close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

oxtail stew?

Discussion in 'Food Forum' started by huntery, Feb 7, 2005.

1. huntery

huntery

I did a search and didn't get any hits.
    did anyone make this or is it just a hodge podge vegie in a pot deal.
    I just made myself a big batch and I'm going to let it simmer for six hr.
    I've got 3 lbs of oxtails that I first boiled to get some fat out then browned and seared before going into a large pot.
    then I've added a few baby potatos I had left over, 2 onions, 4 cloves of garlic, 2 tablespoons of tomato paste.
    for the liquid I've used a can of chicken stock then water to cover contents. Season with salt, pepper and some oyster, soy sauce and worchestshire sauce.
    so far it smells pretty good and the meat is falling off the bone, going on 5 hrs. I think it's gonna be good eats tomorrow.
    This is how I usually cook, by experimentation. I'm not really a chef.
    edited, added 4 large carrots too.

2. S2nd

S2nd One happy cat

When I find oxtail at a good price, it's definitely my favorite for stew. My mother told me that simmering the bones gives the broth flavor... **shrug**

Yours sounds good!

3. harrybosch

harrybosch

Instead of boiling the oxtails first, try browning them on a hot charcoal grill (this will melt a lot of the fat off and won't smell up your house or get the walls greasy because you're doing it outside). After they're browned, put them in a dutch oven with the chicken soup, salt, pepper and throw in a fist sized chunk of ginger root (sliced up, don't need to peel it). A few glugs of whatever red wine is around is good too. Simmer for 3-4 hrs. Put in refrigerator overnight. This causes the fat to solidify on top. The next day scrape the fat off of the top, turn on low heat and throw in whatever veggies you want. (Red potatoes, carrots and celery are good. Some people like to throw in a can of stewed tomatoes.) When the veggies are cooked, enjoy.

4. Glockerel

Glockerel Got Mojo?

Love oxtails! Why are they so damn expensive? I suppose because a cow only has 1 tail..
    Try adding a good dose of freshly ground alspice to them. makes a great stew.

5. noway

noway

Here's what I do and I just made a pot a few days back;

1st brown the ox tail pieces in butter and drain the fat, salt and pepper them to your likely

using a crock pot on high , pour one container of swanson or similiar beef broth with crush garlic, if you are cheap you can get a few beef bouillion cubes and make a broth that way. Stir this mixture and then add a handfull of slice jalapeno peppers.

add tail pcs and turn down to low and cook for 5-6hrs, you should be able to stir the mixture and the meat should pull from the tail with NO poblem or just stir right off

Add carrots at this time with barley and let them cook for about 1.5hr and half thru add chop , cilantro, onions and green onions tops, cooking them to just being tender

Serve in a soup bowl and eat with crackers. It's a very easy low prep meal to make. The tails and neck meat is one of the better flabor meats for stes and soups. I think I might try that grill method ( not directly on the coals ) and see what that does.

6. noway

noway

{Why are they so damn expensive? I suppose because a cow only has 1 tail.}

ironically they haven't always been so expensive; skirt steak, brisket and cow tails and feet and a few other parts where scraped meats and given to the laborers and slaves. Nobody of class back in the old days would eat those parts ( aka known as the "5th quarters" ). Now all of the above are very pricely and known for speciality meats.

btw: oxtail is not expensize in my area. 1.99 or less per pound but you do get alot of bone/fat , probably more than the meat ;f

7. harrybosch

harrybosch

Oxtails here can be $3.99 a lb here, as much as some cuts of steak

8. huntery

huntery

oxtails here are 5.49/lb
    flank steak 8.99/lb
    another cut I like are short ribs, they cost even more.
    I remember my dad putting in a can of stewed tomatos.
    I see everyone here cooks it over the stove and not in an oven