PAF / PN newest equipment

Discussion in 'Band of Glockers' started by chowchow, Apr 9, 2007.

1. chowchow

chowchow Guest

Alam na natin na ang ibang mga bansa sa ASEAN ay halos bumibili ng bagong gamit para sa kanilang air forces and navies. Ano naman ang bago sa PAF at PN? Ano ang pinalit sa F5 ngayon? Do we have diesel-powered submarines of some kind ? Are we able to defend the country if a foreign power will try to do so? Or magdedepend parin tayo sa mga Kano? Balikatan taon taon ang saving grace natin. At halos guerilla warfare na lang ang pang labanan if worse comes to worse like Iraq?

2. Mintis458

Mintis458

3. chowchow

chowchow Guest

Sir, magandang article yun. As usual nasaan na yata ang pera?:hugs:

Clothing allowance lang yata ang pina approve ng AFP procurement , at least makikita sa mga tao ang porma ng sundalo.

4. 3kings

3kings SalingPusa

i think i read this in the newspaper yesterday.

AFP will get reconditioned flying coffins este hueys from uncle sam.

going back to the issue on defense readiness of our country. IMHO any invading country would think twice if they will indeed conquer this country. why? here are some answers.

1 as reported, this is the most corrupt country in asia.
    2. same as no.1
    3. same as no.2
    4. so on and so forth

5. isuzu

isuzu

Hueys are not flying coffins. The airframe has been so well designed to be rugged, and it's still good for another 20 years of service. The airframe is so sturdy, that the Huey family of helicopters have only grown. In fact, we had an upgrade on our Hueys for high output and high performance engines in the late 80's or early 90's.

BTW, Uncle Sam still use the UH1H. The U.S. National Guard still uses them. The UH1H is still widely used in the civilian sector. The US Marines use a newer version of the Huey which is the UH1Y.

http://www.bellhelicopter.com/en/aircraft/military/bellHueyII.cfm

http://www.bellhelicopter.com/en/aircraft/military/bellUH-1Y.cfm

http://www.bellhelicopter.com/en/aircraft/commercial/bell210.cfm

The bell 412 is the presidential helicopter. I think we have 5 of them, could fly IFR with night vision capabilities:

http://www.bellhelicopter.com/en/aircraft/commercial/bell412.cfm

6. akula

akula BizDuc NM Millennium Member

7. isuzu

isuzu

Originally posted by chowchow

We need fast crafts and frigates, not submarines.

Gen. Corpus envisioned a local guerilla fighting force (aside from the regular forcec) for each region/area which is more effective and hard to detect by the enemy, and would suite our terrain (I wonder if the book he was writing at this time has come out already).

8. chowchow

chowchow Guest

It is cost effective sa AFP na e upgrade ang existing Bell choppers. Kunteng familiarization and less training on flying them sa mga pilots natin. Proven record rin din ang airframe na yan.

9. Glock_19_9x19

Glock_19_9x19 Toink!

Lemme share my observation about our navy and air force's current state and "future" modernization program.

The navy needs Fast Attack Crafts, Missile(FACM)..We have 3 Peacock class offshore patrol boats(Which our navy affectionately calls "corvettes") na ex-Royal Navy...Each has a single 76mm Oto Melera Gun and a couple of MG mounts, but no missiles, and some US or SoKor donated Cyclone class
    Patrol Coastal Boats..
    We do have WW2-era ships defending our waters pero very insufficient and vintage na mga yun.

In comparison to the Malaysian, Indonesian, and even Vietnamese navies....kawawa talaga tayo.

As for our Air Force....sadly wala na talaga pagasa yung mga Vietnam war era F5As natin..they're too old, too costly to maintain and too dangerous to fly. We did have F8 Crusaders nung time ni Marcos, but these were kept in open storage for a long time and were damaged beyond repair by the wrath of the Mt Pinatubo eruption nung 90s. The handful Ov-10s and S211s that we still have are fully pressed for Counter-insurgency (COIN) sorties in which magagaling and veterano na yung mga PAF pilots natin.

If only may budget lang and desidido ang AFP to acquire 2nd hand multirole F-16s, Harrier jump jets,light attack helicopters, FACs and light frigates...

Sadly....I rily don't see those things coming for the next 10 years.. :sad:

At least may mga upgrades and new equipment ang army natin..

10. cebuboy

cebuboy toy soldier

I think what we need to address first is the army, we have problems even in the most basic of equipment. The other services exist to support the army:) Our air force, sad to say is that it is all air no force. The navy on the other hand has some fast patrol boats, a cyclone calss and the sea dolphin class of patrol boats. They are fast and well armed. One of the problems we have with regards to equipment is maintenance.

One of those boats is the Salvador Abcede, it takes about an hour to start up the engines and the transmission is broken:)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. chowchow

chowchow Guest

Cebuboy
    Mukhang ang sarap sarap ng kasamahan ninyo dyan sa grupo. Pati mga gamit exotic. I like that Garand. Is he the designated marksman? Or CAFGU (joke lang)? The guy with the thompson smg, looks cool. Gun looks new even the wood stock .
    Talaga it takes an hour for it run? ano bayan diesel engine at may glow plugs para mag warm up? At least meyron at nag serve sa bayan natin.
    BTW anong operation ito? Meyron bang encounter pag katapos?

12. cebuboy

cebuboy toy soldier

Those two old farts are my squadmates, they just dont like the M16:) Yes, the one with the garand is the SDM. We are reservists of the HHSC 1CRRBN on a medical mission to camotes island. and no encounter for us, its a job of the regulars:)

The engines are MTU diesels, it takes a while and a lot of smoke for it to warm up. And once under way, it can go 30+ knots, not bad for a hand me down piece of equipment.

