close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Owl in our tree

Discussion in 'Woof Memorial Critter's Corner' started by Dandapani, Jul 8, 2006.

1. Dandapani

Dandapani

[​IMG]

My son was walking our paths this evening when he came upon a Barred Owl sitting on a fence post and it startled into a tree. He was backlit so I couldn't get a very good picture of him.

This owl was very curious about our small dogs running around the paths. My son would make a hoot hoot sound with his hands and the bird would make a soft whistle sound. Like THIS!

I heard this sound last night off our patio. I think it is a young bird, looking for a friend or parent :rollsmiley:

We often hear owls hooting at night.

Some more info I found online: http://www.owlpages.com/owls.php?genus=Strix&species=varia

2. HarlDane

HarlDane

I have two big barn owls in my yard, one lives in a large pine and the other in a palm tree. My son loves finding the pellets and identifying the prey. He can pick out a gopher from a rat from a mouse, but I have to make sure he dosent find the kitten pellets. I came home a few days ago and both were perched side by side up on the power lines that run to the house, and I often see them flying at night. They are very beautiful birds. My two look alot like this one here.
    [​IMG]

3. Dandapani

Dandapani

My favorite of the owls. I always wished we had some in our barn in Ohio, but alas we never did. So I'm glad we have Barred Owls in our woods.

4. SouthernGal

SouthernGal What's Up Dox?

End of April this year my martin gourds were attacked for the second time by a Great Horned Owl. Had I not been sleeping with the windows open and yelled and screamed at the top of my lungs he might have gotten a "martin" snack that night. I should mention I live within the city limits so seeing him to begin with was rather unusual. My guess is that the development in the area has cost him his usual hunting ground and he's looking for easy meals.

Since I'm up before the sun comes up and I own an 8 pound miniature dachshund, I make sure I'm in the back yard when she goes out in the morning.

5. walkin man

walkin man

Wonder what boiled owl tastes like? If one gets any of my cats I may have to find out. I saw one last week that was huge. He was sailing over my front pasture hunting mice. If thats all he wants I'll honor the truce. They sure are pretty though.

walkin man