OWB for Glock 19

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by bernie herd, Jan 2, 2010.

Tags:
  1. bernie herd

bernie herd

Guys, help me out here please. I'm looking for an OWB holster that is either a thumb-break or a retention type, that can be leather or kydex. I want it to ride high and close to the body as possibe. If any of you have suggestions or experience, throw them at me. Thanks, Bernie

2. jordanmills

jordanmills

A blackhawk serpa is kydex right? That's what I use.

3. gtalum1996

gtalum1996

Take a look at the Galco Fletch, its a thumb break leather holster. The Blackhawk serpa is a good kydez holster with a retention mechanism. It has either belt loop attachments or a paddle.

4. NAS T MAG

NAS T MAG

Galco Concealable....enough said!

[​IMG]

5. wrenrj1

wrenrj1

Blackhawk Serpa. If you want close to the body I'd suggest a IWB holster. I use Blade-Tech's Bobby McGee IWB as an alternative. IMO the Serpa w/a paddle sticks out moreso than an IW holster does.

6. gtalum1996

gtalum1996

I think the OP said he wanted active retention. If that is not a requirement for him, then the Galco Concealable is one of the best holsters on the market. I have two and LOVE them!

7. onelowtruck69

onelowtruck69

I love my Blackhawk Serpa CQC. The gun stays put no matter what and i can draw/reholster easliy and safely.I got the one for a g17 though,the holster is slightly bigger but it protects alot more of the gun especialy being that i bump into stuff frequently. Also holds it tight enough to my waist that i can still conceal it with a little bit larger t-shirt.

8. Hexx

Hexx

try bladetech

9. garebel

garebel

Plus + on the Blackhawk CQC Serpa,

For around $40.
    It is constructed of carbon fiber material, has the active retention that makes it almost impossible for someone to grab your gun, and also gives you the choice of either paddle or belt carry with the same holster....just a quick changeover.

Also, FWIW, if you ever desire to get a subcompact G26 (or27 in .40) or a fullsize G17 (or 22 in .40) you can use the same holster for every model.
    I have a 27, 23, and 22 and have carried them all in my Blawkhawk.

For about $30 you can get the same model holster that is constructed with regular polymer (kydex) rather than the carbon fiber. It is called the "Sportster" and I have one of those as well.
    The only noticable difference in the two models is that the CQC is black and the Sportster is a very dark grey, with a black release lever.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2010
  10. Poor Knight

Poor Knight

11. NCHornet

NCHornet

The Serpa sticks out from the body to far. I much prefer the Bianchi Carry Loc, by far the best holster I have used for CC, and I have used many holsters in 14 years!!! The only problem with the Carryloc is it isn't made for a lot of different guns!

12. jimmeadows

jimmeadows

Yes, I too carry my Glock 19 in an OWB Blackhawk Serpa. I absolutely love that holster. It is so simple, well-made, and easy to use. I love the way that holster has the "snap" grab so that you know your piece is secure in the holster. Ease of draw is great. I hardly know it's there, and no one else does either!

Yes, I train to always have my finger parallel to the barrel and not on the trigger until I am on target and ready to shoot. Therefore, depressing the finger-release button to draw the weapon is never a problem for me.

I do understand what some have said about the piece setting out away from your body some, but I think that you are going to experience that to some degree with any OWB holster. Recognize that for what it is.

Nevertheless, I find that the holster does conceal well, but obviously, as with any OWB, you have to give some thought to your clothing. I find that it works well with a variety of wardrobes: 1) a heavier outside sweater or shirt over top, 2) suit and tie or suit and no tie (fantastic with a suit!), or 3) casual clothes with jacket.
    Basically, as long as I have something extra over the top, it is fine for CCW. (Obviously, this is not your T-shirt-only holster for CCW unless it is a somewhat over-sized T-shirt, dark color.) I feel just fine CCW with the Serpa anywhere.

13. sredish

sredish

OWB for me is Don Hume, but I'd be interested to try my serpa as a ccw holster, however my gut tells me it's a little too wide. i truly love the serpa tho.

that galco looks nice.

14. AFshooter

AFshooter

I also use the Fletch during the winter months. Very profecional looking, and it still holds pretty tight for CCW.

And no, the Serpa is not kydex. Kydex is a heat molded sheet plastic. Serpa holsters are injection molded.

For IWB I carry in a Raven Concealment KYDEX holster

Last edited: Jan 4, 2010