Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Overcoming the cockpit Alpha Dog

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Santa CruZin, Jan 20, 2004.

1. Santa CruZin

Santa CruZin Searching

When I was 18, I went up with the dad of my girlfriend. This guy was a TWA 747 captain, and had flown just about everything with wings. He was also arrogant as hell.

We were flying one of his little projects, a '57 Piper Tri Pacer. The cockpit was a wreck of wiring, half-installed instruments, radios on the floor, the whole bit. You had to put your feet *up* on the rudder pedals, to keep your heels from dragging wires around.

So there we were, tooling around a high altitude lake, when I noticed the right tank was quite low. I suggested we switch to the left tank, and got a terse "We ARE on the left tank" in response. Keep in mind this guy was the dad of the teenage girl I was sleeping with, and he was three of me in size, easy.

I checked the selector again, thought about it, thought this rude SOB wasn't worth a water landing, much less in this old heap, and so I said it again. He shot back, "I SAID WE ARE... wait a sec... well, I'll be damned... That's one 'atta boy' for you." And that was the end of it.

No wonder TWA stood for "Try Walking Across." ;Q
  2. C150J

C150J Crackberry

I know how you feel. Try being an instrument-rated seventeen year old with a non-rated P-3 Crew Chief in the right seat. I didn't know much at the time, but he was telling me to do stuff that wasn't protocol/correct. I greatly admire the military and those in it, but a minority of those I've interacted with have superiority complexes (justifiably so in some cases!). This guy's expertise in P-3 systems somehow made him think that he knew how to fly in IMC.

Luckily, my instructor, who was in the back seat (this flight was RIGHT after I passed my IR ride), was an A-6 nav and told him to shut up.