13. chowchow

chowchow Guest

Pagkatapos bai masarap ng pulutan at maligo sa dagat. WHite sands din yata sa Camotes.

14. horge

horge -=-=-=-=- Lifetime Member

IMO, lang...
    The single biggest hurdle to an SRDP-style local defense industry is
    the lack of a procurement allocation line-itemed into the national
    budget. No money, then no buying. No local outfit will burn money on
    R&D if there is no money in sight for AFP purchases. No shipyard can
    borrow money to begin building, if there is no PN budget to pay for
    the ship after it's completed. Same goes for land armor and aircraft.
    Until our idiotic tax structure is overhauled, and the Supreme Court
    is constitutionally declared incompetent to nullify properly-signed
    and willingly entered BUSINESS CONTRACTS w/ RP.gov, without even
    pro forma protestations/suits sending said contracts to SCORP for
    review (!!!), there is no hope.

That said, there are some things I'd like to see locally-provided.

PAF - What I'd like to see are fixed wing troop transports.
    Commercial airframes can be converted quickly to a gunship profile,
    then back to troop carrier. Nothing fancy. While I'd like to
    see fixed wing COIN (a' la Super Tucano), the PADC fiasco
    is still a very raw sore.

PN - I'd prefer investment in floating docks. No restricted
    technology involved: in fact, FFCruz and Aboitiz-Tsuneishi have
    built their own for commercial purposes. The hulls are easily
    adaptible as troop transports (The Frank Besson class vessels
    bought from the US are essentially the same). Build a helo
    deck and hangar over the cradle and you have a mini LHA, with
    short range assault boats and troops in the cradle. The
    semi-submersible aspect is good training towards managing or even
    building full submersibles; I'd like to see merchant hulls
    converted to OPV's ---easier to disguise them as 'research vessels'
    without sacrificing armament/capability.

PA - Finned ordnance development, to extend artillery range by
    some 150% The GA really needs to supply 100% of AFP ordnance needs,
    since it's already got a safe contract by law, but maybe that safe
    contract has made GA fat and lazy. I'd like to see modular,
    collapsible field hospitals: 15 minutes to set up, 15 minutes to
    take down, 200+ patient capacity (I'm an architect, and it can be done),
    truck or helo delivery.

PA & PMC - More hardened gun trucks, and fully collapsible (not RHIB)
    boats (for riverine and lake crossings).

FWIW, JMO, YMMV, etc.
    horge

15. isuzu

isuzu

The F5-As have been decommissioned, I believe late last year. The F-8 Crusaders weren't used much because it just consumed too much fuel. A one hour flight of an F-8 is equivalent to three UH-1H one-hour flight. It's just not economically viable to fly the Crusader.

What we need in terms of military transport are:

a) C-130s, for fast deployment of troops as well as fast response in case of calamities. Canada is phasing out all its C-130H in a couple of years time and would be replacing them with C-130Js and C-17 Globemasters. They could give them to other countries.

b) We need turboprop planes that could loiter longer such as the OV-10 Broncos, the Embraer Super Tucanos and the A-10 Warthog, which can fly low and slow. Jets have proven useless in Vietnam in COIN roles. Sayang, at the same time we decommissioned our F5s, Canada also decommissioned their F5s and were just scrapped. Some were donated to aeronautical schools. Kaso lang, parts for the F5s are starting to dry up. F-16s are slowly being phased out. Buying them would just be a waste of money. Even the US Navy has already decommissioned the F-14 Tomcat.

c) Helicopters. Both troop carriers and gunships. The UH-1H is a good example of a troop carrier. It could land in tight places where the Blackhawk can't. The S-76 that we had was purely a business helicopter that the PAF converted into a gunship. It was good while it lasted. It couldn't handle the punishment military helicopters are expected to take. The MG-520 is a good gunship; fast and agile. We need logistical support to keep them flying.

d) Ships, both fast crafts and cargo ships. Our cargo ships are so old, and they're so slow. The Marines also need boats that they could quickly deploy and navigate in shallow waters.

16. Kiddo

Kiddo Guest

Guys, for more Philippine defense related discussions, you can visit this site.

Lots of nice guys there too but also has a couple of trolls once in a while.

17. Glock_19_9x19

Glock_19_9x19 Toink!

Sir kiddo, what's a troll? :)

18. Mintis458

Mintis458

The PAF's last F-5s were retired late 2005. RP has been without a respectable air defense capability for almost 2 years. Have a friend who's a medical officer in the PAF, a major, and he still gets butterflies in his stomach whenever he has to do his required flight time in PAF aircraft, whether in UH-1s or C-130s. And out of the total number of fixed wing aircraft and helicopters in Villamor and Mactan Airbase, for example, a substantial number are inoperable and long awaiting repair.
    If I remember right, the modernization plan in the early to mid-90s linked external defense capability to natural resource protection. Mayaman pa rin ang Pilipinas sa mga natural resources, lalo pa kung ikukumpara sa mga bansa tulad ng Singapore, Hongkong SAR and Japan. A respectable (not necessarily the most powerful or most modern) PAF as well as an efficient capable PN would make foreign intruders think twice about stealing our resources, especially our fisheries.

Magaganda nga sana mga plano, pero bakit hanggang ngayon walang nangyayari?

19. Kiddo

Kiddo Guest

Sir, a troll is like someone who intentionally posts derogatory or otherwise inflammatory messages about sensitive topics. I think we had a couple here in BOG before pero nawala rin. Hehe. :)

20. boni

boni ako ito bok!

nag hihirap na ba talaga yung armed forces natin sir? ba't nun andun ako fort boni eh parang hindi naman kapos sa pera ang AFP ah. :supergrin:

by the way, sir, trolling ba tawag mo sa post ko? hehehe ;)