close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

+P Ammo

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by Civilian sheep Dog, Mar 19, 2010.

1. Civilian sheep Dog

Civilian sheep Dog

Hey guys curious if anyone here uses +P Ammo with their glocks?
    Does it make a big difference then non +P ammo? Just picked up a box of Winchester bonded pdx1 for my G17 20rds for 20 bucks...:faint: (impulse buy) Figure I would try em out. :dunno:

2. N/Apower

N/Apower

The G17 functions best with +P and +P+ ammunition. I strongly feel that it is set up to function optimally with +P loadings in the 124gr weight.

3. unit1069

unit1069

I use +P ammo in one 9mm pistol I own, but that's because it provides the best shooting characteristics with that particular gun. I personally don't think the extra 50 fps and slight increase in energy would make much of a difference through a G-17.

4. N/Apower

N/Apower

I think it does. Here is why:

The G17 is a polymer gun. It has a good bit of "flex" to it, even compared to other polymer pistols. Glock is also made across the pond. In Europe, 9mm ammo is loaded hotter, usually right around +P by our standards, from what I understand.

+P or +P+ ammo will provide extra insurance against limp-wristing the G17 with it's flexy frame and it being sprung for the equivalent of +P 124gr ammo, the way I understand it.

PS. If you meant "terminally", then no, I doubt it does make much difference.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2010
  5. Jeepnik

Jeepnik

I've used +p in a Glock 30. Bit more recoil, quit a bit more muzzle flash (enough so that I wonder about it's effect on night vision in a low light situation). I'm not sure that out of the 30's shorter barrel, you are gaining anything.

6. sciolist

sciolist

How about compared to your hand and arm?

7. N/Apower

N/Apower

My hand and arm are a given no matter what I shoot. The flex of the Glock is just another tolerance added to the stack.

8. sciolist

sciolist

Not if it isn't the limiting factor.

9. N/Apower

N/Apower

1+2=3
    1+1=2

Tolerance stacking. It's real.

If you have ever shot a G17 and an all metal 9mm like a CZ or P226 ST, you will see what I mean. Just try to limp-wrist them and see how much more it takes than the G17.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2010
  10. fiasconva

fiasconva

One of the factors to consider with the + rounds is that it will cycle guns that are dirty, muddy, bloody or whatever when the regular rounds may not.

11. Jeepnik

Jeepnik

Might be true, but I haven't trired it with +p ammo. In fact, really the only firearms that are fired when in these conditions apply to military (few of us will ever again roll around in the mud in a life and death struggle involving contact distance shooting, but I know that good ole hardball will work), and they don't use +p. Although the 9mm NATO, is a bit hotter than conventional ammo.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2010
  12. N/Apower

N/Apower

Actually:

-Todd Green, posted on M4Carbine.net

So if you shoot high-volume, it could apply to you too.

13. Jeepnik

Jeepnik

So what you are saying is that for the non military shooter, who is too lazy to clean his firearm, +p might extend the time until malfunctions occur. Seems to me, it'd be easier just to clean the darned thing.

14. N/Apower

N/Apower

Sure, it would, but during some of the training courses at Gunsite, etc. you might end up shooting the thing quite a bit before it becomes convenient.

Either way, I would rather carry the ammo that insured function the best.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2010
  15. DEADEYEGUY

DEADEYEGUY

I've shot 124gr. +p through my Glocks and Winchester Ranger 127gr.+P+ loads. Never any problems. You feel a little more recoil with them but it'a really not bad. Carry Winchester 230gr. +P+ in my G30. It's stout but nothing the gun or shooter should have a problem with.