close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Pain. How many live with it every day?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by larry_minn, Jul 17, 2012.

1. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

I have to admit most days its not bad. some OTC and bear it. But @ 8 times a yr.......
    Last night was/is such a night. I realized I was getting sore by minute. Went inside /tried to lay down. Some vicodin (ok expired) and flexeral. 3 hrs later another dose.
    Maybe 1 hr sleep all night. Hurts when I move, stay still, elevate,lower.
    I am so dang tired....Lying in bed in pain is not giving my any sleep. I have gotten so used to supressing "background" but this. I walk like a 90 yr old, stairs are a obstical. Dang near tempted to try inversion boots. (can't see they would help. )

2. clancy

clancy

I don't think I am in as bad a condition as you, but pain is something I live with everyday. Both knees hurt like hell., the cartilage is pretty much shot in both. I blew my left biceps tendon back in 98 and had to have an organ donor's tendon put in, that hurts all the time, especially after doing any physical labor. I also lost about a third of the strength in my left arm, so I have to work smarter than harder. At work a I dropped a commercial refrigerator on my left foot last March, and have several bone chips floating around the ball of my foot. At the end of the day that starts screaming. When a big storm is on it's way is the worst.

It sucks, but I deal with it.

3. greyhoundafw

greyhoundafw

Workong threw a herniated disk, I feel you bro.
    Greyhound

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

4. Mrs. VR

Mrs. VR Sharon, you will be missed.

I have an autoimmune connective tissue disease that attacks various parts of my body. I never have zero pain, but mst days are doable. On the ones that arent, I am fortunate to have great docs, good meds, and alternative therapies available ( love my TENS unit). The sleep piece is important because the less you get, the harder it is to cope. It can be a vicious cycle.

I hope you feel better fast.

5. Mrs.Cicero

Mrs.Cicero Wayward Member

Two back surgeries and fibromyalgia. An allergy to skelaxin doesn't help. I know it could be worse, because it's been worse, but the last couple of weeks I've waked up earlier and earlier because everything, esp my hips, hurts. At that point I know I might as well get out of bed because it'll only get worse if I don't. The lack of sleep is making me cranky.

Time for an appt at the osteopath's. And a massage after that on a day when I can lay down long enough to get one.

I feel for you, because I know what happens to me when it hurts too much to sleep.

Mrs.Cicero

6. DustyJacket

DustyJacket Directiv 10-289

A morning when nothing hurts is a sure indicater that I've died during the night.

Old & fat

7. johnd

johnd

I tell myself pain is good, that its a sign of healing and that Im still alive.

8. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

I used to.

Then I got divorced.

9. SC Tiger

SC Tiger Jive Tiger

Nowhere near your level but I have a hip condition that flares up every now and then. It is only for a few minutes but it makes it very hard and painful to walk. I'm on an anti-inflammatory but it doesn't help very much.

The flareups are for 15-20 minutes at a time so by the time I get any pain meds in me it will be gone anyway.

I knew a guy near the coast who had a condition where if he exerted himself in any way he would have a seizure. He even took the elevator from the second floor of the building he worked in to the ground (first) floor.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2012
  10. 2bgop

2bgop

Amen to that!!

11. LAWDOGKMS

LAWDOGKMS

Yep, chronic neck pain that used to be in C4, C5, C6, (MRI diagnosed foraminal stenosis, narrowing of spinal cord, ostephytes/bone spurs pressing on nerves too etc..) but is lately at the very top of my neck at the base of my skull, usually all day long..

Used to be arms/hands tingling, chest pressure, and even both-feet pain...basically all sorts of stuff related to pinched nerves in the neck..but it is now better (in a way) in that I can at least turn my head now..but all the discomfort has moved to the base of my skull, which is better than when it was all where the neck meets the shoulders..

NOTHING helps..no amount of flexeril, ibuprofen etc...and I REFUSE to take addictive and potent prescription pain meds..as I have an addictive personality, and know I'd get hooked..

Computer/desk work (a big part of my job) makes it worse..

I used to be MR FITNESS, running, lifting etc...and am now only a shadow of my former self..at 6 foot, 215 lbs, with a 1.5 mile run in 12 mins or so a couple times a week, mixed in with pushups and situps. I have had to completely give up any weights..everytime I touch them, my neck basically locks up.. I still look fit, and am in reasonably good shape...but am NOTHING like the 6 foot 230 lb athlete I was before my neck started acting up..

Doctor is trying to steer me away from surgery, telling me that the problems I have in my neck, often improve with age..that someone with disk problems like I have, often improve in their 50's/60's because the discs dessicate/dry out and no longer push on nerves etc..

Doc says that surgery could do more harm than good and the only option for me is fusion, and if I go that route, I can go ahead and schedule myself for more neck surgery about every 5 years afterwards..to fix the discs above and below the fusion, that have now been overworked and damaged because the fused discs aren't pulling their weight..

12. John Rambo

John Rambo Raven

Disc problems in my back. They've gotten a lot better, and I've just sort of gotten used to the pain. I'm even able to do moderate exercise and be functional afterwards without pills. Inversion table has helped immensely - I never realize how much pain I'm in until I get on it and take the weight off my spine and feel what a normal back would feel like.

Its just one of those things, ya know? You can either curl up and die because of it or you can deal with it.

13. Chuck66

Chuck66 Traveling Man

I have daily pain. Some of it's the same pain as every other day and expected, and other days I have unusual joint pain that stays for a bit and moves on out. So far so good on tolerating it with OTC treatments and exercise. Still not fun. I could be much, much worse off, and I'm greatful that I'm doing as well as I do.

14. Hines57

Hines57 Simple Member

1982, Mary Jean Howard went to junior prom with another guy. Someday the pain may stop.

15. Hailstorm

Hailstorm Boom Shacka

Just got married. So, I'm sure it is coming.

But, realy. Migrains suck. Dealing with VA about sucks more. When you get migrains up to 3 times a week, then they give you 18 pills for a month. Something doesn't add up.

I'm one of the lucky 3% who had a reaction the some chemicals I used for my job. Then I luck out again and the reaction never went away.

16. Fox184

Fox184

For the last year I have been suffering from Drug Induced Lupus.

Everyday my legs ache bad by the end of the day. They are so sensitive they hurt to the touch and now my hair is falling off my legs. I'll see what my blood work says now......

17. DWARREN123

DWARREN123 Grumpy Old Guy Silver Member

Yep a lot of folks live with some amount of pain. I have carpal tunnel, arthritis and three bad disc but usually get by.
    Hope you feel better fast.

18. Glock20 10mm

Glock20 10mm Use Linux!

Every single day... I manage it with diet, exercise and killing scrub jays.

19. SmokeRoss

SmokeRoss GTDS Member #49

Growing up in a family logging business was tough on the body. Glad I got out of logging when I did at 30 y.o. I've done lots of other jobs that didn't help either. Iron worker, commercial fishing, etc. Something always hurts. Then I hear about people I know that go on SSDI for being an alcoholic. Losers.

20. byf43

byf43 NRA Endowment Life Member

Injured my back in '91. L4-5.
    I've got 2-1/2 lbs of titanium in my back.

Broke my neck in '01. C5-6.
    I've got 1-1/2 lbs of titanium 'cage' in my neck.
    (C5-6 and C6-7 disks and C6 vertabra removed.)

Bad knees.
    Arthritis.

For my back, my "TENS Unit" is fantastic!!

Ibuprofen 800mg 4 times a day. Every day, to take the 'edge' off.

For really bad pain - Percocet 10.

Gettin' old ain't for sissies.