Glock Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone I hope Im in the right catagory for my question. I have found that I enjoy and have got good reviews on my G 26 P80 build. I have just started a G17 lower and have eyes on a G22 and G19 P80 builds. I love to customize and make one of a kind builds. My question is how do I serial number these guns for resale? Thanks, Bryan
Motor vehicle Toolbox Automotive exterior Bumper Rectangle
Motor vehicle Toolbox Automotive exterior Bumper Rectangle

·
Registered
2,967 Posts
From P80's website
Q: Can I build and then transfer a finished firearm to another individual?
A: We are not lawyers and cannot provide legal advice. Moreover, firearm laws are dynamic and vary from state-to-state and county-to-county. As such, it is advised that you consult with local counsel to obtain an opinion letter specific to your jurisdiction. Protect yourself and don't put a completed firearm in anyone's hands unless you have gone through proper channels and background checks. Following the proper channels will protect us, our family, and our friends, it's also the best way to ensure you can come back to this site again and again as you finish your project. For any firearm transfer it is your responsibility to understand the federal and local laws and how they apply.
In other words: If you are determined to do it, get a local lawyer because the laws where you live might be different than where I live. To be honest, I expect any attorney is going to tell you to get an 07 FFL or don't resell something you "made".

An alternative option would be - P80 and other mfgs do sell serialized lowers. Modifying one of those and selling it could (depending on where you live and how it was modified) greatly simplify things. But taking an un-serialized P80 and finishing it for resell really should be done under an 07 FFL to ensure you don't get a knock on your door.

·
Registered
8,935 Posts
Hello everyone I hope Im in the right catagory for my question. I have found that I enjoy and have got good reviews on my G 26 P80 build. I have just started a G17 lower and have eyes on a G22 and G19 P80 builds. I love to customize and make one of a kind builds. My question is how do I serial number these guns for resale? Thanks, Bryan View attachment 987716 View attachment 987716
If you're going to be selling guns, you'll need some type of FFL. At the bare minimum, you'd need a type 01 FFL because you're selling firearms. If the ATF considers completing a P80 "manufacturing", you would need a type 07 FFL. I assume then, as the manufacturer, you can serialize your guns in accordance with FFL regs for manufacturing. You don't want to run afoul of the ATF, so if you're serious, you need to consult a knowledgeable attorney.

·
Registered
11,441 Posts
Sounds like a waste of time and more trouble than it's worth. I occassionally read articles where people are arrested for selling these things to undercover agents. An FFL license would be put to better use on other things, such as obtaining and transferring legitimate firearms.

There's a lot of debate on what is or isn't legal when it comes to selling P80's out there. Some sources claim you can sell them unserialized so long as the intent originally wasn't to manufacture just to sell. Others say you can't sell them at all. I personally wouldn't bother delving into it or obtaining an FFL just for P80's.

Most simply aren't going to care about or prioritize buying a serialized P80 over an actual Glock. Part of the P80 allure is being able to build it yourself, so I don't envision being able to sell many if any of these.

·
Registered
5,205 Posts

·
NRA & SAF mbr
5,420 Posts
Ditto on all the comments about needing a federal license to manufacture and sell. So, there's the whole legal aspect. Do you REALLY want to do that?

But, having the experience of building a grand total of one P80... I have doubts that you'd be profitable.

Building out a P80 is more expensive than buying a ready-made gun. I estimate my P80 cost double of what I would have paid for a factory brand new Glock 34. Easily double. And, that doesn't include my TIME. I think I've spent at least 30 hours on it. Granted, I'm a noob, but I'm also a perfectionist.

Gun barrel Air gun Gun accessory Trigger Machine

So, if you factor in your costs AND your time (since you'd be selling these), I just don't see anyone paying what you'd have to charge. No way you're going to get out of it what you put into it.

P80 builds are a "labor of love." Most of us go down this rabbit hole because it's fun and very satisfying to build your own working gun. I just don't see room for profit margin.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Ditto on all the comments about needing a federal license to manufacture and sell. So, there's the whole legal aspect. Do you REALLY want to do that?

But, having the experience of building a grand total of one P80... I have doubts that you'd be profitable.

Building out a P80 is more expensive than buying a ready-made gun. I estimate my P80 cost double of what I would have paid for a factory brand new Glock 34. Easily double. And, that doesn't include my TIME. I think I've spent at least 30 hours on it. Granted, I'm a noob, but I'm also a perfectionist.

View attachment 987795

So, if you factor in your costs AND your time (since you'd be selling these), I just don't see anyone paying what you'd have to charge. No way you're going to get out of it what you put into it.

P80 builds are a "labor of love." Most of us go down this rabbit hole because it's fun and very satisfying to build your own working gun. I just don't see room for profit margin.
I’ve built 10 and it’s quite easy once you’ve focused on the first and understand where everything goes. It’ll take me 5mins to assemble upper and about 15-20 for the lower drilling and sanding out channel.. check my YouTube ghost manufacturer

·
NRA & SAF mbr
5,420 Posts
It’ll take me 5mins to assemble upper and about 15-20 for the lower drilling and sanding out channel.
I can see assembling the upper in a very short time. But, my OCD / perfectionist tendencies could never finish the channel in that short period of time. :)

·
NRA & SAF mbr
5,420 Posts
check my YouTube ghost manufacturer
I briefly looked. You can look forward to getting some strikes and videos deleted by YT very soon. They are no longer allowing videos that demonstrate how to work on P80 frames.

Also... I saw a video with a vertical foregrip on a pistol. The ATF will not look kindly on that. You just created an NFA weapon. If I'm not mistaken... big time illegal.

Yikes.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I briefly looked. You can look forward to getting some strikes and videos deleted by YT very soon. They are no longer allowing videos that demonstrate how to work on P80 frames.

Also... I saw a video with a vertical foregrip on a pistol. The ATF will not look kindly on that. You just created an NFA weapon. If I'm not mistaken... big time illegal.

Yikes.
Appreciate the insight and not being a donkey about the situation like most I got foregrip for my 40 because I fractured my arm twice and Wanted a little more stability when aiming. I only really use it when test firing and for the thumbnail to troll for views lol vids with the grip hit higher numbers than my professional ones

·
NRA & SAF mbr
5,420 Posts
Appreciate the insight and not being a donkey about the situation like most I got foregrip for my 40 because I fractured my arm twice and Wanted a little more stability when aiming. I only really use it when test firing and for the thumbnail to troll for views lol vids with the grip hit higher numbers than my professional ones
This will be my last comment on this.... The ATF doesn't care about your fractured arm. It's BIG-TIME illegal with a 10-yr prison sentence:

ATF has long held that by installing a vertical fore grip on a handgun, the handgun is no longer
designed to be held and fired by the use of a single hand. Therefore, if individuals install a
vertical fore grip on a handgun, they are “making” a firearm requiring registration with ATF’s
NFA Branch. Making an unregistered “AOW” is punishable by a fine and 10 years’
imprisonment. Additionally, possession of an unregistered “AOW” is also punishable by fine and
10 years’ imprisonment.
I'd take those videos down and never attach a foregrip to a pistol. It's not worth it. And you never know who's watching (even when you think nobody is).

It's a stupid law... but until we get it changed... there it is. And, you don't want to run afoul of it. I am not a lawyer or in law enforcement. But, this can land people in a lot of trouble, even if they knew nothing about it or had innocent intent.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts