close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

OWB or IWB

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by jpeto, Feb 10, 2010.

1. jpeto

jpeto

Hey guys, just like the title says... I have a G23 and Im having a hard time deciding on a OWB or IWB holster. I mainly wear jeans and t-shirts so out of the 2 types of holsters Im sure its easier to conceal in a IWB. But, if I was to go with an OWB, what would you suggest?

2. MarccraM

MarccraM

Good luck. Since you're in Stuart and you are mainly wearing tshirts I would think a g23 is going to be a challenge.

The only way I can get away with owb is wearing at 4:30ish and then I can't sit back in the car.. Also wearing at 4:30+ makes it so I can't access my wallet (without flashing :)

I've tried owb twice on separate occ and Ive ended up back with iwb.

Maybe you'll have better luck than me.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2010

3. The Habit

The Habit كافر

I carry my G23 OWB exclusively. I can't stand IWB carry. I went through countless IWB holsters: Sidearmor, Milt Sparks, Galco, Comp-tac, etc. I simply didn't like jamming a gun and holster in my pants. I carry my G23 in a Galco Matrix M7X. It's cheap, effective, rides tight, and is easy on/off. I have other much more expensive OWB holsters but keep going back to the Matrix. I carry in the summer with no problems wearing an untucked polo shirt (one size up from what I normally wear) and shorts. FWIW, I'm 6'1", 220lbs... not athletic pounds either.

You'll probably need to go through a trial and error period with both IWB and OWB holsters. I've owned probably in excess of 50 holsters for the various guns I've carried over the years.

4. CBennett

CBennett

Ive tried OWB and dont like it IWB is much better for me..Only holster I have thats a OWB anymore is a fobus type range holster. ive only owned 2 holsters a RMLowrider IWB kydex and a Tagua Leather I have for my CH85 Taurus snubby. I will soon be getting a Bullard leather holster for my Ruger SR9 Compact. Id get another RMLowrider IF they made one for the Ruger SR9c but I called him and he said he does not yet.

5. Two Guns

Two Guns VIP MEMBER

For OWB = Kramer Belt Scabbard

For IWB = Milt Sparks Versa Max II

6. up1911fan

up1911fan

You need atleast one of each.

7. randyc74

randyc74 Custom Holster Maker

I usually carry both my Glock 23 or Glock 30SF IWB at the 4 o'clock position. With winter here, I've frequently been carrying my Glock 30SF OWB still at 4 o'clock.

8. ccwnsc

ccwnsc

I recently attended a tactical / defensive handgun training class. This particular class is designed to introduce one to some of the basics of IDPA shooting and to train in real life senarios for CWP holders. After going through the class (hands on , drawing and shooting drills) I personally would not carry IWB until I can spend considerable time in training. If you need to draw and use your ccw, it's going to be so quick and startle you so much that you need things to be a simple as possible....For me, that just means OWB. I'll find the way to dress appropriately.

9. Lior

Lior GUNS=FREEDOM

You'll end up with a large holster collection anyway. OWB for winter comfort and IWB for summer concealment is the way to go.

10. Bill Lumberg

Bill Lumberg BTF Inventor

OWB is generally more comfortable and just as concealable as IWB. Either will work if using a quality holster with a proper gunbelt. If you're sampling OWB, try a glock sport holster. More expensive but good as well are the tucker HF-1 or galco fletch. If you must choose IWB, look at Crossbreed or other designs that move the belt loops/clips outboard, so that they don't compound the thickness of the holster. None of the above will perform well unless worn on a gunbelt.

11. GreenDrake

GreenDrake Rip Lips

OWB, Fist K2 High Ride or Crossbreed Snap Slide.

12. dagwag77

dagwag77

I'm carrying my g23 right now in a crossbreed supertuck. Its more on the difficult side to conceal unless its a longish and baggy t-shirt. I have much better luck with my g33 in the supertuck. I don't know what FL law is but here in MA you'd attract much unwanted attention if it doesn't remain concealed, so I shy away from OWB.

13. Ryobi

Ryobi SummertimeRules

OWB is easy to conceal if you know what you're doing. As suggested, try a glock sport holster and a gunbelt while you're getting your feet wet.

14. SagKC

SagKC

IWB 99% of the time...Clip ons - Don Hume or Bianchi 100 Professional, or SmartCarry.

15. SilverBullet_83

SilverBullet_83 NRA member

I originally was going to carry OWB, but was brought into the light before I recieved my permit

16. fredj338

fredj338

I can only do OWB w/ a jacket or other cover garment. An untucked shirt almost always uncovers the OWB on many occasion. With an IWB, the holster is always covered, you just have to conceal the grip.

17. SiberianErik

SiberianErik

hi neighbor, I cc a full size 1911 OWB pretty much when ever I am w/my family out and about. A good gun belt, I am waiting for my Beltman Sharkskin to arrive anytime, plus something simple like the Glock sportholster and you are good to go. Granted Glocks are a PITA to cc due to they are bascially bricks but an over size shirt should do it. Due to our climate, I wear cargo shorts and T shirts most of the time.

Also trust me, nobody around here takes the time to look at your body. The old farts cant see and the young people are too busy texting, iPoding or yaking on their cell to pay any attn to you. :)

18. Bill Lumberg

Bill Lumberg BTF Inventor

OWB is easy, with no more than shorts and a t-shirt. I have IWB holsters, I just very rarely use them.

19. bluelineman

bluelineman Infidel كافر

To the OP: Read his post several times. Very good info there.

I OWB a G26 in a Don Hume H721OT in the Texas heat. I usually wear an untucked button up shirt, one size larger. Gunners Alley has them the cheapest. My belt is a 1 1/2" Beltman horsehide.

What holster do you use?

20. GunFighter45ACP

GunFighter45ACP

with a gun the size/weight of a G23, & your wardrobe selection IWB will be the best option. As to comfort, instead of spending alot of time & $ going back & forth between OWB & IWB holsters that didn't work (like I did), buy a quality IWB holster & belt combo, AND a pair of jeans 1 size larger than you normally wear, & you should be set!