P2000sk Incoming!

Discussion in 'Heckler & Koch Forum' started by BigBluefish, Aug 24, 2018.

1. BigBluefish

BigBluefish

I managed to snag a P2000sk .40 S & W with the DA/SA trigger & decocker (v3?). Same trigger group as my P30sk, sans the safety, and I think I might see if I can come to terms with carrying the 2000sk concealed, if I decide I like it (and can shoot it) reserving the P30sk for household duty.

So, any recommendations for an IWB (not appendix carry, I can't figure out how guys can do that; guess it's just my build) holster? Leather or kydex is fine. I prefer something compact, prefer a body/sweat shield, single belt loop or clip (offset is fine) but no metal clips-never found one I liked. I'd like to spend less than $75, but could be convinced to spend more for say, something like a Milt Sparks, if I'm convinced that it would be "the one."

Also, any recommendations on a 180 grain HP load that shoots well in your P2000sk? I'm more concerned with avoiding over-penetration than under-penetration (I don't think lack of penetration has ever been much of an issue with the .40) so I'm not interested in any Buffalo Bore bear-stomping loads; I'll just carry FMJ if I have to worry about black bears.

2. pag23

pag23 NRA Life Member

I shoot HST or Gold Dots in mine..

I got a sweet IWB holster with the Raven claw from a fellow HKPro member..

Get an Xgrip spacer and carry a USPcompact 12 rounder as a back up mag.

3. BigBluefish

BigBluefish

Thanks for the holster recommendation. Unfortunately, I live in CT, where you are expected to die if 11 rounds is not sufficient to disuade your assailants.

Of course, there's no law here (yet) says you can't carry multiple weapons.

MFC4 likes this.
  4. bac1023

bac1023

Congrats on your new HK...

5. BigBluefish

BigBluefish

Thanks, bac.
    I'm going to see if I like it better than my FNS40c. Nothing wrong with that gun, but I prefer the ergos of my P30sk, and if the P2000sk is similarly pleasing, I may keep that as my .40 and move the FNS along to someone else. Can't really justify the expense of both guns, especially when they are so similar.

6. GeneCC

GeneCC

I’d have to say that your list of requirements is nearly identical to mine with the exception of appendix carry. I bought the Vedder light tuck for a VP9SK. My normal carry has been a G19 with surefire xc1 in a Haley Strategic Incog holster. I bought the vedder for times I might switch and carry the VP9sk. I like the IWB holster so much that my EDC has switched to the VP9SK. I reached out to vedder but at this time they don’t make an IWB for the surefire XC1. I also picked up one of their belts in 1.5 inch. Can’t stress enough how nice it to s to not have to remove the buckle to thread it through belt loops.

You can carry the vedder light tuck IWB anywhere you like not just appendix.

7. BigBluefish

BigBluefish

Thanks, I was looking at the Vedder for my P30sk. I will see if they do one for the P2000sk.

8. Boscobarbell

Boscobarbell

How did you end up liking your P2000sk?

I've got one in .40, but with the LEM trigger, and it's a pistol with which I can't imagine parting. H&K's build quality and hand feel are addictive, and my other guns seem to pale by comparison.

I ended up going with a Black Arch IWB...a bit beyond your price point, but I have to say that it is money well spent and looks like it would last several lifetimes.

I sorta bought my pistol on a lark, since I already had a Glock 27 that more or less filled the same role. But I caught a great deal on Gunbroker and couldn't resist, and now I'm hopelessly attached to her.

I typically shoot in the 7-10 yard range, but I really need to stretch the H&K out a bit to see how it performs when I'm shooting at 15-25 yards. I may end up shedding a couple of other pistols if the H&K ends up being an accurate range gun, too.

9. BigBluefish

BigBluefish

Just picked it up on Thursday. Also a good deal on GunBroker (the only one I've been onto in the last couple of months, everything else I've been interested in has sold for what it's actually worth...or much more than what I think it's actually worth). I'll get it to the range tonight or tomorrow.

First thoughts are it's a bit nicer in terms of build and fit & finish than my P30sk. I also like the narrower grip...so I may switch out the large panels & backstrap on my P30sk and see how I like the slimmer profile. Overall, it seems a little slimmer and smoother, with less corners, than the P30sk, and my FNS40c, both of which seem just a bit big for CC. I suspect though, the actual measurements on all three are pretty darn close; but that's how they feel in hand, to me.

The lack of the bilateral safety levers on the 2000 definitely contribute to the sleekness. And I don't think they are really needed on a CC weapon, particularly one with a heavy DA pull like these HKs. Not that I'm in the habit of inserting my finger in the trigger guard at inappropriate times, but under stress, and / or if someone is grappling for a gun, it's good to have a little assurance (even if it's only theoretical) that it is not going to be fired until I INTEND it to fire it. I know there are others, with far more training than I have had, who have had ADs. I don't want to join that club. My FNS40c does have bilateral safeties, as I think it ought to: it's striker fired, and has a lighter trigger. But the levers are pretty small, and compared with those on the P30sk...I'm much more comfortable with manipulating the HK's safety.

The grip is short, just enough room for my pinky on the mag's finger rest, if I take a really high grip. But it is very easy to curl my little finger underneath the grip and snug it up under the back of that pinky-rest so I think I'm good. In this respect, it is more comfortable than the grip on my FNS40c, and if I can shoot this HK, the FN may move along. (The FN's trigger is much easier to work with than the DA on these H & Ks). The P30sk grip is more comfortable to be sure, at least with the large components installed. I'll try the smaller ones and see how they compare.

