close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Packing For a Trip

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Gonzoso, Jun 13, 2012.

1. Gonzoso

Gonzoso

Do you pack the morning you leave or the night before?

I spent my evening loading up my subaru with kayaks, paddles, pfd's, tent, sleeping bag, fishing stuff etc for a several day trip to a large lake with the gf.

I hate dealing with packing in the morning, I like to just get in the car and go!

However the minute I got done packing my buddy texts me telling me about break ins in my nice neighborhood, now I'm kinda tempted to sleep in my car.:crying:

I'm kinda wishing we had a dog worth a damn here, this rat chihuahua is good for nothing as far as security goes.

2. ca survivor

ca survivor

If I pack at night, it won't be there in the morning LOL, I put everything by the door and load the car when ready to leave,

3. M&P15T

M&P15T Beard One

I used to be Mr. Get Ready the Night Before.

Then I lived with a few women, and it became completely pointless. They're gonna putz around anyways, you're not gonna stop it, so I just take my sweet time loading that morning while they do whatever the hell it is they do.

4. Z71bill

Z71bill

Always the night before for a long trip.

If I know I am going to be driving for 12+ hours I want to leave early -

If I plan to be pulling out of the driveway by 5:00 AM I really have no choice - except to pack up the night before.

The only thing NOT already packed will be one small bag with a few personal items + spare cash and my firearms.

I live in a "good" neighborhood - but realize there is always a risk. My SUV has an alarm and the stuff inside is sort of tied down - so it would not be grab and go.

A few years back - I had a neighbor that lived across the street (glad he moved) - I always got the feeling he was part criminal.

He would watch us pack up the night before - obvious we were taking a trip - then see we were gone and know our house was empty for a few days at least.

I almost never talked with him - but one day he saw me filling the back of the Tahoe with suitcases and he came over and ask if I was taking a trip - how long would I be gone?

I said yes - a few days - then added - if you hear my alarm going off you don't need to call the police - the security service will notify them automatically.

He got a strange look on his face - hard to tell if it was - CRAP I won't be able to break in now - or - You think I am a thief! Maybe it was both?

He said he would still keep an eye on the place for me. I said thanks.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2012
  5. Glock20 10mm

Glock20 10mm Use Linux!

Pack and arrange everything one to two days before. Go to bed early and wake up early to do one last inventory then load and go.

6. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

There is too much truth in there....

I don't load car but do pack bags, make list of stuff I need to grab (out of fridge) Thats with a locked garage, dog....

7. dango

dango

Sleep in your car when you feel that way.I would . I once had a feeling that I didn't follow and I paid dearly.

8. byf43

byf43 NRA Endowment Life Member

I try to pack the vehicle at least the night before we go on a trip, but, being married to the woman I have, that's impossible!!!

Still, the car/van (whatever) is packed inside of a closed garage.
    I don't advertise that I'm about to leave. . . period.

9. Chuck66

Chuck66 Traveling Man

If it's just clothes, the morning of. If it's camping I load up the night before, otherwise it's an hour lost in the morning and that gets under my skin and kind of wrankles me for the first bit of the trip.

If it's kayaking, I load up everything but the boat(s), and just throw them on in the morning.

10. JohnBT

JohnBT NRA Benefactor

I load the vehicle right before I leave because I live downtown and park on the street.

And there are four bars/restaurants within a block. Make that six if you count the takeout Chinese and Italian places. Seven if you count the 7-11. :)

John

11. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

If I can, I pack in laundry baskets and backpackers. As clothing gets dirty it goes into a trash bag. I like one bag with meds and toiletries in it. Then ill have a backpack withlaptop a couple books and supplies for me to do chainmail or fining knit. Everything will fit in a large basket. No matter what, I take my own pillow.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

12. Mrs. VR

Mrs. VR Sharon, you will be missed.

We pack everything before but never put it in the car til we are about to Leave. I would like to mention, however, that I am ALWAYS the first one ready, standing at the door tapping my toes. :tease:

13. G19Tony

G19Tony Sneet CLM

You'd be the first. :tongueout:

When I was married. I could rebuild the engine in the car while she was getting ready to go. :whistling:

14. Huaco Kid

Huaco Kid

**** your buddy.

Go camping.

15. JBaird22

JBaird22

I'm a get ready before hand sort of guy. However, my wife tries to adopt my strategy of get ready before hand but it always turns out bad. We don't practice what some would call "communication" very well and her idea of when we should leave never is spoken. Its generally about 30 minutes after when any sane person would leave.

16. droidfire

droidfire

I pack and then leave.

Sometimes this means I am packing for over a day straight.

The upshot is I never forget anything, because everything has a place in modular storage the vehicle is laid out with as the first step in packing.

Then it's just a matter of getting what goes to it's spot there.

I travel, a whole lot, and usually have to live and work out of the vehicle for the most part, so everything is pretty immediately accessible without having to unload the vehicle to get to it.

Weight balanced and as low as possible to preserve a proper center of gravity in the vehicle, and a host of other considerations need to be taken into account in loading.

Packing is an art form - it truly is.

It's also a task I get considerable more enjoyment out of then I probably should, but I like organizing things.

17. devildog2067

devildog2067

I pack the night before and stage by the door. I fly more than drive nowadays anyway.

18. Rick C

Rick C affiant

I depart a day or two early and leave the packing to the help.:cool: