Glock Talk banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in Mass, so my options for 45 carry are pretty slim. I really like my sig 232, and think a P220 would be a good bet. The only one we can get here is the full size one.

Most pictures and videos I see for carry options include someone that has a few extra pounds. I am on the other side of the spectrum, 6' and 155 Lbs. Is carrying a full size P220 too uncomfortable for someone really thin, or does that have little to do with it? If not, what would you recommend. I'm trying to find a place that has them in stock as well as maybe a supertuck holster so I could try before I buy.

This would be my first carry gun as I just got my LTC and have no frame of reference.

Thanks!

·
Banned
42,101 Posts
I live in Mass, so my options for 45 carry are pretty slim. I really like my sig 232, and think a P220 would be a good bet. The only one we can get here is the full size one.

Most pictures and videos I see for carry options include someone that has a few extra pounds. I am on the other side of the spectrum, 6' and 155 Lbs. Is carrying a full size P220 too uncomfortable for someone really thin, or does that have little to do with it? If not, what would you recommend. I'm trying to find a place that has them in stock as well as maybe a supertuck holster so I could try before I buy.

This would be my first carry gun as I just got my LTC and have no frame of reference.

Thanks!
I'm not as tall as you, nor do I carry a P220, but I can comment on skinny people carrying full size/heavy guns. I'm 5'8", about your weight, and carry a Beretta 92FS every day. It is absolutely doable with even a T-shirt, though a button down is better. A quality gunbelt and holster are absolutely non-negotiable. I use a Wilderness Instructor's 5-stitch and Milt Sparks Versa Max II.

·
Registered
8,215 Posts
I carry a Compact P220 in a Remora holster, and love it.

·
Registered
16,731 Posts
I was carrying my P239/357 (belt) here in Florida and love it.
the P239 is a single stack compact with the weight,
ergonomics and accuracy of a full size gun.
Plus they come in 9/357/40 cal.

The P239 is made for concealed carry.

I agree.

I have both a P239 and a P220. The P239 is my daily carry gun. The P220 is my range gun and has nightstand duty every night with a light attached.

I carry the P239 OWB in a Don Hume H721 leather thumb snap holster.

·
Registered
8,215 Posts
My P239 and P220 compact are almost the exact same size. I assume OP can't get the compact due to some state law?

·
Registered
633 Posts
I carry a Sig P220 Carry inside waist band, at my appendix (left side). All of the P220's (full size, and compact) come in at around 30 oz unloaded.......not a light pistol by any measure, but the pistol is noticably thinner than.....say a Glock 30sf (which I also carry from time-to-time). The spare magazine is also thinner than the Glock since it is single stack vs staggered double stack. I carry the Sig (and Glock) year round....even in the summer under a t-shirt. I'm retired, so my wardrobe is a lot different from when I had to do the 8-5 routine so I wear mostly shorts, jeans and t-shirts. When I have to tuck in my shirt, I pocket carry a Glock 26. The Sig is my most favorite carry pistol. Never had a problem with over 3,000 rounds. It's a sweet shooter and very accurate.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah, can't get the compact or carry size P220 due to state law. I already own a G19, but would like to add a 45 to my collection. Thought I would go all out, and get something I would be happy with for a range and carry gun. The G19 will stay at home, as that is what the wife is most comfy with, and she wants that there for herself.

I really like 1911's for the range, but am comfortable with DA/SA and no manual safety for a carry arm, and the function of sigs is natural and fits with my hand well. I can't carry at work, and don't wear skin tight clothes when I'm out and about, so maybe this might just work.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
I doubt given your size and the large size of this gun that it will really be workable on a daily basis especially during the summer months. Go smaller in my opinion.

I really like the P220, it is a duty size gun, not really a CC gun. How bout a G23? More powerful than the 19 and smaller than the P220. No extra bulk to speak of.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Well, guess I disagree with the comment that the Sig P220 is not a carry gun. The Carry model has virtually the same dimensions as a Commander sized 1911. The Carry model has a 3.9 inch barrel and the full sized has a 4.4 inch barrel. The holster I use for appendix carry (Dale Fricke Archangel) allows for a full combat grip and it carries high enough that the pistol does not gouge me when I sit. I'm not sure if I had the full sized P220 that the additional 1/2 inch in length would make that big a difference and the Carry and full sized version have virtually the same weight. I guess it's all what you get used to...... I have several 45 acp pistols (including a Colt LW Commander) and my Sig has the best ergonomics of them all (IMO). I put on G10 grips and the pistol just feels wonderful in my hand.

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Since the OP is a 1911 fan as well, I'll further complicate matters by saying that he should be sure to try the SIG P220 SAO (single action only) and carry cocked and locked. I have one and won't go back to DA/SA. As for carrying it, I can only get away with it in the winter time in South Carolina. That means about 2 months out of the year. :whistling:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.