close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

packet vs bytes

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by gudel, Aug 17, 2004.

1. gudel

gudel

On my laptop, the connection properties for my LAN shows activity in Packets, while on the desktop, it shows activity in Bytes.
    Is there any way to change this on either of them? I'd prefer to see bytes rather than packets.

i'm sure this is somewhere on google or MSKB, but my keywords just don't seem to cut it :(

2. chevrofreak

chevrofreak Senior Member

Different programs use different packet size. Packets and speed dont really translate.

3. gudel

gudel

no, that's not it. i know the difference.

rephrase, double click on your local area network icon on your taskbar. go to the Activity section on the bottom half. Here you will see Packets vs Bytes in the Sent and Received. How can I change from viewing Packets in the Sent/Receive to Bytes. Bytes information is more useful.

4. chevrofreak

chevrofreak Senior Member

Ah, sorry, I misunderstood what you meant. I am unaware of a way to change that though.

5. gudel

gudel

nobody knows? heh.. i know this one is hard.

6. David_G17

David_G17 /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

same OS?

could it have something to do with the NIC drivers?

7. gudel

gudel

Same OS, everything on XP Pro SP2. they're 3com cards and a linksys wireless pccard. 1 desktop with 3com gigabit, shows in bytes. 1 desktop with 3com 905c, shows in bytes. 1 desktop with 3com 905c, shows in packet. one laptop with 3com pccard, shows in packet, one laptop with linksys wireless, shows in bytes.
    can't really be the drivers, since there's two identical 3com 905c cards in two different desktops, one for packet and one for bytes.