PA: Three county legislators back bill that would make it easier to CCW

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by HerrGlock, Feb 15, 2013.

1. g23rob

g23rob

finally a sensible gun law

2. md2lgyk

md2lgyk

I thought PA was shall-issue, but I guess it's not? It's already pretty easy to get a permit there - I applied for my PA non-rez online, and it came in the mail. I've since renewed it twice through the mail.

3. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

PA and AL are permissive May Issue states. They generally act Shall Issue but there is a character statement requirement in each of the laws that is completely subjective.

Philly abuses that character determination and refuses to issue for traffic fines and whatnot.

Biggest argument against trying to get the character statement taken out is the legislators might push for more restrictions on where someone can carry in order to pass it. It's just been less painful to live with permissive may issue and grumble at Philly so far.

I hope they just take the one line out of the law and eliminate the subjective character stuff.

4. SCmasterblaster

SCmasterblaster G17 carrier since 1989 Millennium Member

Those three guys would get my vote.

5. HKLovingIT

HKLovingIT Resident Evil

Love the comment from the local gun control group:

"We respect the Second Amendment," she said. "But to say this is an inalienable right is just an effort to subvert the local authorities and the attorney general."

That thar 2A is "icky" and uncomfortable ain't it? :rofl:

Last edited: Feb 15, 2013
  6. jthrelf

jthrelf

Hmm. My county sheriff didn't ask for a character statement and there was no interview. Then again my record is 100% perfect.

7. Toetag

Toetag Wannabe

How would a Cop on the street know whether or not that the gun that he found in your possession is/was yours?

Doesn't this get us started down the road to registration?

I hope to be wrong on this.........

Last edited: Feb 16, 2013
  8. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

Irrelevant. I would agree with the cop checking the serial number against NCIC to see if the gun was reported stolen, though.

9. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

Move to Philadelphia and see if that's the case.

10. Toetag

Toetag Wannabe

Beg to differ....How would you prove that you're the rightful owner of the firearm in question?

11. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

Perhaps I'm missing something. That is a completely irrelevant question. Not only irrelevant but there is no way to answer it right now.

I move into PA with pistols and go get a CCW. How would I "prove" I'm the owner? Not my problem. It's up the the police to prove I'm not if they believe it so.

Besides, there is no registration in PA

So, I'll ask you the same question. Right now, today, how do you prove you're the owner? You don't. You don't have to. There is no requirement to do so, either.

12. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

You do know that in 40+ states face to face purchases are perfectly legal without any paperwork at all, right?

You also do know if someone moves to PA, not a single one of their firearms is in the PA system, right?

Hell, MD is a serious anti state and getting worse and even there if you move into the state there is no record of your firearms, there is no registration nor is there any way for the police to have any idea you have them.

If the police believe you to not be the owner, it's up to them to prove it, NOT up to you to prove you are.

13. Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Firearms have been illegally seized by police because the "data base" search either came back with no record or the name on the transfer was not the name of the individual stopped.

14. HKLovingIT

HKLovingIT Resident Evil

Hmm. That reminds me of TBO's thread of a "lost" gun found in the John.

So maybe having a PDF scan of the papers for your carry gun saved on your phone would be a good idea.

15. jdpst20

jdpst20

It's been 27 business days since I've applied for my permit in Pittsburgh, Allegheny county. IDK what is taking this long unless they are just massively swamped by applicants. Been like 37 total days. I submitted my app by email. I didn't get any initial response saying they received it or it was being processed. Is there a way to call or stop by the office and see when the heck my app will be done? I Def have clean record too.

16. Lee-online

Lee-online Mul-ti-pass

The Constitutional Carry bill HB 2176 died in committee last year. It had 23 sponsors at that time and we are trying to get more this year.

http://www.legis.state.pa.us/cfdocs...d=0&billBody=H&billTyp=B&billNbr=2176&pn=3292

PA has a pretty good permit process if it not abused. Most sheriffs issue on the spot, no wait, no training, no fingerprints and only $20 for 5 years. Alot of other states could follow this and not have any ill effects.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2013