P30, .40

Discussion in 'Heckler & Koch Forum' started by IDCG, May 2, 2018.

1. IDCG

IDCG

For 2-years running, the P30 in .40 has been my EDC. Prior to carrying the P30, I usually carried a G23 or G17 (both gen 3s). The P30 carries similarly to my G17 and of course feels larger than the G23, but the plus is it's much more comfortable to shoot than the G23. My P30 has factory night sights (meprolights) and the light LEM trigger. I carry it IWB behind the hip in a thumb-break Ted Blocker LFI holster.

I like to bench-rest my carry loads to confirm point-of-aim, point-of-impact, and to determine the gun/load combo's inherent accuracy. I also find it challenging and fun, and it's taught me how critical it is to focus on trigger control and the sights.

My go-to carry load is the 165gr Speer Gold Dot, #23970, which runs an advertised muzzle velocity of 1150 fps. It's proported to have an excellent street record. My particular P30 loves this load; when I'm zoned-in, it will easily shoot under 2" for five shots from the 25 yd bench. Lately, however, availability of this load has been scarce, so I thought it would be a good idea to find another proven carry load my gun likes.

I found a good deal on-line for some Federal 165gr HSTs, so purchased a couple of boxes and headed off to the range. After settling in and firing a couple of potentially great groups that I ruined by jerking the trigger, I fired the group posted here, from the 25 yd bench. It's nice to have another load your gun likes if your primary load isn't available.

Attached Files:

Dogbite likes this.
  2. Vonhipps

Vonhipps

Good thoughts. I suppose I’ve been lucky the golden sabers I carry always seem to be available.

Dogbite likes this.

3. Dogbite

Dogbite

My new HK USP compact in .40. It's a sweetheart.

Attached Files:

IDCG likes this.
  4. Vonhipps

Vonhipps

5. IDCG

IDCG

I was able to find some free time today and enjoy a "HK range day." Both my USP Compact .45 and P30 .40 are set up the same way with LEM triggers. I wanted to fire them side-by-side to compare felt recoil. With the loads I fired today, .40 Gold Dots felt more abrupt and snappier, while the .45 HSTs felt more like a "push," although both guns moved from sight alignment about the same. I also tried a few rounds of .45 200 grain Gold Dot +P, and these felt like shooting the .40.
    fullsizeoutput_3f9.jpeg

6. glowrod

glowrod Fightin' Fire

Nice shooting, way better than myself at 25 yards. Hell, better than me at 7 yards.

7. IDCG

IDCG

Thanks...of course this is hand-held from a solid bench rest.

8. bac1023

bac1023