close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

+P and +P+ loads with factory Glock 19 barrel... OK or what?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by DHart, May 14, 2007.

Tags:
  1. DHart

DHart

I just bought a Glock 19 and I'm planning to shoot 124 gr. +P and 147 gr. +P loads in the gun... how well does the Glock barrel do with such loads... are they ballooned more than they would be with a KKM barrel, for example? I plan to reload my brass and wonder if I should just go with the KKM barrel for better case head support and less ballooned cases... would appreciate hearing your experiences with this... many thanks in advance...

2. NMPOPS

NMPOPS

I've shot over 2,000 round of +P and +P+ (all Federal)out of a 2nd & 3rd generation 19 with no problems and no case bulging.

3. nsabjg

nsabjg

DO NOT RELOAD!!!
    It is ok to fire +P and +P+ in a G19.
    I shoot Ranger 127gr +P+ in my G17 and G19.
    I carry the G19 loaded with the Ranger 127gr +P+.

4. DHart

DHart

If the Glock barrel can't tolerate reloads, then it's bye-bye Glock barrel and hello KKM barrel. Reloads are a way of life for me. I don't shoot ANY bare lead bullets, though, only plated and jacketed bullets, but I shoot a lot and reloads are what I do.

5. lumberjack

lumberjack One of Many

Why not?

6. happyguy

happyguy Man, I'm Pretty

You aren't going to get as much mileage out of your cases if you fire them in a Glock barrel. The chamber dimensions of all Glocks are...um...generous.

If I were going to reload for my Glocks I would get a barrel with tighter dimensions. The constant resizing will drastically shorten case life. This is more true of the other calibers but probably pertains to the 9mms as well.

On second thought, shoot your pistol and see what you think after you measure the brass.

Regards,
    Happyguy :

7. DHart

DHart

happyguy... that's the conclusion I came to also. I'm not as concerned with reloading for 9mm, as those funky little cartridges are probably more bother reloading than they're worth! ;) But for my Glock 23, Glock 29, and Glock 30... reloading is something I do a lot of, so I now have Lone Wolf barrels for the 23 and the 30 and a KKM for the 29. Chamber sizes are snugger for sure, case head support is better for sure, and my brass is likely to last a lot longer when fired from those barrels rather than from the stock barrels. :thumbsup:

8. SCC

SCC just me

TAKE A LOOK !!!!!!!! and you can see why you DO NOT use reload's

9. Bradd D

Bradd D

Stop the madness! That is the result of an overcharge not a case failure due to reloading. Overcharges can happen in factory ammo as well. Given that, you should just stop shooting Glocks.

10. Russell Lang

Russell Lang

Glock chambers on the 9MM guns are not oversized, unless they changed them in the last year or so. I measured the fired cases from my G-19, SIG 226, and Beretta 92, and they all measured the same, plus or minus .001. The 40 Glocks have larger chambers than most others, with fired cases from my G-23 being .005 larger than my SIG 229.

I reload for my G-19 all the time, with no problems. Not so for the G-23. Avoid the lead bullets like the manual warns, stick with quality reloads at safe pressures, and you will have no problems.

Glock does not warranty the guns for reloads, like all the manufacturers, because they can't control what you stuff in the gun. I ruined two G-23s with reloads, and Glock was very quick to fix them for me, and I paid for them since the problem was my reloads, not the gun. Keep your reloads reasonable, and keep shooting!

11. SCC

SCC just me

what did it do to the gun ??? and what was the price for glock to fix them ??

12. windplex

windplex

Over charges sufficient to destroy a weapon, from reputable factory/manufacturer are highly unlikely.

Reloaders over charging is merely the human factor entering in.

13. Bradd D

Bradd D

I agree, but it's not as simple as saying that reloads blow up Glocks. Reloaders who make mistakes blow up Glocks.

14. windplex

windplex

Yes of course that is what I meant and thought I said.

15. windplex

windplex

Any gun with a large enough over charge can blow.

So you should have said:

Clearly a silly train of thought.

16. Bradd D

Bradd D

True. I was responding in the context of the original post implying that Glocks blow up shooting reloads.

17. DHart

DHart

I have no problem shooting my own reloads in any modern firearm as I know what I'm making is good. But I don't trust reloads from other sources, nor will I shoot lead through my Glock barrels (heck, I quit shooting bare lead long ago anyway, just because of the lead exposure).

In 9mm it's almost not even worth reloading, but in .40, .45 and 10, reloading is well worth the effort and if you're consciencious about it, you can trust your own reloads to be safe.

18. Detmongo

Detmongo Millennium Member

my current duty gun a 3rd gen g19 has in excess of 100,000 rds thru it in the last 7yrs that i've had this weapon. at least 1/2 of that has been 124 GR.+p gold dot with about 5000 rds. of 115 gr.+p+ rem. thru the gun also. they are alittle harder on the gun, but if you change out the recoil springs every 5000rds you should have no issues.

19. DHart

DHart

G19 is one helluva great gun, isn't it! :thumbsup:

20. Detmongo

Detmongo Millennium Member

yes it is. i have two of them waiting to pick up my 3rd.