P80 dump

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by jcullen, Jun 22, 2019.

1. jcullen

jcullen

After playing with this thing trying to get it to function. cycle, eject, etc. I threw the fooking thing in the can under my work bench. I'll put the band saw to the frame before putting it at the curb. and stick to factory Glocks. Lesson Learned only cost $119

Last edited: Jun 22, 2019
  2. dudel

dudel

No problem with mine. What tools did you use to build it?

DirectDrive likes this.

3. DirectDrive

DirectDrive

My P80 G19 has turned out to be one of my favorite pistols.
    Polymer 80a-I.png

Top-offhand
    Bottom-bench
    55 feet
    6-10-19 P80 Bench-Offhand.png

4. jcullen

jcullen

Watched many YT videos and used, good drill press, clipped rails and dremel fo channel

5. stavey

stavey

I have had great luck with mine , I actually just fit a Barsto barrel and ransom rest tested it against a kkm drop in barrel. I’d say mine are Shooters. Thread is in gunsmithing section if interested in my results.

Mr Meeseeks likes this.
  6. Blanton

Blanton

All the YT videos I've viewed cautioned against using a drill press. One guy finished his entire frame with a hand drill and files. I tried that successfully. One guy cut the plastic tabs with tin snips. Successfully did that also. Sanded those areas off with 80 to 800 grit, smooth and shiny for good rail fit. It really is a Geico Caveman thing, I'm proof of that more than once.

Mr Meeseeks and busad52 like this.
  7. jcullen

jcullen

I do have a border line IQ

'Ol Grandad likes this.
  8. DirectDrive

DirectDrive

Yep, the official P80 issued instructions say the same about using a drill press.
    If a guy wasn't extremely accurate with clamping and set up, I could see where the drill press could cause some inaccurate holes.
    And drilling 100% from one side would further shift the odds against you.

I hand-drilled vertically from each side and used a "drill jig" to keep me square with the main jig.
    The drill jig was glued up dead flat on the bottom and square.
    Drilling location for demo purposes only....
    Drill Jig.png

OP, I wouldn't give up on it unless the holes were way out of position.
    There have been some out of spec locking blocks and out of spec rear rails that have caused issues.
    P80 has been very good at sorting things out for builders having troubles.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2019
    mb33 and Mr Meeseeks like this.
  9. DirectDrive

DirectDrive

After re-reading, it sounds like you are almost there !
    I could BARELY rack the slide when it was first assembled.
    I thought I had an extreme fail on my hands.
    Also, I didn't hog out the temp bulkhead in the RSA channel enough.

I could see drag marks from the recoil spring at the temp bulkhead site.
    So I opened it up a little more with a 3/8"x 7" wood dowel with fine sandpaper rubber-banded to it all chucked up into my drill motor.
    That solved that issue as long as I used the Glock RSA (smaller OD than aftermarket).

Then on to those sticking rails.
    Painted the rails and slide grooves with Microlon Engine Assembly lube and almost immediately the slide starting acting like a slide.
    So that fixed that issue.

The only other (minor) issue was an occasional brass to head thing.
    I changed out the old school 336 ejector for a 47021 ejector (current 9mm ejector) and that issue was solved.

Approx 1500 trouble free rounds and counting.

10. Blanton

Blanton

Or. place the rail side down on 80-100 grit sandpaper and sand for a few minutes to smooth. I've even used a little Flitz to polish them.

11. jcullen

jcullen

It shot accurately with a G34 slide, just would not cycle

12. DirectDrive

DirectDrive

That can clean up the front rail, however in my case it was front and rear rail not playing well together.

What I might try on my next one...
    1) Do the recommended prep on the RRM
    2) Make up a dummy TMH without any projections above the rails for RRM support
    3) Temp install RRM
    4) Temp install front rail
    5) Then true up rails as one unit on automotive sandpaper on a piece of glass

13. cciman

cciman

Mine was not easy to build.
    In retrospect, I should have dry fitted the front p80 rails and locking block to my stock OE slide prior to installing the p80 locking block into the frame. Once on the frame, it was not going to come back out, and the rails were too thick for the OE slide for free movement. With much difficulty, I was able to remove the font locking block, but it required cutting it in half to get it out.

p80 sent me a new rail set. I ended up reducing the rails, both back and front, (using a flat file) so it fit freely in the slide before putting it into the frame. Thing runs smoothly, now.

Yes getting the pins to line up was slightly challenging too.

14. glock-fan

glock-fan

I disagree, these builds requiere a lot of patience and attention to detail. I enjoy build them along as shooting, no regrets and def will build more. Sorry didn’t work for you.

First build.
    P940C aka g19ran like a champ with any ammo no issues, all stock factory parts, no drill press either.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Second build.
    P940v2 aka g17 only issue I had was with the p80 rail/block being out of specs they replaced it and it ran perfect again no issues with this one either, even ran a g34 slide on it. Loved it.

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Aug 7, 2019
  15. Blanton

Blanton

What.....only 3??!!:nailbiting::animlol:

16. Scott60

Scott60

The reason they don't recommend using a drill press isn't because it's somehow less accurate than a weaving, rocking, imprecise hand, it's because few people understand how to CENTER when drilling with a drill press and end up drilling holes grossly off-center. When drilled by hand, the worst that can happen is the drill is tilted - a virtual CERTAINTY, producing a hole that can be "worked in" during fitting.
    The "secret" to using a drill press on a P80 frame is to NOT use a vice or clamping system. Lay the drilling jig on the drill table (make sure the bit is properly perpendicular to the table first), and leave it free to move around. Then lower the drill bit into the guide hole while holding the jig with your HAND. Turn on drill press, and proceed to gently drill out the hole. The resultant holes will be FAR more "true" than anything a ham-fist with drill-driver can produce, and they will be as perfectly aligned as is the jig halves - assuming they were properly mated using several wraps of tape prior to drilling.
    I did my first P80 per the instructions and spent a fair amount of time using a hammer and files to coax in the locking block pin and other pins. I did the next one using the drill press and ended up with pins that can almost be pushed out by hand like a "real" Glock.

FullClip and jcullen like this.
  17. zaitcev

zaitcev

My P80 worked perfectly from the start. Completely reliable, like a Glock. Sorry, I know it's not helping your disappointment. If that helps, I mostly used my Swiss Army Knife in order to remove the extra plastic, so the gun looks pretty bad everywhere where I hit the frame. Also, I drilled the holes with a drill press. I saw the warning in the manual, but I just cannot hold a hand drill square.

p80_cuts_800.jpg

P.S. Now that I think about it, perhaps I helped the reliability by removing too much. I just hope I haven't set up the slide for a crack soon.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2019
    Klaatuprime and jcullen like this.