close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

PA LTCF question

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by Kith, Mar 3, 2010.

1. Kith

Kith

I have a Pennsyvlania License To Carry Firearms.

A Firearm, as defined by the Pennsylvania Uniform Firearms Act is:

""Firearm." Any pistol or revolver with a barrel length less than 15 inches, any shotgun with a barrel length less than 18 inches or any rifle with a barrel length less than 16 inches, or any pistol, revolver, rifle or shotgun with an overall length of less than 26 inches. The barrel length of a firearm shall be determined by measuring from the muzzle of the barrel to the face of the closed action, bolt or cylinder, whichever is applicable."

This includes short barreled shotguns/rifles.

If I legally obtained (got NFA paperwork approved, paid my tax) a short barreled rifle, like a Colt 6921 (14" barrel) for instance, does this mean I could load up a mag and sling it over my shoulder and stroll around the neighborhood?

Same situation, but instead of walking around the neighborhood, I sling it over my shoulder, hop on my motorcycle, and go for a drive? (loaded)

For the record:

I don't have any NFA firearms.

I don't intend to wander around aimlessly with a loaded rifle slung over my shoulder.

The motorcycle question may be more valid within the next year or so.

Ultimately, before I did something like this i'd have a chat with an attorney, but that costs money and I can't do this because I don't have the stuff to do so anyway.

Figured i'd throw this hypothetical question out to the GT brain trust and see what you guys had to say.

2. RussP

RussP Super Moderator Moderator

Kith, your post is confusing. You say you want to know if you can, but you don't plan on doing it, but before you do it you'll consult an attorney.

Do you want to carry an SBR through your neighborhood? My rule is, if walking through my neighborhood requires a rifle, I ain't going for any walks. Are you in Philly? Thought I remembered reading that somewhere.

Just trying to understand...

3. LittleRedToyota

LittleRedToyota

before anyone gets too upset, i am not commenting on what is or is not a good idea, just answering the questions regarding PA law...

:wavey:

yes.

in fact, outside of philly, you would not even need an LTCF if you open carry it on foot. to conceal it, carry it loaded in a vehicle, or carry it in philly, you would need an LTCF.

carrying it, especially in the open, down the street might draw unwanted police attention, though (that might be putting it mildly). but, it is legal.

you would be legally OK because you have an LTCF.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2010
  4. Kith

Kith

I am just curious about whether the law says I can or not, i'm not sure.

I wanted to pre-empt the people who would say "consult a lawyer" by stating that I would before I did...which if I was going to I would.

As I was reading through the PA UFA for like the 500th time, I just couldn't wrap my head around whether it was ok, because such an item was included in the definition of a firearm.

Maybe by this time next year I could end up having/wanting to carry a SBR and during the summer i'd be more likely to use a motorcycle instead of my truck.

Sorry to be confusing, I just wanted to know if my license would let me walk around with a loaded SBR slung over my shoulder, or to drive around with it slung over my shoulder (loaded) on a motorcycle.

I am not able to do so now, lacking the NFA item, but since it's on my list of things to get this random question came across my mind, and figured i'd ask it.

Edited to add:

Thanks LittleRedToyota.

It wasn't a question of whether it was a good idea or not, I think we all know the answer to that - I was just curious if it was legal or not.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2010
  5. RussP

RussP Super Moderator Moderator

Kith, events of the last few months with individuals carrying an AK-pistol while strolling in a park, an AR into a restaurant, and the discussions around those events make us a little suspect of someone's intentions when they ask the questions you asked in your original post.

Hope you get some good discussion about your questions.

:cool: