close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Owners of 1911 and Glock

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by silverado, Mar 23, 2010.

1. silverado

silverado

Was thinking when I left the range today after ahooting my new 19. Why do I like two completly differnt platforms. Thought there might be some more like me out there who own both and could shed some light on this.

Here is my little story. I have had 6 Glock and 3 1911's. I have sold every Glock I have owned. First Glock was a 19, followed by 22, 27, 21, 36 and back to 19. I have shot the 17 many times. For 1911's I have had a Taurus(which with about $300 worth of work made a great gun), a Colt(sold in hard times), and a Les Baer TRS. The TRS I will die with. Have had other guns along the way, but always go back to a Glock 19, and 1911.

2. joecoastie

joecoastie

Both are good guns, there is no reason why anyone can't like both. Personally the Glock was never a good match for me and I prefer the 1911. That being said I am interested in picking up an M&P sometime in the future. Its only the kool-aid drinkers (on both sides) that try to make it seem like you have to choose between one or the other.

3. CAcop

CAcop

The Glock 19 is a great gun. And I say that being a lukewarm Glock guy. It is a good combo of size, weight, capacity, and power. There are times when I think of buying one but I am more of a Sig guy and have two in the same class so it is hard to justify another gun in that class when there are shotguns and rifles I need to buy to round out my collection.

The 1911 is also a great gun too. It is similar to the Glock 19 in that it is a good balance. It is longer but it can be carried IWB easier due to it being thinner than a Glock. It has less capacity but 8-9 rounds of .45 are very comforting. The great trigger helps a lot.

4. das9mm26

das9mm26

At the moment I have 10 Glocks (!!) and 3 1911s...
    The 1911s are all 5" .45ACP (Kimber, SA, Colt)
    The Glocks: 17,19,21SF,22,23,26,27,30,35,36.....
    NONE are "safe queens"....ALL are fired on a regular basis (ie., when time and $$ for the range allows.....:whistling:)
    If FORCED to make a choice which to "give up"....
    Ever see "Old Yeller"??
    Let's hope I NEVER have to make "the choice"....
    Or I'm gonna:crying:!!

5. harleyfx69

harleyfx69

i like both platforms,

but generally carrry a glock and rely upon them always,

but the gun thats on my night stand is a 1911, and a taurus at that

6. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr CLM

Currently for Glocks I have a 2nd Gen G19, and a foliage green DuraCoated G20
    I have but one 1911, it's an ED Brown Kobra Carry.

Love the Glocks,.......but will be burried with a 1911! :supergrin:

7. KiloBravo

KiloBravo NRA Life Member

I currently own, love, and shoot both. I carry a full sized steel framed 1911 every day as of late. I also keep a G23 on my nightstand. There is no reason somebody cannot like both.

I will admit, I lean slightly more towards the 1911. That is only because of the terrific trigger and the fact that I can empty every round out of the gun into the same hole on paper when I do my part. I even shoot it better under stress and combat accuracy is much tighter for me personally over my Glock.

To each their own. That is why there are so many different guns out there. There is not a "one size fits all" platform that would for everybody all of the time.

8. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

I have both and I dislike both.

9. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr CLM

:wow: There's allways HK and Sig. :dunno:

10. oldnoob

oldnoob

Glock's simplicity is what attract me the most. I have a special place for simple firearms. In my small collections, Glocks (22, 23), Ruger revolvers (GP, Security Six), Tokarev, Steyr M40A1, might not be my "nicest" guns but they are my favors.

11. matteblack

matteblack

:phew:Good one!

12. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Thank you. I'm here all week!

I always like the opportunity to bash Glock and M1911; especially together. If only I can add the Hi-Power to the list as well...

13. BlayGlock

BlayGlock

Hmmm. I like both platforms as well. I think what attracts me to the Glock is the ease of use, plenty accurate, easy to work on, easy to maintain, and stone cold reliability.

The 19111 are easy to shoot accuratley, great ergonomics, and have a certain cool factor to me. Nice ones are like a work of art.

14. Magus

Magus Deo Vindice

Glocks and 1911's are the only semi-auto's I own currently. I've owned a lot of different brands/guns over the years, but in terms of a semi-auto...they're what I like best for different reasons. They're two of the most proven platforms out there.

15. crazymoose

crazymoose Nonentity

They are my two favorite handguns. For me, they both possess in spades that all-important quality: "shootability." In my experience, no other designs are as conducive to fast, accurate fire. YMMV.

16. Zombie Steve

Zombie Steve Decap Pin Killa

I regularly carry a G30 or a 1911. If it came down to owning one, it would be a 1911.

I really like the 30. It hits where I want it to, and it's a lot of firepower in a small package. I think it gets a little more holster time than my 1911's... not because I like it better, but because I gave it "beater" status a long time ago. If something happened to it, I wouldn't be heartbroken. No so with my 1911's. I want my grandchildren to have those someday.

17. glock2740

glock2740 Gun lover.

Glocks and 1911's make up the bulk of my pistol collection. 2 of the greatest pistol platforms ever made.

18. oldnoob

oldnoob

Whatever tickles your pickle.

19. TxGun

TxGun

I'm another who owns both. I own quite a few handguns, but primarily 1911s and Glocks. Both are great doing what they were designed to do. The 1911, IMO, does more things well, but the Glock is great for carry, is world-class reliable, and is about as close to maintenance-free as a handgun gets. The 1911's complete modularity and popularity guarantees you can have it as basic, or as custom, as you want it. It's the greatest of "legos" for the pistol aficionado and that, to me, makes it the most interesting handgun ever designed. That, and it's unparalleled history. All JMOs.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2010
  20. GreyEclipse

GreyEclipse TheGreyEclipse

You dislike everything except revolvers and you constantly make it a point to bad mouth anything that you dislike. :upeyes:

Glocks and 1911's are awesome, enough said.