close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Over Maintenance ?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Consort, Jun 11, 2012.

1. Consort

Consort

Is it possible to over maintain your Glock ??

2. ZekerMan

ZekerMan ZekerMan

Define "over maintain"....or how are YOU maintaining your Glock?

3. guns54

guns54 toni

Yes its called playing with it. Have a safe night.

4. Consort

Consort

Some range "pros" have suggested that I detail strip it every other session or every 200 rounds. Sounds extreme to me. I just get uncomfortable with the thought of continually removing the pins and messing with it. Weigh in.

5. ConcealedG23

ConcealedG23

Over maintain, I'd say no. You can improperly maintain it though. Over maintaining and improperly maintaining at not mutually exclusive either. Take some time and look around here on GT and you'll quickly learn the difference.

D

6. DaBurna

DaBurna

I've been reading that the pins holding the guts of the frame together will "wallow out" their repective holes with repeated complete disassembly of the polymer frame. I don't see the need to dissasemble the frame as often as the slide. I've only done my slide once on my Glocks and most of them have been shot 3-5 years between a slide dissassembly. I'm kinda anal about cleanings on my Glocks b/c they're all carry or HD pieces for me!! I want them to be 100% and they usually get a cleaning between each firing. As long as you're not complete detail striping with each cleaning.. You should be ok from what I understand.

7. samurairabbi

samurairabbi Dungeon Schmuck

I believe most of this "hole wear" experience is due to damage done by the punch hitting the polymer when the pin is driven out. Using the proper punch size and taking a moment to position it DIRECTLY on the pin can avoid this syndrome.

8. shadowman024

shadowman024

It's possible to over clean it meaning you leave cleaner in striker channel or over oil it. As far as replacing springs early, you're probably wasting money. If it's you're ccw gun who cares replace parts if it gives you peace of mind.
    ''

9. Tiro Fijo

Tiro Fijo

Gee, I'd better change girlfriends every few months with that philosophy. :whistling:

:rofl:

Seriously, having owned Glocks since 1986 I have never had a pin fall out from being too loose. Much ado about nothing.

10. mrsurfboard

mrsurfboard The Anti-Glock

Detail stripping your gun after each range session is unnecessary and anal. Once a year is probably sufficient, if even then. I have never, ever detail stripped any of my weapons and some of them are less forgiving then the Glock. It's also funny that the ones that insist on doing that aren't even qualified to do so, so go figure.

11. scosgt

scosgt

I would not detail strip the frame unless necessary. You won't break anything, but if you get distracted and put it back improperly, you will wind up with the gun not working when you need it.
    On the other hand, I detail strip the slide just about every time. I really can't see putting any wear on anything doing that.

12. DocWills

DocWills

Consider the source

13. dajcarroll

dajcarroll

Field strip after every session is just fine. I always do a quick clean after range visits. Usually fire 200 rounds a session. Detail strip? Once a year.. maybe once every 6 months if you shoot it a LOT. The pins will eventually wear out, and will need replaced. Same as anything. I would consider detail stripping after
    200 rounds over-doing it for sure.

G19 - Gen 3
    G37 - Gen 3

14. shadowman024

shadowman024

you can do the slide each time, the frame like others have said once or twice a year, or you can buy new pins and do it all you want

15. dajcarroll

dajcarroll

It's not just the pins. The holes in the polymer frame become worn as well. Even new pins could be loose, depends on how much bigger you've made the holes with a punch.

G19 - Gen 3
    G37 - Gen 3

Last edited: Jun 12, 2012
  16. Consort

Consort

I will respectfully ignore the advice of the range "pros" and go with the forum advice.........and my gut. Carpe Diem.

17. samurairabbi

samurairabbi Dungeon Schmuck

Isn't it even CONCEIVABLE that the "pro's" are correct and your gut is misinformed?

18. dajcarroll

dajcarroll

He doesn't need to completely strip his gun to clean every 200 rounds. Clean the gun every 200 rounds? Sure I'll go for that. I usually shoot 200 rounds in one trip. Punching out the pins and doing a full clean every time? I have never heard of anyone doing that. I've always heard 1-2 times a year.

G19 - Gen 3
    G37 - Gen 3

19. ElrodCod

ElrodCod

Yeah, I'd say that detail stripping every 200 rounds is extreme. I think the recommended protocol is a detail strip once a year.

20. Bruce M

Bruce M

I believe that Glock suggests the gun be field stripped and cleaned anytime the gun is used and periodically even if it is not used. People here who have lots of armorer's schools under their belt and have alot of experience dealing with dozens or hundreds of different Glocks seem to think a complete detail strip once a year or so is adequate.