Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Devious Member
40,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My little sister is in a nursing home that does not have cable tv hookups. She was just moved to another room, and her TV reception went from decent to crappy.

I recently bought her THIS TV and was using THIS ANTENNA with pretty good luck in her old room.

Once she moved and reception got crappy, she screwed around with the antenna enough to break it.

Anyone have experience using an indoor TV antenna and can recommend a decent one to me?

I'm at a loss for knowing what to look for.

Sis says thanks for the tips.

·
Registered
8,536 Posts
Here's mine:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882790014

It's not as big as it seems (check the dimensions), and according to the reviews, it seems to be one of the best antennas for indoor reception. I have mine on my balcony on the 15th floor, but obviously it is blocked by the building on 2 sides. I get just about every single station in the area in perfect quality. It is also multi-directional, and doesn't need to be adjusted. It may be a bit unsightly though. Those little crappy antennas that you buy at Home Depot don't work well at all. I've tried a few.

·
Devious Member
40,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is that one a UFH antenna only, sputnik? The nearest stations to her are vhf.

·
Registered
8,536 Posts
Is that one a UFH antenna only, sputnik? The nearest stations to her are vhf.
I think it says that it's ideal for UHF channels 14-69, what that implies I'm not sure. I don't know too much about TV signals. I can tell you that I get every channel from 2.1 to somewhere in the 60s, with some channels not coming in probably due to the building blocking them (both low and high channels). I believe that the lower channels are VHF, but I could be misunderstanding. I can tell you that I get most of the low channels (2.x, 4.x, etc) w/o a problem.

·
NRA Benefactor
7,389 Posts
I suggest starting with www.antennaweb.org/aw/welcome.aspx

Use her address to locate the nearest stations and their directions. I have set up 4 tvs for people with indoor HD antennas and they are super sensitive to line of sight. The web site will also suggest antennas. In every case I've seen, closer to a window is better.

If you search www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=45 you might find local reception info and recommendations for her location.

I would also search for amplified antenna. They aren't absolutely necessary, but that little boost helps sometimes. I can't recall the brand I bought, but it was at Wal-Mart and they ran about $25 3 years ago. I found the recommendation on avsforum

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Do you have Direct TV or Dish?

If so then buy a receiver for a "third bedroom" ;)

Mount a dish for her outside and she'll have all the channels she needs.

·
Registered
8,536 Posts
Do you have Direct TV or Dish?

If so then buy a receiver for a "third bedroom" ;)

Mount a dish for her outside and she'll have all the channels she needs.
He has neither. He is talking about the free over the air HD that you can get with a simple antenna. Like the old rabbit ears, but digital uncompressed HD broadcasts. These are your local station affiliates like ABC, CBS, FOX, etc.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
He has neither. He is talking about the free over the air HD that you can get with a simple antenna. Like the old rabbit ears, but digital uncompressed HD broadcasts. These are your local station affiliates like ABC, CBS, FOX, etc.
I realize his sister doesn't have it but figured if "he" did he could set her up with a receiver linked to his account. Get it?

·
GoDirectly2Jail
1,909 Posts
Ah, ok. I didn't know that you could do that.
That's because what is being described is theft of service. Not making a judgement, but just sayin'.

John in Post #6 above offers some really good suggestions. Antennaweb will also tell you whether the stations local to you are UHF, VHF or a combo of both. That should allow you to fine tune your antenna shopping to get just what you need, and not pay for something that's not in your area.

·
INFRINGED
42,213 Posts

·
Registered
8,536 Posts
http://www.amazon.com/Antennas-Dire...YG9K/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1297214866&sr=8-4

http://www.amazon.com/Antennas-Dire...DW/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1297214866&sr=8-12

These are some of the better ones you can get.
I have the DB4 antenna hooked up to a tv in my basement. It's surrounded by concrete and can still draw in a lot of channels. They are mostly an outdoor antenna, but both of mine are mounted to the wall indoors via those 3M sticky hooks.
I actually recommended the DB2 for him, because the DB4 I think is too big for an indoor room. But I agree, these are probably the best antennas that you can get.

·
INFRINGED
42,213 Posts
I actually recommended the DB2 for him, because the DB4 I think is too big for an indoor room. But I agree, these are probably the best antennas that you can get.
The DB2 is a good one as well.
I can get all the channels up stairs with that, that I can get downstairs with the BD4.

The DB4 is ugly and doesn't fit well in a house or living room, but when you need extra power it's the way to go.

Mostly likely the DB2 would work perfectly for her.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts