty minutes results in a 230-gr .452" bullet that I can smash with a hammer until its as big and flat as a half-dollar and the coating doesn't budge or break off. My .45 bullet fragments found under the steel plates have powder coating still stuck on them. My barrels show some soot that cleans out in two swipes.

Colorado4Wheel likes this.
  17. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

So basically,

Shake bullets in tub to coat bullets
    Transfer them to the screen for baking
    Bake at 350 degrees for 20mins
    Pour onto parchment paper to cool.

Thanks

18. nitesit(+ an e)

nitesit(+ an e) Farmer, House Sitter and Cook

The parchment paper lines the steel cooking tray while the bullets are heated in the toaster oven. That way the applied powder coat on the bullet base doesn't stick to the metal baking tray. Parchment paper has no cling and the bullet base comes out looking great.

Of course, it you are spraying on the PC (way more expensive process) the bullet bases are left with exposed lead, so I do the Coolwhip tub shake process.

I have extra steel baking trays I got at the DG and leave the boolits on the paper lined tray until they are cool (15-minutes) Then I size them in the Lee sizing die and they are immediately ready for loading.

19. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

So you have to line the bullets up on their bases?

20. unclebob

What is DG