Glock Talk banner

+p+ 9mm vs 357 sig

5978 Views 83 Replies 29 Participants Last post by  leeward419
Most factory 357 sig is loaded at 1350. What have you guys got out of full size 9mms as far as velocity. My gold dots chronoed 1370 average out of a g31 today. By the same token I got an average of 1240 out of a g26 today with Speer gold dot +p. My question is out of a full size 9 how close will I be to 357sig. These were 125 grain for 357 and 125 for 9mm.
Reactions: LASTRESORT20
1 - 20 of 84 Posts

· Registered
1,363 Posts
I think the question is sort-of unfair, as you're comparing a maxed-out 9mm round to a downloaded 357. When you compare hot-rodded rounds against each other, the 9mm falls very short.

That said, comparing your rounds still shows the 357 with a slight edge, and it's benefit is that it is not an unstable, overpressured round. I'd rather have the 357 than the +P+ 9mm, because it's not pushing the limits of safety and durability of the weapon.

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's the other question I had is what 9mms guns are safe with +p+. Also most all 357sig is not loaded to 1350 except underwood, dtap and BBore. So if I can get a 9mm in a g26 this close what will a full size do. I have a 357 and love it but ball is expensive and hard to find. So if I can get a 9 within a few feet from what most all 357 is loaded to now, watered down or not, just shows the 9mm has come a long way.
Jambog, not quite yet.

· Registered
131,387 Posts
That's the other question I had is what 9mms guns are safe with +p+. Also most all 357sig is not loaded to 1350 except underwood, dtap and BBore. So if I can get a 9mm in a g26 this close what will a full size do. I have a 357 and love it but ball is expensive and hard to find. So if I can get a 9 within a few feet from what most all 357 is loaded to now, watered down or not, just shows the 9mm has come a long way.
Jambog, not quite yet.
No, the 9mm hasn't changed as far as SAAMI pressure standards are concerned +P+ is simply over pressured ammo.

As far as your question is concerned, no gun is going to claim to be safe with it, because its not regulated. There are plenty of guns that won't be damaged, but why someone would want to run stuff like this to gain an extra 100FPS is beyond me. If 9mm +P isn't enough, its best to change calibers.

· woo woo
31,826 Posts
I think the question is sort-of unfair, as you're comparing a maxed-out 9mm round to a downloaded 357. When you compare hot-rodded rounds against each other, the 9mm falls very short.

That said, comparing your rounds still shows the 357 with a slight edge, and it's benefit is that it is not an unstable, overpressured round. I'd rather have the 357 than the +P+ 9mm, because it's not pushing the limits of safety and durability of the weapon.
Agree. I love the 9mm round and it does just fine at its std and +P pressures. While not especially a .357 sig fan, it's a hotter round in any reasonable comparison, you get less capacity in exchange for that extra power.
I've never seen +p factory 124gr Gold Dots break 1200fps in anything but my Sterling Carbine. In a 4" Luger and just under 5" BHP clone they hug 1200fps on a warm day.

If the extra 200fps was crucial, I'd just use a gun designed for the round vs relying on maxed out over pressures.
I'm more lenient with something like .38sp or .44sp with today's watered down pressures and performance, but the nine already operates in a pretty high pressure range, those big cased revolver rounds don't.

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks guys that's what i wanted to know, so I won't be shooting any in my hipower. I really do love the 357 sig round but damn its pricy for ball. Not at all as far as jhps though. I guess I need to start loading for it myself.

· Registered
131,387 Posts
Thanks guys that's what i wanted to know, so I won't be shooting any in my hipower. I really do love the 357 sig round but damn its pricy for ball. Not at all as far as jhps though. I guess I need to start loading for it myself.
God no. Definitely don't run that through your Hi Power, especially an older forged model.

· Registered
387 Posts
Agree. I love the 9mm round and it does just fine at its std and +P pressures. While not especially a .357 sig fan, it's a hotter round in any reasonable comparison, you get less capacity in exchange for that extra power.
I've never seen +p factory 124gr Gold Dots break 1200fps in anything but my Sterling Carbine. In a 4" Luger and just under 5" BHP clone they hug 1200fps on a warm day.

If the extra 200fps was crucial, I'd just use a gun designed for the round vs relying on maxed out over pressures.
I'm more lenient with something like .38sp or .44sp with today's watered down pressures and performance, but the nine already operates in a pretty high pressure range, those big cased revolver rounds don't.
My G26 will bust off 124 gr gold dots @1200+ all day long according to a pro chrony.

· woo woo
31,826 Posts
My G26 will bust off 124 gr gold dots @1200+ all day long according to a pro chrony.
Glocks are known for 'fast' bbls....yours is a little faster it appears. I have guns like that too.
Most data I've seen on the 26 does mid to low 1100fps in that load. I have a 2.5" .38 snubby that gets fast numbers, comparable to 4" guns.

· woo woo
31,826 Posts
I'll use hotter ammo in gun and caliber combos that can benefit from it without putting undue stress on shootability or battering the gun...but 9mmP has demonstrated that it does fine with 124gr @1100-1200fps, a large reason why I never felt the desire for the sig round. Most of the time I use throttled back 125gr in my .357 revolvers for the same reason.

· Federal Member
30,583 Posts
Anyone that that wants to a 9mm bullet, really fast, I say 9x25 Dillon.

:supergrin:

1 - 20 of 84 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.