Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a considerable difference in muzzle flip between the two in the G26 and G27, or between the Kahr P9 covert and P40 covert? Fast followups aren't that easy with either my KelTec 9 or 40 using regular ammo. It would seem that if a person decided to carry +p or +p+ 9mm that it would make the muzzle flip about the same in 9mm and .40s&w. Makes me lean toward the .40s&w.

·
Banned
78 Posts
I've got a 27 and love it. It took a little while to get used to the recoil just like a light weight Colt Commander in 45 I used to have as a kid (actually I used it as a partial trade on the 27).

Just practice with it on a regular basis. Start off close and deliberate. Before you know it, your moving out to further ranges and shooting faster.

I like the 40 but the truth is that the 9mm works just as well with the right rounds. Its just that there are more right rounds in 40.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I believe the 9mm flips faster and less noticeable.AKA stovepiping a round in 9mm,so grip is important in 9mm.
I shoot only .40sw,all my buds shoot 9mm.I enjoy the flip,kick,and thought of throwing more lead out the barrel myself.Plus as accurate as 9mm at any distance.
SAFE-SHOOTING!

·
King Doofus.
6,089 Posts
I had a Kahr Mk9 that I shot +p out of and I have a CM40. The MK9 is all SS so the weight soaked up a little recoil but the biggest difference was the size of the grip. The CM40 grip is tiny so shooting it well takes a bit more effort. Before I bought the CM40 I shot a PM40 and a PM9 back to back and the 40 got the nod. I would guess the covert, with it's longer grip, would be much easier the handle, so, for me, it would be a no-brainer. I'm just not sold on the short barrel long grip fad. I have no problem hiding a bit longer barrel. In fact, since 40 has fallen in sales, I've beem watching for a nice used K40. I love al SS Kahrs.
I had a 27 and shot it back to back with a 26 and, to me, the difference in recoil was not enough to concern me. Even shooting hotter 40 defense ammo vs non +p 9. The 27 handles 40 very well. I dumped my part time carry 27 because of the short grip and carry a 23 year round but it wasn't because of recoil, just not a fan of short grips.
A disclaimer here tho, I'm not recoil sensitive at all, all of my SD guns are 40. All of my 9s are basically range plinkers.

·
"The Goose"
3,421 Posts
My cm9 gets tiring after a few mags of +p. I put lighter loads in it when I can. I have no interest in shooting a cm40.

I think the 40 is an excellent defensive round, but you have to shoot it regularly to be proficient.

9mm is just easier in my opinion.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I can’t tell any significant difference between a +P 9mm and the 40.

I would take the 27. A 27 can be a 9mm but a 26 cant be a 40, if you ever wanted to add a barrel conversion.

The 40 is a better round even if it is just slightly so. Yes, I know the 26 will hold one more bullet.

·
JAFO
4,647 Posts
I can’t tell any significant difference between a +P 9mm and the 40.

I would take the 27. A 27 can be a 9mm but a 26 cant be a 40, if you ever wanted to add a barrel conversion.
I don't feel much difference either with the +P 9mm, but when I go heads-up with standard 9mm, I can feel a bit more snap with the G27. The only Kahr that I own is the CM40 and it is fun with 180 FMJ, but more brutal with HST.

·
Registered
10,907 Posts
Is there a considerable difference in muzzle flip between the two in the G26 and G27, or between the Kahr P9 covert and P40 covert? Fast followups aren't that easy with either my KelTec 9 or 40 using regular ammo. It would seem that if a person decided to carry +p or +p+ 9mm that it would make the muzzle flip about the same in 9mm and .40s&w. Makes me lean toward the .40s&w.
Standard pressure 9mm will get the job done just fine.

But if it's not enough for you, step up to the .40. You might as well get greater momentum and bigger diameter in exchange for your increased recoil.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
I load both 9mm at +p as well as the 40. Don't notice a big increase in the full sized Glocks but there is some in the smaller Glocks and my Shields.

I've kind of come to the conclusion that every time I pull the trigger on a centerfire pistol, revolver, or rifle there is going to be some recoil. The focus is on hitting your intended target when hunting or most likely in a SD shootout.

I read recently that the follow up shot time is not as critical as once thought in a shoot out. With the thought of you continuing to shoot until the bad boy is on the ground with the focus more on accuracy than spray. Seems like many police shooting videos show that the hit count is very low compared to the volume of brass in the air.

I think it was Wyatt Earp that said " Fast is good but accuracy is final" Worked for him so.........................

·
Registered
199 Posts
Short answer, yes. .40 in similar platforms always recoils harder/flips harder.

Shoot them all, use the largest caliber in the lightest gun you are comfortable shooting every day. Doesn't matter what you buy if you don't practice.

·
Retired Fed LEO. USMC late 1960s.
434 Posts
quijibo: I love my K40. Some mags have issues spilling ammo, and I needed to change the mag release spring assy because of premature mag ejection. Generally I love the gun. For those recoil sensitive guys/girls I'd suggest a K9. The weight will soak up the recoil.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts