Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if this is the correct area, if not I apologize. But for some reason, everytime I go to the range and shoot, after about 50 or so rounds, I start to develop a pain along the edges of my left thumb ( I'm a left handed shooter ) the pain reaches a point where I anticipate it happening and flinch, and it really makes shooting not fun.

Unfortunately, I have small, soft hands, so I dont know if thats why its happening, I'd think my grip is wrong, but its definitely a problem.

I shoot a G19 3rd gen. Thanks in advance for the replies.

·
Glock Guy
2,142 Posts
Check out some proper grip techniques on you tube. I thought you were gonna say you were shooting a .40
You've got a great pistol in the G19, so yeah, focus on grip technique and stay safe.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Oh man that sucks. Does the grip feel too wide for your hand? I wonder if the width and your hand size is pulling your thumb out of natural position at the base of it causing a bit of nerve pain. Wait, I didn't go to med school, so that might be a bad prognosis.

·
Glock Sportsman
1,363 Posts
Not any fun at all, you may be grabbing the gun fairly tight due to your small hands. I would advise you to not really hold the gun over tight. Just have a firm grip and hold your hands quite straight. Make sure the grip is correct and again, relax and just concentrate on the target and just shoot. Over tight grip only make your muscles tired and you tend to flinch the gun as you squeeze the trigger.

A good exercise for this is to get a rubber ball and just squeeze it as you watch TV etc. It will strenghten those loose muscles.

·
20,411 Posts
You may wish to place a rubber grip sleeve on your grip or try a shooting glove.

·
Registered
347 Posts
As others have stated, check your grip. If in doubt, I suggest taking a lesson or two to make sure your fundamentals are solid. Been meaning to do that myself. I don't want to be reinforcing bad habits. I can usually shoot 500 or so rounds through a G19 with no pain. After that, my hands and arms start to get tired, and I start shaking. The serrated trigger on the smaller Glocks makes my trigger finger sore after a while too. Good luck.

·
Banned
12,951 Posts
Do other things cause pain like that? Maybe you should see a Dr. to check you for carpal tunnel type injury. The Glock 19 is a soft shooter and should not be causing pain in a healthy hand. I am an electrician, not in the medical field but I know a few people that have had carpal tunnel problems.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Glocks are uncomfortable for a lot of people. And holding something that is uncomfortable will eventually make your hand hurt.

You may want to first off check your grip and make sure you are holding the gun properly. Secondly, loosen up on it some. If you have a death grip on the gun your hand will fatigue very quickly. 9mm really doesnt require much grip at all, you'll have to experiment some to find a SAFE compromise between death grip and a totally limp hand. I can tell you though I've shot a G17 using only my thumb and index finger seeing how the weapon would cycle in a limp wristing situation. Not only did it not fail in any matter I was easily able to hold onto the gun.

Happens to me when I'm riding my friends beat up dirt bike, the grips are terrible. It being a dirt bike I have to hold onto terrible grips tightly. In a matter of minutes my hands are killing me. On my street bike with MUCH better grips I can bare down on it for much longer and my hands are fine.

·
Registered
19,534 Posts
This is a tough problem to solve. If your hands are stretched out by the wide Glock grip, then I think the advice above about getting a shooting glove or a grip sleeve is right on the money. My only worry there is that maybe the extra material stretches your hand out even more.

I can empathize. Last year, I had surgery in the palm of my shooting hand and (after letting it heal for three months) none of my guns bothered me ..... except for my Glock 34, which banged right on my scar tissue. At the end of each G34 shooting session, I had a real flinch going.

You do need to work on this rather than tough it out. If you develop a flinch, it can take a while to get rid of it. All of my guns (except my Glocks) have Pachmayr grips. I won't use Hogues because I like a padded back strap. The Pachmayrs style grips are not an option with a Glock, but I've toyed with the idea of a grip sleeve for years.

·
Adirondacker with a Glock
2,812 Posts
OP said: " I start to develop a pain along the edges of my left thumb"

I shoot a G22 and have noticed a lump about the size of a small pea that forms in the middle of my palm after a box of 180's downrange. (About halfway up that line from middle of wrist to base of index finger.)

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Not to hijack the thread, but what brand shooting gloves are good and recommended?

·
Registered
815 Posts
My hands aren't big, but through patient teachers and good videos online to go back to again and again, I've gotten away from shooting pain... OK, a long afternoon with my 26 kind of leaves a little soreness in the palm of my shooting hand. It's just the price you pay for such a nice, quick, instinctive grip on the gun.

Todd Jarrett has a great video which gives good hand position for any gun. It's here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysa50-plo48

The only thing you do different on a Glock is this: With both thumbs pointing forward and relaxed, your right thumb rests gently on the knuckle at the base of your left thumb. No pressure; it simply rests there. If you don't place it on your left thumb knuckle, it will very likely hit or even rest on your slide release, causing your slide to not lock back after firing the last round. Your left hand squeezes the dickens out of your right, but the thumbs don't squeeze at all. They're there for pointing and correct position.

I think you'll find this easy after some practice and the slide serrations won't be hitting your thumb any more. And you'll stop hurting. Your groups will probably tighten up, too.

EDIT: I just realized that I wrote this for the right handed. I'm sure you get that all the time. Sorry.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the responses so far. As far as my grip, I could possibly take a picture og what I do, and post it on here. And the pain isnt unbearable, but it's enough that I dont want to shoot anymore, after 15-20 minutes.

I can almost guarntee my grip is wrong, but since I have such small hands, other variations just dont feel right. I used to own a G17, and I had the same issue.

I was planning on just toughing it out, I assumed that are would get used to it eventually...I just have no idea, and the staff at the gun range are not very friendly, so I haven't asked them what could be causing the issue.

·
"It Is Written"
1,470 Posts
Not any fun at all, you may be grabbing the gun fairly tight due to your small hands. I would advise you to not really hold the gun over tight. Just have a firm grip and hold your hands quite straight. Make sure the grip is correct and again, relax and just concentrate on the target and just shoot. Over tight grip only make your muscles tired and you tend to flinch the gun as you squeeze the trigger.

A good exercise for this is to get a rubber ball and just squeeze it as you watch TV etc. It will strenghten those loose muscles.
Very sound advice here. The 19 is a real smooth shooter but if you are holding the gun with like a death grip i see some pain. My left hand has alot of problems one reason glock's and HK' are all i buy now.

You may wish to place a rubber grip sleeve on your grip or try a shooting glove.
This i know will help alot. But a Dr. visit is not a bad idea. I have nerve damage all over so i feel bad for you but changing to another brand i see of no help in fact a heavier gun could make your situation worse. Keep us posted of yout progress, :wavey:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts