Glock Talk banner

P229 in 357 Sig - Frangible February range report!!

720 Views 2 Replies 3 Participants Last post by  Fatboy2001
I should have went on a Friday because "Frangible Friday" has a ring to it!! But hey, I chose a day where the temperature reached 58 degrees. 58 degrees...in February...in Pennsylvania! I was down to a t-shirt for part of this range session!
I have a lot of Frangible ammo on hand so I decided I needed to start working thru some of it! First load up was Black Hills Ammunition - 100g - Frang and here are three shots on paper at 14 yards:

Gun Firearm Trigger Revolver Airsoft gun

Shot a little low, and that seemed to be the way it trended as I stepped out in distance!

Here was round steel at 18 yards. Two shots on top of each other... and one miss!

Turquoise Helmet Turquoise Games

I went three fer three on the other 18 yard steel...and then as follows at increasing distances:
2/3 on the gong at 25 yards
3/3 on the 30 yard popper
1/2 on the 8" round knockdown steel at 33 yards
1/2 on the 8" square knockdown steel at 33 yards
and 2/3 on the far steel @ 50 yards

With the rest of the rounds, I got about 7 yards from the big steel and practiced drawing quickly and triple tapping. Plus one string of very rapid fire:

Tree

Every round fed, fired and ejected perfectly. the Black hills was maybe not as accurate as the other two offerings

Next load up was Commonwealth Ammunition - 90g - frangible. This round also ran without a hitch (thru a box of fifty) and here are the first three shots at 14 yards:

Firearm Gun Trigger Revolver Starting pistol

I actually had the rare "perfect run" with Commonwealth - hitting each steel at each distance 3-outta-3, and hitting both knockdowns at 33 yards on the first shot!!

Here is the popper at 30 yards:

Gun Recreation Games

And here is the far steel at 50 yards!!:

Gun Firearm Green Practical shooting Trigger

I was impressed with Commonwealth ammunition - and it is still in production. Unfortunately Black Hills and the next load are NOT.
And the next load was Parabellum Research - 100g - RHFP (value line) frangible.
I have always had good luck with PBR and this load was no different. It ran without a hitch and was also accurate. I had one miss on the gong at 25 yards and the rest was a "perfect run". Here are shots on paper at 14 yards:

Firearm Gun Trigger Revolver Gun accessory

Here was a one shot-one hit on the square knockdown at 33 yards:

Soil

and here is the same on the round knockdown at 33 yards!:

Airsoft Recreation Trigger

Totals for the pistol:

357Sig: 10,936 rounds representing 194 offerings
40S&W: 236 rounds representing 1 offering

And is was still 52 degrees when I loaded up to go home!!

Parting shot - up close and personal with Commonwealth ammo:

Shooting range
Reactions: Ovid
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
4,770 Posts
I should have went on a Friday because "Frangible Friday" has a ring to it!! But hey, I chose a day where the temperature reached 58 degrees. 58 degrees...in February...in Pennsylvania! I was down to a t-shirt for part of this range session!
I have a lot of Frangible ammo on hand so I decided I needed to start working thru some of it! First load up was Black Hills Ammunition - 100g - Frang and here are three shots on paper at 14 yards:

View attachment 714484

Shot a little low, and that seemed to be the way it trended as I stepped out in distance!

Here was round steel at 18 yards. Two shots on top of each other... and one miss!

View attachment 714490

I went three fer three on the other 18 yard steel...and then as follows at increasing distances:
2/3 on the gong at 25 yards
3/3 on the 30 yard popper
1/2 on the 8" round knockdown steel at 33 yards
1/2 on the 8" square knockdown steel at 33 yards
and 2/3 on the far steel @ 50 yards

With the rest of the rounds, I got about 7 yards from the big steel and practiced drawing quickly and triple tapping. Plus one string of very rapid fire:

View attachment 714492

Every round fed, fired and ejected perfectly. the Black hills was maybe not as accurate as the other two offerings

Next load up was Commonwealth Ammunition - 90g - frangible. This round also ran without a hitch (thru a box of fifty) and here are the first three shots at 14 yards:

View attachment 714494

I actually had the rare "perfect run" with Commonwealth - hitting each steel at each distance 3-outta-3, and hitting both knockdowns at 33 yards on the first shot!!

Here is the popper at 30 yards:

View attachment 714498

And here is the far steel at 50 yards!!:

View attachment 714500

I was impressed with Commonwealth ammunition - and it is still in production. Unfortunately Black Hills and the next load are NOT.
And the next load was Parabellum Research - 100g - RHFP (value line) frangible.
I have always had good luck with PBR and this load was no different. It ran without a hitch and was also accurate. I had one miss on the gong at 25 yards and the rest was a "perfect run". Here are shots on paper at 14 yards:

View attachment 714506

Here was a one shot-one hit on the square knockdown at 33 yards:

View attachment 714508

and here is the same on the round knockdown at 33 yards!:

View attachment 714510

Totals for the pistol:

357Sig: 10,936 rounds representing 194 offerings
40S&W: 236 rounds representing 1 offering

And is was still 52 degrees when I loaded up to go home!!

Parting shot - up close and personal with Commonwealth ammo:

View attachment 714514
Love the p229, no rail. Old style. 1 of the best carry pistols out there.

· Registered
9,082 Posts
Great pistol and a nice day - can't beat that! :cheers:

Reactions: NitLion
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.