Paddle Yer Own Canoe

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by FullClip, Jun 15, 2020.

1. FullClip

FullClip Native Mainiac CLM

Yesterday was kind of strange here weather-wise. Was sunny and calm for a while, then the wind would pick up a bit, clouds roll in, and then get sunny again.

One thing I noticed were several canoes on the lake...with very amature operators. Yeah, it looks easy, but with a bit of a breeze, it can be tricky to maintain headway or keep course in a canoe, especially if you are solo. One idjit from the campground had to be towed back by somebody who had a pontoon boat. He was a "big" boy, but sitting in the stern so that the bow was a foot out of the water and acting like a weathervane.
    Kayaks are a lot easier, and that's what I normally use, but one nice mornings or evenings when I want to fly fish I take out my Old Town Kingfisher. Have cane kits to redo the seats on order.
    Anybody here regularly paddle a canoe?

2. tarpleyg

tarpleyg

I have paddled many a canoe and they are best operated as a team. Also, most "rental" canoes aren't the right kind for taking to open water. They have no keel and therefore almost zero ability to track a straight line.

3. G19Tony

G19Tony Sneet CLM

Sounds elitist to me.

4. Inyo Tim

Inyo Tim Senior Moment

I earned my merit badge.
    upload_2020-6-15_7-57-25.png

5. paynter2

paynter2 It ain't over Millennium Member

I've been canoeing all my life. We used to canoe N. WI rivers when we were just kids. Mom would drop us off at one landing and pick us up in a day or two at another landing. We took (obviously) a canoe, frying pan, cooking gear, tent, etc. I don't remember how old I was - but I couldn't drive. And my brother was 4 years younger.

Paddling a canoe does take some practice. But it's not that difficult. I see 'trained' paddlers making an exaggerated 'J stroke' to keep straight. Just make a stroke and drag the paddle a little before lifting for the next stroke. The actual stroke will tend to turn your canoe a little. Dragging before lifting brings the bow right back on line. In a wind you may have to speed up your paddle rate a little to keep the bow from swapping ends. But it's basically the same storke.

Those Wisconsin rivers were great. Strong currents and good, clean, water. Some of them were rocky, some clear. There was on river that we'd float early in the year that was actually dangerous. We were too stupid to care. We actually destroyed an aluminum canoe on one spring (flood) trip One of the girls with us refused to get back into another canoe - we had to walk her out thru the woods to a farm house. I have to admit it was a harrowing experience.

It was on the Minnesota Kettle river - very near the N. WI border. Spring run-off made it wild - and very cold water. We really had no business on the river that time of year. Especially with inexperienced canoers (sp). We flipped a canoe and it got hung up on a big rock - the current bent it right around the rock. We all had life jackets - but the cold water and early spring temps made it very dangerous. Kids don't worry about such things.

Check this out - I didn't bid on it. I figured it would go much higher than this so i didn't follow it. I really didn't need it. I have an aluminum Lund Snipe - similar in design. I use it on the dark water, rocky lakes around home. And I don't know much about Old Town canoes. But I think this was a really good price. I also posted a picture of my Snipe - below.

http://www.do-bid.com/cgi-bin/mnlist.cgi?dobid127/57

Snipe.jpg

Last edited: Jun 15, 2020
  6. IAhunter

IAhunter Venor ergo sum

Just north of the wall, Cochise County, Arizona
    I had one over thirty years ago when I lived in Flagstaff, AZ. Bought it used. It was one of the Coleman Ram-X plastic cheapies. Worked well in the lakes up there though. I used to like being towed around the lake when I would hook into a pike.

porschedog, glock1097, Bus007 and 2 others like this.
  7. Hicksville Kid

Hicksville Kid

No, I never paddled a canoe but I did work at Grumman. :waving:

8. RichardB

RichardB Matthew 25:31-46

Need pictures of weathervane canoes to counter all the bad stuff on the news . Just but a horizontal black box on his face , or other parts if good taste requires, to avoid privacy act issues.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

9. 63Bravo

63Bravo

The best aluminum canoe made..

SouthVA, porschedog and FullClip like this.
  10. FullClip

Was the aluminum one here a Grumman??
    [​IMG]

11. BigBluefish

BigBluefish

Used to fish out of one when I was a kid through college. A 17' bright yellow fiberglass Mohawk. A little tippy and oh so entertaining on a choppy lake with a
    grumpy 3-foot Northern trying to bite your toes off.

Lost it when a thunderstorm brought down a white pine and squashed it flat.

12. Gino

Gino Millennium Member

Aren't Old Town canoes the really nice wooden ones? You going uptown on us?

Inyo Tim and FullClip like this.
  13. paynter2

Yes - difficult to be precise. But I'm sure the blue sticker on the bow was the Grumman logo.

We had a 'drinking' canoe that we'd take on summer trips. The Namakagan River in N. WI is just a great river for floating - no need to paddle. The current was so strong that you had to fight to stand in thigh deep water. But it was, for the most part, placid. That drinking boat was a big Grumman square stern. It was heavy and big. We could load that thing with many coolers. Two of our big boys would put seats in it it with backs on them. We called it the 'Whale Boat'.

Grumman made, probably still does, great canoes. We used them a lot in the Boundary Waters of N. MN. Now everyone wants Kevlar. Much lighter and very strong.

Inyo Tim likes this.
  14. FullClip

Old Town used to make some wicked nice canoes. Now it's pretty much plastic. Mine is fiberglass with a keel and flat inner deck. But still has the wooden yoke and seats. I just refinished the wood and waiting on the woven cane seating material. For years I just used a plywood insert that I upholstered for a seat...but want it back original.
    kingfisher.jpg

15. sciolist

sciolist On the Border

Inyo Tim likes this.
  16. Hicksville Kid

Hicksville Kid

Yes, that is the Grumman modern logo on the bow.

FullClip likes this.
  17. paynter2

18. Rawah

Rawah

I love canoeing. Being able to strap it on my 4Runner and 4 wheel into remote spots with it is awesome IMO. Sometimes when a buddy asks to borrow a canoe, I’ll let em take a 38” wide square stern fishing canoe and enjoying watching them trying to get it to track straight.

FullClip and Inyo Tim like this.
  19. LEO/Dad

LEO/Dad Navy Veteran

I think I did to at Scout camp. I also recall how we were taught to right a tipped over canoe by two.

FullClip and Inyo Tim like this.
  20. Ramjet38

Ramjet38 Mentally Frozen

Had one many years ago and loved it.

Inyo Tim, FullClip and Intolerant like this.