Paging Chief WPD :) | NYC: Former NYPD UC officer on no fly list.

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Gallium, Mar 21, 2010.

1. Gallium

Gallium CLM

:faint: Talk about hitting close to home.... :cool:

2. Mushinto

Mushinto Master Member

Interesting that it never came up before DHS ran him.

If he is currently involved in a new LE position, it seems that they missed that one or didn't have access to it.

ML

3. Gallium

Gallium CLM

I personally don't believe he is employed in public LE - but that's just me. And the part where he is unwilling to name his employer for security reasons is flag #2.

Flag #1 is ...if it comes up on DHS, it should have come up when his NEW employer ran his background check - which indicates to me a thorough background check was not conducted, or his current employer does not have tentacles into the national crime (criminal) database.

'Drew

4. G26S239

G26S239 NRA Patron

DHS and TSA idiocy can sure mess up people's lives. Bad info just seems to stay in the system, it reminds me of having to sue Equifax for messing up my credit report.

5. Gallium

Gallium CLM

Yeah, but the problem started with his original LE agency. Also, his former agency has more than enough connections & juice with TSA to make this go away. :cool:

6. The Fist Of Goodness

The Fist Of Goodness

If the information is what I think it is, an employer background check would not uncover it. more likely a lookout entered into a database used by DHS (formerly Customs), and never removed. It isn't a criminal history.

7. harlenm

harlenm Millennium Member

Or it did come up, and a conviction of trespassing is not a disqualifier for his current position.

8. Gallium

Gallium CLM

"Employer", yes...but the article says he is working for a law enforcement agency. Generally (as far as my limited knowledge on the subject stretches), LE agencies want you to list all arrests and convictions - no matter what the status, so I'm a bit stumped how that little topic

a) never came up or

b) didn't flag when his LE agency employer ran the background check to verify what he said about that arrest and conviction.

'Drew

9. rich52us

rich52us

NYPD BOSSI UC officers were instructed to NOT disclose arrests in the line of duty as UC because the arrests would be expunged. I know this by personal experience.

10. Gallium

Gallium CLM

Hello Rich,

Yes...but the arrest was in a file somewhere.

How does it work, if you go to work for another LE agency, where you are absolutely required to disclose all arrests - and you don't? The new agency simply does not care about NYPD policy - particularly since you've separated from that agency. Of course, in the business world, the equivalent would be some sort of NDA, as disclosing of past arrests of UCs could point to current practices...but this is LE, not Hewlett-Packard.

If a NYPD officer separates from NYPD, and seeks employment with any of the major .fed LE agencies, I can hardly think said officer would think it'd be ok to not disclose.

You can I can agree that even "expunged" arrests are still there for whichever agencies who want to, or need to see them. I know nothing about UC arrests, convictions, and their subsequent expungements.

'Drew

11. rich52us

rich52us

"Expunged" is supposed to mean that a search by another agency will not turn up the arrest. It does exist in an NYPD file in the Intelligence Division in case it does show up on a search, to show it was a line of duty arrest and shoud not be treated as a criminal arrest. I have had no issues over the years since I retired with any LE agency either local, state or federal, finding my line of duty arrests that I do not report to them when filling out paper work of any kind.

12. Bado

Bado

Do they still use their real name when undercover?

13. rich52us

rich52us

I don't know what they do now, but it can't really work any other way. We used our real name on the street when I was doing it.

Keep in mind the the kind of UC assignment we are talking about is very different than the short term UC assignments (such as narcotics or street crime) that most people think of as UC.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2010
  14. hamster

hamster NRA Life Member

hahaha this is Nothing!

Infants, Nuns, Congressmen are all on the no-fly list. The same idiots who run the TSA will be running healthcare? God help us.

15. Gallium

Gallium CLM

I know a guy who was arrested, and it was expunged...he applied for a LE job and sure enough, there it was. I also know of one LE agency that tells you you must list all arrests - even expunged ones on their paperwork. So who you do obey? The agency you were affiliated with, or the one you're trying to join? I assume that an arrest as a UC would be easy enough to explain, as your (speaking broadly regarding UCs in general) status with your former agency might end up on your new job application...

I'm not sure if you're saying you've applied for LE jobs in other agencies, or had to submit to background checks by those agencies.

'Drew

16. Gallium

Gallium CLM

Hence the reason why I "paged" ChiefWPD. Somewhere out there, there is a former NYPD cop who went deep UC for a stretch to flush out some religious fanatics... :) I think that guy even wrote a book about it. :supergrin:

'Drew

17. rich52us

rich52us

Your statement is accurate.

18. rich52us

rich52us

Yes to both, and the arrests never came up.

19. Gallium

Gallium CLM

See? I'm learning new stuff everyday.

Glad you did your "time" and came out more or less intact, thanks for your service to our mostly ungrateful community. :supergrin:

'Drew

20. rich52us

rich52us

Thanks. It was an interesting time.