That right side slide lock lever does wiggle. I know it drives some YouTube guys nuts, but it really doesn't bother me.

The sights seem to be just white 3-dot; not the luminescent dots as on the P30sk. And all the same size dots, so the front looks smaller to me. Not the best. I suspect I will eventually switch them out for Tru-Glos or Ameriglos or Trijicons, something with a big, bright front sight dot, just so I can pick it up more quickly.

DA trigger is a little heavier than that on my P30sk; single action is pretty nice. Decocker is a tad stiffer, but not a problem.

I have heard from a couple sources that this gun in .40 is a bit of a handful. My .40 FN doesn't seem to be anything noteworthy in the recoil department, so I doubt this HK will give me any trouble. (My old PPK .380 is still the most unpleasant shooting gun I've had. Remarkable, a .380. My LCP is more comfortable.)

So, yes, I'm pleased so far. Range report once I put some rounds through it.

10. BigBluefish

BigBluefish

And on holsters. I'm kind of down to the Vedder Light Tuck, the Dara IWB, and the Clinger Stingray. Thing I don't like about the current Stingray is that it's ambidextrous (which I don't need) and has a sort of bulge on the off side for attaching a left hand clip. Not sure that would be uncomfortable, but it might be. The Vedder seems to be an internet favorite. The Dara also looks good, but I have not heard much about them.

Going to hold off on a nice leather holster until I make a decision about the P2000sk v my FNS40sc, as I'm a little holster-shy at the moment. Picked up a holster early this year from a well-respected custom maker (but moderately priced) and while the fit and retention and ride are great - and I mean really, it's darn near perfect, I was NOT happy with the uniformity of the coloring. (Not that anyone will ever see it, right...but I KNOW it is uneven). Then, I picked up a De Santis Mini Scabbard for my P30sk, (again, it's a production holster, not a custom, so not expensive) and I am not happy about the retention. Getting it snug enough has the retention screw poking way out the back side of the holster. That's going to eat some shirts, I fear. I've happily used this model holster before and was surprised i was not happy with it this time. Then I realized I'd used it only on small guns, like the PPK. Guess the "Mini" should have been a hint. It might just not be a good design for larger, heavier guns?

11. sourdough44

sourdough44

I have the p2000sk in 40, it’s about my favorite carry gun. Mine is standard LEM, the DA/SA would work too, after all, not intended as a 25 yrd Target gun. Here comes the cooler temps, easy to carry.

I’ve not had an issue with the 40.

12. steve1911

steve1911

Congrats on your HK.

1911club#410

13. Boscobarbell

Boscobarbell

The strangest thing is...in my hands...the P200sk is amongst the most accurate pistols I have ever fired. I am, by my former profession and current practice, more of a combat shooter than a bullseye shooter. But if I slow things down just a little bit, my groups--even out to 15 yards--are amazingly tight with this pistol. At 25 yards things open up a bit, but I see no real difference between the H&K and my Sig P229, which is considerably bigger and heavier, with a much longer barrel.

And the P2000sk really tames the .40, whether because of the beefy internals or the great grip configuration. I don't mind shooting my G27, but it is far angrier than the P2000sk, which I would gladly shoot all day long.

14. Glockbrad

Glockbrad Join GSSF!

You’ve done it.

You have convinced me to finally get a P2000sk in 40.

15. Boscobarbell

Boscobarbell

Believe me, you'll thank us later!

Irelander likes this.
  16. BigBluefish

BigBluefish

Well, finally got the P2000sk .40 out to the range yesterday and just ran 100 rounds of 180 FMJ through it at 10 yards. Very nice single action trigger. Very comfortable to shoot, notihng to worry about in the recoil department. Still fighting that tendency to pull low & left. At least with the HK, I'm only pulling left. Not sure if it's my trigger finger placement or my cross-eye dominance (can only shoot with left eye and am right handed). Sights seem to stay on target through the pull. Will work on it some more next week; take out the SR22 and really try to rid myself of that tendency to go left...just the thought...left... <shudder.>

Also took a new (to me) Beretta 950bs, with which I did not shoot left, but dang if that little thing didn't bite me some, even when I tried to grip it low. It's just so small. Chewed on my hand, but never slowed down the slide, and kept chugging right along. I was actually very impressed with the little gun. Might get a .22 short to cut down on practice ammo costs. Heck, I can buy 600 rounds of .25 acp, or a whole 'nother Beretta 950bs in .22 Short!

Boscobarbell likes this.
  17. Tuco 44

Tuco 44

I didn't think I would every like IWB carry till I got a Cook's kydex IWB. It is great. You can clip it on and go. I also thought I wouldn't like appendic carry till I tried it, but I do. Man need to try new stuff. Lol

Boscobarbell likes this.
  18. Irelander

Irelander Glocker

I have a P2000sk V2 9mm and love it. Congrats on your .40.

I carry mine right now in a JMCK George AIWB holster. It is a really nice AIWB holster but it is a bit bulky for my thin frame. I think the JMCK Wing Claw 2.0 would be super for this gun. I have a JMCK Universal on order. It looks to be a very minimalistic and versatile holster. I carry AIWB exclusively but I am having hernia surgery in the near future and like the fact that I can wear the Universal in IWB mode also. JMCK also offers the Discreet Carry Concepts clip that is all the rage right now.