close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Owning a flight service?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by 40Cal, Mar 3, 2004.

1. 40Cal

40Cal Modurbator

Anyone have any experience with owning a flight service of some sort? I recently graduated from Embry-Riddle but the job market is junk right now. I've always had a little bit of an entrepreneurial spirit and I've started thinking it would be neat to buy a twin or something and run charters to the Keys or Bahamas or whatever. I have the means to get it financed but I don't know how much red tape I'd have to deal with.

Does anyone know much about this type of thing?

Thanks! :) ;c

2. Skyhook

Skyhook

Just thinking like that can get one labeled insane, 40cal! I have worked for a couple of FBOs and the impression I have is you need to be at least a little crazy to do that kind of work. However, I would recommend it.;f
    As to FAA and state requirements, get ahold of your nearest GADO rep and have a long discussion with him/her. Also, here in NYS, our DOT (Dept of Transportation) has a lot to say on these matters and so most probably will any other state you might chose to operate from.
    Good luck and, if that's what you want to do, do it... but do it with careful prep and caution.

3. 40Cal

40Cal Modurbator

I expect it to be a difficult process if I do it but there seems to be a market for that type of service here in Tampa. The place where I did my commercial-multi add-on is the only place in town that offers multi-engine instruction that I could find so I figured I could also offer lessons in the plane. I'm still just fiddlin with the idea now but I appreciate your input!