Paddle Holsters

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by happyguy, Oct 23, 2020.

1. happyguy

happyguy Man, I'm Pretty

Thinking about one for quick on and off.

Which ones are your favorite and why?

Regards,
    Happyguy :)

2. benben

benben

Comp-tac hands down!

Orive 8, happyguy and oldmick like this.

3. oldmick

oldmick

I’ve used several models of Comp-Tac over the years. I really like the Paddle. It holds the pistol well, easy on and off but never moves when walking, running.

Here’s one for my Sig 320cRX

36C0377F-4B80-46DB-9A68-6B0270C45FFD.jpeg

Orive 8 and happyguy like this.
  4. okiegtrider

okiegtrider

I've been using the paddle attachments on a Bravo concealment for a few weeks now. Getting along with it pretty well. Very secure, rides close to the body. I also have a pair of the paddles on a Bravo double magazine carrier. Not liking that too much, it's just too long and the front paddle hits me in a pretty uncomfortable place. I've used paddles for years, my work is such that I have to take the gun on and off sometimes. Paddles aren't perfect, but can be a good answer for some folks.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

happyguy likes this.
  5. fastbolt

fastbolt

Many modern plastic paddle holsters have wide "stabilizing" paddles that take up too much IWB real estate. The front & rear edges can find and annoy pressure points.

I rather liked the older leather paddle holsters, where a thick & stiffened narrow leather "paddle" slipped inside the waist line. That leather paddle more easily shaped itself to conform to the anatomy of the wearer. The holster was stabilized inside the pants by a leather loop that snapped around the belt.

Tex Shoemaker made some excellent vintage paddles.

Here's one I bought back in the 80's, for a 3" M36. Note in pics 3 & 4 how you can see the curved shape taken by the leather paddle as it conformed to body shape as the result of time and body heat.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

While some of the softer plastic paddles are more flexible than the thicker, stiff and unyielding polymers (kydex, concealex, whatever), I've never found a plastic paddle that approached, let alone rivaled, a good quality all-leather paddle for sheer comfort.

Also, with a leather paddle being retained inside the waistband by virtue of the paddle shaping itself to your body, and a snap loop securing it to your belt, it's nicely stable. No plastic hooks built into the middle or outer edges of the paddle, to try and shove down inside the waistband, or later try to lift up over and the lower edge of the bottom of the belt and the cloth of your pants. The leather paddle just slides in and out between the waistband and the shirt.

I own a variety of plastic paddles for some of my newer pistols because they were easily available, and all-leather paddles are becoming less easy to find. (You can find leather holsters attached to plastic paddles.)

Another thing I can say about leather is that while I've had a couple of plastic paddle holsters break apart or crack due to impact, I've not yet had a leather holster break in a similar manner. ;)

Sure, you may experience a "tear" in leather at a stress point, or a waxed nylon thread may eventually rot and come apart over the course of years, but good leather can last for a long time.

A good leather holster can conform to your body like a good pair of leather shoes.

Caver 60, okiegtrider and happyguy like this.
  6. oogy_pls

oogy_pls

I have a midwest tactical solutions for concealed owb.

For open owb I have a safariland 6360 with a QLS so I can move the holster from the paddle to my duty belt.

happyguy likes this.
  7. kenzo

kenzo

Former Comp-Tac user, now very happy with the Vedder Paddle Holster.

happyguy likes this.
  8. Glockdude1

Glockdude1 Federal Member CLM

9. nursetim

nursetim

I like the old Bianchi paddle holsters with the scrotum shaped paddle covered in suede.

Caver 60 and happyguy like this.
  10. okiegtrider

okiegtrider

I used a couple of Blackhawks for about ten years. They served me well. Still have them. If I find that I don't like the Bravo Concealment as much I'll probably go right back to them.

happyguy and Glockdude1 like this.
  11. collim1

collim1

I order some pretty expensive leather holsters for guns that I carry.

For range only fun guns I buy cheap used Fobus holsters on eBay to use in the range. I often get them for $5-7 bucks.

They are cheap, comfortable, perfectly adequate for that use. I like the Fobus because they are easy to slip in and out without undoing your belt like a lot of paddle holsters require.

happyguy likes this.
  12. Valmet

Valmet M62/76 Silver Member

Boring old Fobus for me. Affordable and lightweight.

happyguy likes this.
  13. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

I have the paddle attachment for my Safarilands, works well enough.

happyguy likes this.