P7M13 thoughts

Discussion in 'Heckler & Koch Forum' started by Gunsights, Sep 17, 2019.

1. Gunsights

Gunsights

I'd like to hear thoughts about love for the P7M13. I read how it's a fun and great gun to shoot. I've had one since 1994. I still have it. Almost new in box. It's a phenomenally-built gun. The slide is turning plum color. It shoots very well. It's beautiful. But I just don't like shooting it. I just have never enjoyed it. I'm curious if the people love this gun for what it is or do they genuinely enjoy shooting it.

By the way, I feel the same way about the Browning Hi Power. Beautiful, elegant, quality. But fun to shoot? Ergonomic? I never thought so.

2. speedway

speedway

I have two of them. I find the grip to be chubby.

3. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

I've never shot one, but it's (the various P7 models) the only H&K handgun I'd have any interest in at all. I'd probably lean toward the single-stack models.

5Wire likes this.
  4. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

People want what they're told to be great guns by the "experts" AND especially guns that they can't easily obtain.

I shot the P13 back in 1988. It was meh. I have a couple of PSPs just for the heck of it, but I'm not at all wowed by the P7 family.

Grumpy_old_man likes this.
  5. Gunsights

Gunsights

That’s exactly my feeling.

Grumpy_old_man and PRKJayhawk like this.
  6. evlbruce

evlbruce

Overengineered and not worth the price. I still really wanted one in the early 90s, got to shoot one in the 00s and was disappointed.

7. fistagon

fistagon

I’ve always wanted one. Granted, I have never short nor held one in my hand, I like the ergonomics from the pictures I have seen.

However, there is no way I would pay what they go for. I’m not into paying that much for any pistol. Period.

8. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Nonetheless it's a highly desirable handgun nowadays. You can either keep it for bragging rights or sell it and make a goodly chunk of change.

9. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

The one thing that I think truly stands out about the P7 family is a high degree of mechanical accuracy, which stem from the fixed barrel and possibly the high quality of the barrel too. I also give credit to the superb fit and finish. HK definitely did good metal work. Even on the stamped steel receiver G3/G33, they were well made and finished.

The trigger is pretty good but not phenomenal.

The manual of arms is weird but not prohibitively so. You get used to it pretty quick, not a big hindrance as many so-called gun experts claimed.

I believe the P7M8/M13 were the first HKs that used the paddle release. It's not a paddle the way the later plastic HKs show, but they were definitely paddles that you can rest your thumb on and push down to activate. Unconventional but worked well - I actually liked that feature.

The frame heating up is real no thanks to the gas tube HK used to activate the delayed blowback mechanism. However, to be fair to HK, the original design was a police pistol and not a military service pistol. It wasn't meant to have a bunch of mags pumped through it in a short time frame.

5Wire likes this.
  10. Gino

Gino Millennium Member

An answer in search of a problem. An EXPENSIVE answer. A lot like the Tiger tank - too complex to make for not enough return. They were discontinued for good reason.

Al that being said, I still want one. I just can't justify the cost for what would be a safe queen.

11. michael_b

michael_b Elementary, my dear Watson.

I have my Dad’s early 70s HiPower and it does not fit my hand. I was with him when he first shot it, first shot dead center bullseye at 10 yards. Me, not so much.

I’ll be happy to take the P7 off your hands lol.

happyguy likes this.
  12. Gunsights

Gunsights

Another question. Do most M13s turn plum or is mine an anomaly?

13. K. Foster

K. Foster

I’ve never owned a P7 but over the decades I’ve shot several. Both the M8 and the 13. It’s a revolutionary design but I was never able to warm up to it (frame heating issues aside). Best thing I can say about it is “Meh”. Almost everyone I have known who has shot the P7 extensively has complained about small parts breakage. Good luck getting parts today.
    If you like them, great. I’m not trying to rain on anyone’s parade but from HK, give me a USP or VP9 and I’ll be happy.

14. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Most of them do turn plum.

Green Dragoon likes this.
  15. domino1

domino1

16. kf4zra

kf4zra I miss ya Murph

that seemed to be a problem after the date code "KF".
    The earlier ones from the 80s and early 90s did not have that issue.
    I have been shopping for a P7M8 and P7M13 pair, and in talking with a serious collector who owns about 50 of them, he said its easy to remember the date code as "KF" "K"omplete "F"ailure.
    It has nothing to do with the function of the gun, they are fine, it is just an aesthetic thing.

slamdunc likes this.
  17. Gunsights

Gunsights

D86E1749-5618-4AC9-BCA9-F0C0EE000C4A.jpeg 1AAE203D-A423-4D6D-BF08-420763F3FBE0.jpeg Mine is a KE, 1994.

kf4zra, slamdunc and chemboy like this.
  18. chemboy

chemboy

Had a P7M8 many years ago. I liked it, wish I had kept it. Would I buy another? Probably not, with the prices being so high.

19. mmcbeat

mmcbeat

About ten years ago there were a lot of surplus leo or military P7’s available at decent prices. I bought one with a lot of holster wear. Had it hard chromed and got a set of Nill grips. It was nice but I didn’t shoot it much so I sold it when prices started going up.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2019
    slamdunc likes this.
  20. peng

peng

When I first handled and shot one, I would have bet that their unique cocking action and inherent safety would have ruled the world. I was wrong.

Imagine a hybrid Glock with a squeeze cock mechanism. My ideal gun may well be a G19 size with a squeeze cocker, and the typical locked breech design.

It could be made inexpensively with some tweaks.

Maybe the space needed for the cocker design could come from the empty space behind the mag so Glock could make a gun that looks finished! Imagine that.