GlockTalk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
They're not going to stop. The owners are obviously getting kickbacks.
I don’t think so. I put them on my ignore list then refresh to cruise GT. Then a day or two later, I unignore them and they are gone. I don’t like it but I don’t pay to be a member so I’m not going to complain too hard. Hope a solution is found soon.

·
Aw sheet main
1,551 Posts
They're not going to stop. The owners are obviously getting kickbacks.
I wouldn't say kickbacks, but based on ad revenue, is there some type fee for ads in newly created threads?

It's a balance of making the board user friendly and allowing fast registration, and preventing spam. They seem to do pretty well with eliminating it quickly because I've only seen in once.

Years ago when I initially tried to register, I was greeted with a popup containing red lettering lecturing on my behavior. I thought it was because I had been lurking. I mentioned it in a class and Yeager told me to contact Eric.......

No system is user friendly, free, and secure. I like the $5 idea.

Reactions: 'Ol Grandad

·
Registered
228 Posts
I think I have the answer that would be simple and effective. As a new member of just under one month, I still cannot post in the political forum, so the owner/mods can apply a rule for new forum members. Here is my suggestion.
1) In the forum rules, state that new members can only post in the new member introductions forum. The spammers would likely get frustrated that they don't have permission to post in 95% of the site forums, but even if they do post their crap in the introductions forum, they still have more steps to complete.
2) Allow only one new thread per member before they complete step 3.
3) Require 10 post "likes" before any new member is allowed to post in the other site forums while keeping the current one month rule in place for certain forums.

These three simple steps would allow the established members to police all spammers and take some load off the moderators. It would be super easy to report any spammers since the crap would be limited to one forum and one new thread and the spammers would get no "likes". I don't know if it's possible in the forum software, but ideally there could be a "ban" icon in the new member introductions forum an if any members gets 5 "ban" hits, gets kicked-off the site.

What do you think?

·
JAFO
13,662 Posts

·
Registered
10,571 Posts
one night awhile ago nearly the whole New Post page was filled with them. i went a few pages in for awhile, they were gone pretty quickly. i won't click on them... i a little paranoid about them...

·
Registered
235 Posts
They nearly always use one username each time. First time you see it, click the username, click Ignore, and reload. Problem solved, albeit temporarily.

Edit: Looks like someone "mmcbeat" me to it!
I had seen this shenanigans awhile back but did not pay attention to the username. Seemed to happen late at night.
Did they first start out with the user name "Karen" and then change on subsequent postings?

1 - 20 of 62 Posts