close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Oyster Stew

Discussion in 'Food Forum' started by lonewolf28152, Oct 28, 2004.

1. lonewolf28152

lonewolf28152

I would like to know how to make oyster stew. My father use to make it for me and I would like a good recipe. Thank's in advance.

2. Tennessee Slim

Tennessee Slim Señor Member CLM

Oyster Stew

1 pt oysters (reserve about 1/2 C oyster liquor)
    1 qt milk
    1 pt half and half
    1 C cream
    2-4 Tbsp butter
    Salt and pepper

Heat milk, half and half, and cream to the boiling point but do not boil. At the same general time, but obviously later because the volume of liquid is smaller, heat the oyster liquor in a separate pan. When the milk is hot, throw the butter in to melt. Add some salt and lots of pepper (I like to use a coarse grind pepper). When the liquor is hot, add the oysters.

Continue to heat the liquor plus oysters until the oysters just begin to curl at the edges, maybe two minutes. Then dump the oysters and liquor into the milk. "Correct the seasonings" and serve it forth.

You can fiddle with this recipe all you want - more milk and less cream, or vice versa; more pepper and salt (I like lots of both); fewer oysters - it really comes down to your taste.
    ------------------------------------------------------------

Chesapeak Bay Oyster Stew

INGREDIENTS:
    oysters
    oyster liquor
    1/2 Cup shallots
    4 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
    2 Tbsp diced garlic
    1 Cup sherry
    2 Cups heavy cream
    1 Qt milk
    black pepper

Saute 1/4 Cup shallots in olive oil. Drain liquor off of oysters. Add oysters to saute pan. Add a splash of dry white wine. Simmer until oysters become puffy. Drain saute into oyster liquor. Set aside oysters.

Saute another 1/4 Cup shallots and 2 Tbsp garlic in another 2 Tbsp olive oil. When slightly clarified, add sherry. Whisk lightly. When boiling begins, add oyster liquor. Remove from heat. Add cream slowly, stirring gently. Do the same with the milk. Add a few dashes pepper. Return to heat, bringing to a slow simmer for 20 minutes.

Add oysters. Stir; simmer another 15 minutes.

3. Dandapani

Dandapani

What, no potatoes?

4. Tennessee Slim

Tennessee Slim Señor Member CLM

Some people wouldn't be happy if you hung 'em with a new rope. ;g

5. jawjaboy

jawjaboy Casual lead ho

Dump one pint of oysters(liquor included) into a 2.5 quart pot. Salt, pepper and butter to taste. Heat on high, stirring occasionally, until oysters begin to curl on the edges pretty well. Add one quart of milk and continue on high heat, stirring occasionally, until just before boiling. Shut off heat, continue to stir, until the broth calms down. Works for me....YUM.

6. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

Potatoes in oyster stew? ;g

That is not a Southern ingredient ;)

7. lonewolf28152

lonewolf28152

I have never had oyster stew with potatoes. I think I will leave those out. I think my father put a little celery in his so that is something I will add. Thank's for the recipes. ;c