P89 at the 5,000 round mark...a range report!

Discussion in 'Ruger Club' started by NitLion, Feb 23, 2019.

1. NitLion

NitLion

My P89 was produced in 1997, and I bought in in November of 1997! So...yeh...it took me 22 years to get to the 5,000 round mark. This was the first 9mm I ever purchased - during the height of the Clinton AWB years. It came with 10 round magazines obviously and the only 15 rounders that I could find were USA brand! Then I bought a case of Wolf ammo. In that first 1,000 rounds with not the best magazines and not the best ammo... I had only one stoppage.
    Eventually I found one gun shop a couple of hours away that had factory NORMAL capacity 15 round magazines! They wanted about twice the price of what one magazine retails for now...I would buy one per year when my travels took me that way. (Hold on while I order a 20 round MecGar.....ok done...the "Bad Old Days" have scarred me!!)
    Anyway, the first load up on this day was some good ammo Geco - 124 - FMJ and here are six shots on paper at 14 yards!:

P89 geco paper more.jpg

It was a nice day but the ground was snow covered with a thick crust of ice on top so it was a workout to get things set up! This was my shooting platform for the day:

pallet.jpg

As the day wore on, the snow got mushy and the pallet, because of the snow I was tracking on, was slicker than just standing in the (now soft) snow. Working on my excuses early in this range report....
    But at 25 yards and in, I was perfect with the Geco on steel! Here is one steel at 18 yards:

P89 Geco round steel more.jpg

Six fer six on that as well as the other 18 yard steel. And the same 6/6 on the 25 yard gong!

P89 Geco gong more.jpg
    (one shot up by the ear where the paracord is tied on!)
    The 8" popper was at 29 yards and I went 4-6 on it.
    2-2 on the 8" square knockdown target at 33 yards!
    Funny thing was, I found a steel cased round of 9mm lying in the snow, starting to corrode. The primer had not been struck. I picked it up, blew the snow off, loaded it up and "Blam" - whacked the knockdown at 33 yards with it! Not something I would do with with many of my guns but the P89- what many call a tank- makes you fear-less!
    Now if only I could suck-less as I went only 4-9 at 50 yard steel with Geco!
    It kinda was downhill from here and I'm not sure if it was the ammo...or fatigue...or old eyes...
    the next load up was Hellfire - 115g - FMJ(RL) Six shots on paper with that at 14 yards:

P89 HF paper.jpg

I only had 38 rounds of this as I was finishing off a case. Hellfire is no longer produced. My shots on one 18 yard steel were 4-4
    The other 18 yard steel 3-5
    The gong at 25 yards 2-6
    Now my 5,000th round (as close as I could tell) was probably a miss on the popper (0-3) so here is the first hit at the 5,000 round - on the knockdown at 33 yards!:

P89 HF coulda been 5000 KD 2.jpg

The P89 got to take out some soda cans to celebrate....

P89 more cans.jpg

I know...its not fair! This P89 is old enough to vote annnd to drink. The P229 got beer!! ....but that was the 10,000 mark...
    Next load up: Detroit Bullet Works - 124g - RN and here are six shots on paper at 14 yards:

P89 DBW paper.jpg

Holy vertical stringing Batman!!

Went 6 fer 6 on steel at 18 yards:

P89 DBW steel more.jpg

Kinda downhill from here
    3-6 on the other 18 yard steel
    1-6 on the 25 yard gong
    3-6 on the 29 yard popper
    1-2 on the 33 yard knockdown
    ...and here is 4-11 on the 50 yard steel!

P89 DBW far steel more.jpg

Again, not sure that it was the ammo. It was the end of a long shooting session. Also, the sights are kinda small and my eyes aren't what they were 22 years ago!
    However, There were no failures to feed, fire or eject... it ran 100% for the day. Totals for the gun:

5,073 rounds representing 28 different loads!

Hope I can post a 10,000 round report before another 22 years pass!:flag:

Last edited: Feb 23, 2019
  2. Pwhfirefighter

Pwhfirefighter

Very cool. I still have my P89 I bought used 24 years ago. It only had about a box through it. I assume it was produced prior to 1994 as it had a factory 15 round mag. Heavy as a brick but it works.

NitLion likes this.

3. NitLion

NitLion

4. Pwhfirefighter

Pwhfirefighter

Copy that. Will have to take a look.

I was a career firefighter for 10 years in a municipality, as well as being a volunteer for 25 years now. Only basic ARFF training. Had to leave the career job, as working as a FF is tough in MS for a family man with a stay home wife. I miss the job every day, it was/is a passion but had to put my kids first. Only real plus is that I doubled my state retirement with the move.

5. bac1023

bac1023

Very cool

Thanks for the report