Overclock question & games

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Viper_Audio, Mar 4, 2007.

1. Viper_Audio

Viper_Audio

I just upgraded my computer, so I could play some cool games. I upgraded to Core 2 Duo 2.4 Ghz. I understood them to be better than P4's.

I bought a game "Rainbow 6 Vegas", which requires 3.0 GHz processor. However, No Core 2 Duo's go that high, even the EXTREME versions.

During play, the game randomly crashes and error code is saying I don't have a fast enough processor. So I want to know, will overclocking help here?

My new Motherboard promotes overclocking. I just want to know if I should try it.

2. HAVOC

HAVOC Guest

The only CPUs you can buy that are 3GHz are Pentium 4s. Your Core 2 Duo 2.4 will absolutely DESTROY a 3GHz P4. Most games that have some rudimentary lockout have a way to get past it, usually by changing than command line that runs the program. I'm not familiar with that particular game. Dig around on it's support site, maybe find a user forum. There's no reason you can't run that game based on your CPU speed.

You can probably pick up at least a few hundred MHz on that CPU, but I have doubts you can pick up 600 if you aren't doing at least water cooling, and it might even take some sub-ambient sort of setup. By al means play with it, it's fun, but it shouldn't be neede to run any game currently on the market.

I just built a new PC to play Supreme Commander. Everything I read had it totally killing PCs. So far so good. But I can only milk another 266MHz out of it no matter how much extra voltage I hit it with. I don't think it's a heat issue, but even if it is, I'm not going to try to shoehorn water into the thing. I can live with 2.4GHz.

3. chbix

chbix Guest

first I have rainbow 6 vegas and LOVE IT. But i have problems, the game will also randomly crash on me, it will just wig out drop the game and leave me sitting at windows, no errors or anything. i am running a p4 3.4, not the extreme. it has issues of being sluggish. Also i have an issue when playing online with the game, when i exit the game locks and I have to hard boot.

Have you tried updating the game? Updating direct X?