close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

P228 or P229 SAS

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by thegriz18, Jan 25, 2010.

1. thegriz18

thegriz18 Paper Killer

I am really thinking about grabbing a P228, as is obvious in my other post about the Zurich trade ins. However, I have found some P229 SAS Gen II from Summit for $830, which is $30 more than the P228, but comes de horned and with the SAS trigger. I would like to get either pistol in 9mm, both are non railed versions. If I can afford either, I'm not sure which to get. The P228 is tempting because it was designed for the 9mm. Its a hard call. I don't care about the carry melt crap on the P229 SAS, but the SAS trigger is tempting. Is it all that it is cracked up to be, or should I get the P228 and go on with my life, owning a brand new P228?

Thanks!!!

2. Cobra64

Cobra64 Deals in Facts

If you mean the Short Reset Trigger found in the SAS Gen II, it's very nice in that it reduces reset by 60%.

FYI, the original SAS models had the DAK trigger action.

3. G33

G33 Frisky! CLM Millennium Member

Both are great.
    The 228 balances well for me as the slide is bit lighter.
    The 229 has a great trigger.
    Tough call.

229s will be available longer.
    228s may not.
    :supergrin:

4. XDRoX

XDRoX

I keep reading about how the P228's are drying up and will eventually be gone. I also keep hearing about how many consider them to be one of the most well balanced and all around best 9mm's ever. So if it were me, I would get a 228. Definitely consider a police trade in as I believe those are made in Germany. Do you know if the new ones are made in Germany?

My local store recently got a lot of those police trade-in's and they look really nice. Just make sure you take it down before buying. Check to see how much wear is on the rails. A little bit of silver on one side or other on the front is OK, but if the rail shows excessive silver it means the gun was not properly lubed. Last time I was at the store I took down a bunch of them and the insides looked great.

5. thegriz18

thegriz18 Paper Killer

Thanks for the info guys. I think I'll check out some of the trade ins, but probably go with a 228 in some variety.

6. thegriz18

thegriz18 Paper Killer

Yea, that is what I meant... 2 am is rough on ya when you can't sleep and all you're thinking about is pistols....:supergrin: