overkill for coyote?

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by varmitmedicine, Jul 11, 2007.

1. varmitmedicine

varmitmedicine

I love to hunt coyotes, but i want to get a gun powerful enough for grizzle's too. I've been looking at a few 300 mags, i know that can drop just about anything im gonna shoot with it, but i think its a bit of an overkill for coyotes...

2. JimBianchi

JimBianchi Da Da CLM

I've got a nice parts M1 Garand I am trying to fix up and use for Jackrabbits and coyotes. Right now it might work, but I'm going to bed the stock and see what kind of accuracy I get then. (Gun cost me $250. I just love telling people that...)

At reasonable distances a 30-06 as taken every animal in North America. And in the right gun, it's has a reasonable recoil.

I think a 300mag will work, unless you have to fire more than half a dozen rounds.

Those shells kick!!

But in reality, unless you reload custom rounds, almost no gun is going to go from Coyotes to Grizzlies without giving up a lot.

Two guns would be the smart way to go. (A .223 and the 300mag)

Jim

3. varmitmedicine

varmitmedicine

yea, i'll probly break down and go for two...thanks...

4. Delta-x

Delta-x NRA Member Silver Member

I like my Ruger M77 25/06 varmit model for coyotes or deer.

:thumbsup:

5. Bitmap

Bitmap Millennium Member

I'm not sure what you mean by overkill. If you aren't planning on eating them or having them stuffed and mounted, who cares what is left after you shoot them? Don't worry about how much energy you waste in the dirt on the far side.

Ammo cost may be a factor.

Handloading could be a good thing. If you can find some light bullet loads intended for varmints that would reduce the recoil a bit.

I wouldn't pick a .300 specifically for coyotes, but if I had a .300 handy when I saw one I'd use it.

6. Criphunter44

Criphunter44 ALPHA BEAR

+1:thumbsup:

7. suckersrus

suckersrus

Overkill is soooooooo much better than underkill.

Glock 357Sig worked just fine on this coyote. I don't have a similar picture with a grizz in it. For good reason.
    [​IMG]

300 mag is a fine cartridge for anything and everything in North America.

8. lomfs24

lomfs24

I too would second to motion of two guns. But if you don't plan on using the second one for anything but grizz I probably wouldn't go with the 300 mag. My two choices would be a .223 for yotes and Remington 870 shorty with a mag extension loaded with your favorite flavor or slugs for grizz. Plus a home defense shotgun probably be cheaper than a 300 mag. And you could use it around the house.... you know, for mouse hunting and stuff.

9. RWBlue

RWBlue Mr. CISSP, CISA CLM

IMHO, the only gun that can do both yote and griz is the 45-70.

The 300WM is not enough for griz and is too much for yote.

I think you would be better off with 2 guns.
    A light fast yote gun, like a 222rem, 5.56x45, 22-250, 25-06.
    and
    A heavy like, 375H&H, 45-70, 458WM....

good luck if you go after griz with out enough gun.

10. rfb45colt

rfb45colt safe-cracker

IMO, .300 mag (assuming you mean .300 Winchester magnum) is a bare minimum for hunting grizz. Are you intending to actively hunt for grizz, or just want something to defend against them? If hunting for them, I'd go for a .338 Win-Mag at a minimum, .375 H&H would be better... if just for defense I'd go the 12ga slug route, or maybe a .45-70 / .450 Marlin lever action (like a Marlin Guide-Gun). As for coyote, a single-shot NEF in .223 or even .243 (can double as a deer rifle and .243 ammo is widely available and not expensive) and can be had for under $200. Using the grizz-gun on yotes will work (as somebody said, you're not worrying about ruining the meat) but the cost of big-bore ammo and toting around a heavy rifle in a shoulder-whomping grizz caliber will take all the fun out of busting yotes.

11. Sharker

Sharker

Damn, I want that kind of problem... Wish we had Griz here in Florida! Dont know as I would hunt them... probably so... but I am betting a flubbed shot on one of them would be costly!

Anyone ever kill a griz or are we all speaking out of hearsay and/or speculation? (I think I remember Canyonman saying he had)

I would like to see some pics and stories about griz hunting!

12. lomfs24

lomfs24

The best griz story I can think of is the story of Jeremiah Johnson. The book was pretty good but the movie was great in that scene. The old man runs in the cabin with a griz chasing him, then he jumps out the back window and rolls in the snow. He jumps up and yells "You skin that one, I'll go get you another one!" :rofl: :rofl: I guess you would have had to been there for it to be funny.

I have known people who have actually killed griz. I have not personally done it. I have never been in a predicament were I needed to and it's illegal to hunt them so I think the actual griz kills are pretty few and far between these days.