close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Pager Pal popup

Discussion in 'Announcements & Support' started by bobh, Jan 9, 2004.

1. bobh

bobh

Is anyone else having problems with the Forum hanging and just taking a long time to load while the javascript (or whatever) is loading the Pager Pal popup that is now appearing on every page?

Does not happen every time, but my pc (Pentuim 4, 2.8 ghz) has hung at least twice and usually takes a long time to display the full page because of this new advertising. I understand the need for revenue, but this is annoying, there has to be a better way to show the ad.

2. OXCOPS

OXCOPS

I have not noticed any real change.

The only time I can tell GT slows down is during the peak hours for the internet. Too many people around here on cable I guess.

3. donbarzini

donbarzini a pair of 10's

Bingo, I hate that thing. I used to have no trouble at all until they added that sign from hell.

4. Douglas in CT

Douglas in CT Millennium Member

And here I was thinking it was "just me". ;P

5. bobh

bobh

Well, if my brand new, almost state of the art pc is having problems, I wonder how older ones are reacting when this popup hits them?

Funny, I react the opposite of the advertisers intent when one of this popups cause a problem on my system. Pager Pal will not be on any of my lists for purchase in the future. But, at least, the forum got their advertising money from them. So, I suppose one goal was achieved.

6. donbarzini

it's almost as if my connection speed drops from cable modem speed to dial up speed. I definately will never buy one of those

7. ChaZ

ChaZ Millennium Member

Any way to make that pager pal ad appears as red X?

-ChaZ

8. Hearmoretalkless

Hearmoretalkless

P3 500 w/ 512mgs ram

on ADSL, takes 20 secs to load.

Everyone affected should send a PM to Eric.

9. Eric

Eric Big Giant Head Staff Member Admin Silver Member

Guys, that flash graphic is only 14k. It's smaller than many of the banners on the site. I am wondering if what you guys are thinking is the slow loading of the banner is actually, just the way I constructed the animation. It takes about 20 seconds for the ad to run, but it is a self-contained process that has no affect on how the rest of the site loads or operates. The animation loads almost immediately. The fact that the objects that comprise the banner take a few seconds to appear and sort themselves out is not a delay in downloading, it is just the way the animation is written. Your computer won't start the animation at all until the entire thing is downloaded. If you are seeing any component of the animation, it has already downloaded to your system.

If there are indeed slow load-problems, I think that it is probably a bandwidth issue. The site has recently started getting quite a bit busier in the evenings. When the number of concurrent online users gets close to or exceeds 500, the page download times go up quite a bit. I think that at that point, the single T-1 connection is reaching saturation. I have two new T-1's, set up to load-balance, ready to come online. Some equipment issues have kept me from launching them before now, but I will be bringing them online in the next few days. This will take care of the bandwidth problems, for the immediate future.

Anyway, I am making changes to the system and experimenting with a few things, preparatory to the upcoming format change. I do want everyone's feedback though. I am going to start a thread in the Front Office forum, for this purpose. As the site changes are implemented, I would appreciate it if people would let me know if the spot any problems. Please keep your comments constructive and include as much information as possible, such as browser type and version and where specifically a given problem occurred, what time of the day, etc. This info will help me track down any bugs that sneak in.

I have been doing this long enough to know how most people react to change. I know there will be resistance to the format change, but I ask that you keep open minds and have a little patience with my efforts.

I have tested the flash banners at the top of the page in a number of browser types and versions, from several different types of connections, from 19K dial-up, to a direct network connection. I have not had any loading problems, or adverse effects on the site performance. If there is a problem though, I want to hear about it and I need enough information to be able to duplicate the problem. If the technology proves to be untenable I will discontinue its use, but only if there are irresolvable technical problems with its implementation.

Thanks again for the feedback folks. I am going to move this thread to the Front Office and sticky it. Eric

This is new technology for the site and for me. I have some plans for this technology which will genuinely enhance the site, once I have a better handle on how it operates.

10. hy5z

hy5z

Win98 400mhz 256mg on a 56k connection here. I don't hang on loading but I do have a fairly recent version of Sun Java on my machine. I suspect the problem may be coming from Microsoft's Java implementation.

11. Shady

Shady Under the tree

Yeah, I've had the same problem. High end system, Win XP on a corporate lan... very fast connection. Most pages pop up nearly instantly, and I've started seeing a 5 - 10 second delay as well. Time of day doesn't seem to matter.

Haven't tried at home on a different OS... will do that tonight. I've got a newish G4 Mac at home on cable. Be interesting to see what happens there.

12. Shady

Shady Under the tree

Hmmmm. Even a little draggy on the big boy. Dual 1.25 Ghz G4 w a gig of Ram on cable. Better though, and the load seems different. Seems like the whole thing pauses, then pops up all at once.

On the PC I get the glocktalk banner, a slow load of the pagerpal thing, then off to the races.

13. Eric

Eric Big Giant Head Staff Member Admin Silver Member

Hi folks. The main content of the table does load all at once because it is all contained in one table. The top of the page loads first because it is in a much smaller table. The Pager Pal banner ad is only a 14k banner. It is a Flash animation and the apperance of it taking time to load each component is just the way I built the animation. If you can see the an part of the ad, the whole thing is already loaded.

I have received info from several people that are having trouble with page load times, that are also using a firewall program. I am having the same problem. When I turn off my personal firewall, the page loads jsut as fast as always. Nothing on my network has changed that would explain why this is happening though. I am beginning to suspect that AT&T has changed soemthing on their network, or in my router's config, that is causing this problem. A solution is in site though.

We have two new T-1's standing by and will be bringing them online, in the next couple of days. It is taking longer to make the changeover, but we are close to completing preparations. Anyway, whether the problem is a lack of bandwidth, a problem with AT&T, a problem with our router or a problem with our existing firewall, this changeover should fix it. We are starting from scratch with everything. Eric

14. David_G17

David_G17 /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

maybe i'm wrong, but it seems to load fine on my PII 266 Mhz, 256megs of RAM with a 56k dial-up.

15. Shady

Shady Under the tree

Follow up... Since the cutover to the T1s the load time is much improved. Not seeing the lag that seemed to appear with the new ad.

16. donbarzini

it definately improved.

17. GlockFish

GlockFish Floyd

Here is what that evil Pager Pal banner does when I come on Glocktalk.
    I swear this is not Photoshopped or anything like that - its a screen shot.

18. mindonmatter

mindonmatter Who.....me?

What do you expect? You're using a Mac!;)

Kidding, kidding. But seriously, I wonder if other Mac users are having the same problem. I've never had a problem on the numerous PC's I've accessed GT with. Never tried it with a Mac though.

19. MB-G26

MB-G26 Non-existent STUPID GURL Lifetime Member

Interesting - I had never seen that. Then I remembered it must because I have neither Flash installed nor allow ActiveX. Of course the trade-of is I have to constantly close the ActiveX notification boxes :(

I suspect a popup like that would slow this old P166 258MB RAM on a 44-odd DUN to a complete crawl, at least. 'Probably wouldn't be able to use the site at all.
    m

20. GlockFish

GlockFish Floyd