close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Painting handcuffs

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by razdog76, Jan 4, 2010.

1. razdog76

razdog76 Heavy Mettle

After working the transport position for a while I became tired of getting my personal handcuffs mixed in with the office cuffs. A real PITA to sort through the mix of nickel plated handcuffs.

I bought a pair of blued cuffs, but they are a pain to keep rust free (maybe because I use open top cases).

Has anyone painted their nickel or stainless cuffs? I was thinking about maybe truck bed liner, so long as I masked off the hinges, holes, and ratchet area.

2. Fallout

Fallout County Mountie

I think anything normal type paint is going to have problems standing up to the abuse handcuffs see. You could probably get them powder coated pretty cheaply however the heat from the Powder coat oven could mess with the Tempering of the Steel. Before I hit the street I worked in a Jail for three years, The jail used S&W Cuffs I bought peerless and inscribed my name on them in real big letters. It was usually pretty easy to spot the Peerless cuffs from the smiths. That being said if you try and paint them, make sure you rough up the surface with some fine grit sand paper hit it with some self etching primer and then a good enamel paint. That may or may not last, You are going to have fun trying to keep it out of the mechanism though.

3. spdski

spdski NRA Life Member CLM

Hiatts used to sell different colors... I am sure someone still does.

4. Patchman

Patchman Florist

I had my name etched (deep etching) on my cuffs and still one pair disappeared when I turned around for just a second! I have seen work tools where the owner used purple spray paint to mark the tools. He just sprayed a large part of the tools and when the paint began to wear off, just re-sprayed them again. After awhile, the paint in the nooks and crannies did not peel or wear off.

5. razdog76

razdog76 Heavy Mettle

I have four sets, and most are engraved with my name. I was just looking at keeping this idea inexpensive.

I have seen other counties on prison runs with handcuffs that looked like they were painted, but the finish was really worn and they did not look like they were originally that color.

6. Patchman

Patchman Florist

This is off topic, but I always smile remembering how many homes I visited had those trick cuffs, you know, the ones that release with the push of the pin.

7. razdog76

razdog76 Heavy Mettle

I sent to house where the daughter cuffed herself but didn't have the nonstandard key...:supergrin:

8. blueiron

blueiron

If I were going to do that route, I would mask off everything except an area around the double strand and paint that area that has no moving or critical parts. Of course, you'd have to grind off much, if not all, the original plating/finish to get the paint to adhere properly.

Unless you are strapped for cash or have a lot of cuffs and do not want to buy more, I'd consider getting the factory finished cuffs. It would be less work.

Truck bed liner will not work since it is too thick and all the plating would have to be removed for it to work.

9. C.Smith

C.Smith Millennium Member

How about just painting in the serial number and model number with paint or fingernail polish. I did that eight years ago in the academy and can still see the paint.

Corey

10. Gangrel

Gangrel

I used one of those labelmakers and put my ID on my stuff... none of the labels have come off in the couple of years I've used them.

Otherwise, I'd just get an engraving tool... we have one in our report writing room at work for marking evidence.

I use S&W M&P lever locks... only person at my dept who does. I'll track down the ******* who tries to take 'em from me!

11. Sharky7

Sharky7 Boomshakalaka

12. razdog76

razdog76 Heavy Mettle

I wonder why they don't make any other models with melonite coated stainless.

This seems like too much work, I think I'll just use another pair of nickel. There is little chance of them getting swapped since I will only be making deposits.:supergrin:

On another note, if anyone has had to send a set back to peerless for warranty work, how long did it take to get them back?

I had to cut a set off an inmate more than a year ago, and finally sent them back today.

13. Kahr_Glockman

Kahr_Glockman

I Kryloned mine four years ago. The paint wore of of most of the cuffs but adhered in some places well enough that I can still tell that they are mine.

14. blueiron

blueiron

Carbon steel can be treated with Melonite. It does not work with stainless due to the amount of chromium in the alloy.

When I sent a set of cuffs to Peerless in the late 90's, it took about three weeks total.

15. obxemt

obxemt Chaplain of CT

ASP, S&W, Hyatt, Thompson...buy some.

[​IMG]

16. Sniff

Sniff

A cop I know has bright pink ones. They never get stolen and the bad guys hate wearing them.

She brought them to a defensive tactics recertification class I ran.

Sniff

17. msu_grad_121

msu_grad_121 BOOSH

+1! I can't wait to get a set of these (to ride in my closed-top carrier, of course) and slap them on the next DV tough guy I come across!

BTW: I've never had experience with ASPs, but some of the guys around here were saying the ratchet can be slipped if you know how to twist them right. Not sure I buy that, but just a heads-up.

18. Hack

Hack Crazy CO Gold Member

If you black box any, be aware that Hiatt and Peerless cannot be used with the same box due to the shape of the cuffs. We have this at work, now that we have a few new Hiatts, which means we had to get a few blue boxes for the Hiatts.

19. MSP Sarge

MSP Sarge

Just attach a dog tag or a brass tag to the chain.

20. blueiron

blueiron

So it can be used as a shim? No thanks.