Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a holster I can take on and off multi times A day. How does A good leather paddle compare to A owb holster for comfort?

THanks GWARD

·
Scouts Out
23,815 Posts
Pretty good. Although I've had one's paddle break taking it off after about 6 months.

You might also want to consider something like a Galco Side Snap Scabbard Holster as an option as well.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I occasionally use a Safariland 518 paddle and it works well. I use it when concealment is not my primary concern. But I do like that it has a tension adjustment screw. I also once had an uncle mike's paddle break when I was removing it, of course it was a cheaper holster.

·
Registered
15,537 Posts
Paddle holsters are usually not going to conceal as well an OWB. They are handy for taking on and off constantly, but as a result they also can be pulled off your belt by a BG.

I was issued a Safariland paddle holster for a while and could not stand it. It would rock back and forth throughout the day.

Bianchi makes a Carrylock holster that snaps onto your belt and does not require threading on and off your belt. Not quite as fast as the paddle, but more secure IMO.

http://www.bianchi-intl.com/product/Prod.php?TxtModelID=84

·
l'Italia s'è desta
7,575 Posts
My usual OWB carry is paddle, and I find it quite comfortable and secure. It conceals well, too.

Positioning the paddle properly against my thigh makes all the difference.

·
Registered
5,660 Posts
I think comp Tac has about the best paddle out there

·
bulletproof
1,852 Posts
I think comp Tac has about the best paddle out there
I agree. I've been using a Comp Tac paddle when I carry OWB and at every IDPA shoot I do. It has held up really well, and I bought it when it was already well used.

·
Registered
542 Posts
My OWB carry is in a comp-tac paddle. It's shaped to pull the G26 into your side rather than let the heavy grip pull it outwards. Easy on, easy off, no dislocating your shoulder trying to get it off. Can't beat it.

·
Registered
7,148 Posts
A paddle is an OWB holster. I'm not sure what your question is. Some paddle holsters are excellent. A good paddle holster is hard to remove from the belt. Crappy ones are easy to remove, and become easily dislodged. The blackhawk serpa is a good mid-range paddle. Galco makes some nice ones in leather. Paddle holsters tend to stand a little further out from the belt, increasing comfort, and decreasing concealability. As with any belt mounted holster, paddle holsters will not perform as designed unless worn on a proper gunbelt.
I need a holster I can take on and off multi times A day. How does A good leather paddle compare to A owb holster for comfort?

THanks GWARD

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
A paddle is an OWB holster. I'm not sure what your question is. Some paddle holsters are excellent. A good paddle holster is hard to remove from the belt. Crappy ones are easy to remove, and become easily dislodged. The blackhawk serpa is a good mid-range paddle. Galco makes some nice ones in leather. Paddle holsters tend to stand a little further out from the belt, increasing comfort, and decreasing concealability. As with any belt mounted holster, paddle holsters will not perform as designed unless worn on a proper gunbelt.
The point I was trying to make is the hassle of threading the belt through the holster versus clipping to the the waistband and belt. GWARD

·
Registered
232 Posts
I have been using inexpensive Fobus paddle holsters for some years now. They work well, hold the gun close, and are relatively easy to take on and off. (I work in an office environment.) Other paddle holster stick out too far, IMO; although I have not tried the Comp-Tac.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
I used a Blackhawk paddle holster for a while. It was quite comfortable. All polymer, so it won't go soft or disfigure on you.
Lightweight, too.

·
Swollen Member
871 Posts
I rock a Fobus paddle. I have a Fobus roto-paddle too. Honestly, they're the 2 most comfy holsters I've had. I use 'em for carry and for IDPA. They don't hide nearly as easily as even a pancake, but are FAR more comfy. I don't mind sacrifincing for speed. Actually, I prefer them for belt rigs(Even over my Galco Royal Guard or their Summer Comfort) I go galco for leather and Fobus for plastics. I really have taken to the paddle though. I may give a Galco paddle a try soon. Whew, outta breath... dam* I talk a lot...

·
IYAAYWOT
3,516 Posts
I rock a Fobus paddle. I have a Fobus roto-paddle too. Honestly, they're the 2 most comfy holsters I've had. I use 'em for carry and for IDPA. They don't hide nearly as easily as even a pancake, but are FAR more comfy. I don't mind sacrifincing for speed. Actually, I prefer them for belt rigs(Even over my Galco Royal Guard or their Summer Comfort) I go galco for leather and Fobus for plastics. I really have taken to the paddle though. I may give a Galco paddle a try soon. Whew, outta breath... dam* I talk a lot...
I use the Fobus GL26 for my G26 and a C21 for my PF-9; both do great for me. I also have a GL4 Roto for my G30SF that sucks hind tit for concealment.

·
GUNS=FREEDOM
2,688 Posts
Have only positive experience with Fobus paddle holsters vis-a-vis retention, comfort and speed of draw. Plenty of IPSC shooters use them here too.

·
USN Retired
8,116 Posts
Where does the paddle go? Between the belt and pants, placing the paddle on the outside of the pants?
I have a paddle attachment for my Serpa, but couldn't figure an advantage over the belt loop attachment.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Most people wear the paddle under the pants. The advantage is if you take your gun off multiple times a day, you don't need to remove your belt.

·
USN Retired
8,116 Posts
Most people wear the paddle under the pants. The advantage is if you take your gun off multiple times a day, you don't need to remove your belt.
I guess "advantage" was the wrong word, to use. I was brain farting as to how to word that statement. More like practicality, because I could not figure how to use the paddle effectively. I tried putting it inside my pants but it seemed quite the chore. :embarassed: Its been a while, maybe I'll try it again.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts