Glock Talk banner

P320 357Sig / 40S&W - an interesting challenge! A range report!

933 Views 3 Replies 3 Participants Last post by  pgg00
I have been mixing in a little more .40 S&W on my range trips to make all my other ammo stretch a little more! This time , I ran a little exercise that I have been thinking about trying for a while.
But first....good old 357Sig as the first load up was Federal American Eagle - 125g - FMJ and here are the first three shots at 14 yards:

Firearm Gun Trigger Design Airsoft gun

I was fishing around a little bit as this P320 tends to shoot higher than point of aim. But with this load....not so much. Here is a better three shot group at 18 yard steel where I kept my aim a tad low, and that's right where it ended up going!!

Green

(see knockdowns and far steel in background)
The Federal worked flawlessly in The P320 (no surprises), and I had no misses 28 yards and in. Here is my nemesis, the popper, at 28 yards (6/6):

Green Leaf Tree Soil Plant

Not too many misses past 28 yards either Here were all the numbers:

6-6 on the 7.2x12" small silhouette steel 18 yards
6-6 on other 18 yard steel (8" round)
6-6 on the 25 yard gong
6-6 on the popper @ 28 yards away
2-3 on the 8" square knockdown target at 35 yards
2-3 on the 8" round knockdown target at 35 yards
2-5 on the 7.2x12" small silhouette knockdown target at 35 yards
9-9 on the 50 yard steel

New holster for this range trip and she is a Beaut!!! From Armor Guard!:

Handgun holster Gun accessory Airsoft gun

Thanks Pete! She's perfect!!

Next load up was Black Hills Ammunition - 100g - Frang and here are six shots on paper @14 yards with it!!:

Firearm Gun Trigger Revolver Gun accessory

I only go once around the steels with frangible ammo at normal ranges , saving the rest for up close and personal practice with the large steel silhouette. Here are my numbers with Black Hills:

3-3 on the 7.2x12" small silhouette steel 18 yards
3-3 on other 18 yard steel (8" round)
2-3 on the 25 yard gong
0-3 on the popper @ 28 yards away
1-1 on the 8" square knockdown target at 35 yards
1-2 on the 8" round knockdown target at 35 yards
1-1 on the 7.2x12" small silhouette knockdown target at 35 yards
1-3 on the 50 yard steel

I did have one strange occurrence with the Black Hills ammo. I thought at the time that what I had was an extraction, without an ejection, and that the empty case was trying to feed back into the chamber again. Here is what really happened; When the round that fired ejected... the next round (on the top of the magazine) had the bullet sheer off and gum up the works!! here is that round:

Brass Metal Copper Ammunition Wood

Now! I saved myself a partial magazine of the 357Sig so I could run this little challenge
Here were the rules:

1.) Start the timer
2.) Get three hits on steel at 18 yards with the 357Sig
3.) Clear the gun
4.) Break the gun down and swap barrels
5.) Reassemble gun
6.) Insert magazine with .40 ammo
7.) Get three hits on steel with .40
8.) Stop timer

As with everything else involved in shooting, you can't go soo fast that you are unsafe.

My time was 50.58 seconds to accomplish the task....and here was the target at 18 yards. (The "dimmer" marks was the frangible 357Sig ammo and the "bright" marks were the 40 ammo):

Shooting range Shooting sport Recreation Shooting

It helped that I had no misses. I want to try this with all my "switch barrel" guns. The P320 is very easy to break down... and this time may not be beat.
The .40 ammo was the next load up. It was CCI Blazer - 165g -FMJ and here are six shots on paper @ 14 yards with it:

Gun Firearm Trigger Sport venue Recreation

The first time "around the pattern", I had a perfect run!! That consists of three hits on each steel, and one shot to topple each knockdown!
I faded a tad the second time around but still not too bad - here are the complete 50 round totals:

6-6 on the 7.2x12" small silhouette steel 18 yards
5-6 on other 18 yard steel (8" round)
5-6 on the 25 yard gong
6-6 on the popper @ 28 yards away
1-5 on the 8" square knockdown target at 35 yards
2-2 on the 8" round knockdown target at 35 yards
2-2 on the 7.2x12" small silhouette knockdown target at 35 yards
7-11 on the 50 yard steel

Here was the small silhouette knockdown target at 35 yards:

Green Revolver

I did have one failure to feed with this load. This is probably the only time I can't definitively say it was ammo related.

Totals for the gun:

357Sig: 1455 rounds representing 30 offerings
40S&W: 100 rounds representing 2 loads

Parting shot - P320 (in 40 S&W) with Blazer ammo at 18 yard steel (5/6);

Green Sphere
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
1,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That looks like another reason to not rely on frangible ammo. That one definitely fragmented prematurely.
Frangible is strictly for range use/training imo! That being said.... It is fun to train with!

Reactions: Poohgyrr
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.