Over All Length. To Long?

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by JTknives, Feb 19, 2010.

1. JTknives

JTknives

I am starting to reload for my G20 (10mm) and i have run into a problem. the boolits i picked up are 40 cal but there longer then what i think is normal. on the box it says Laser Cast 40 CAL for 1911. i got them for a good deal and though nothing about it. well i loaded up a round and noticed that if i take it to the OAL of 1.26 the bullet is sitting so low in the case that the rim of the case is not even in contact with the boolit. i then loaded up one to where it looks right and it comes in at 1.29" + .002 -.000. It looks good but seams to long. so i pulled out the glock barrel and dropped in the round and it heads spaces fine. next i put the round in a mag and racked it in and ejected it. everything seams normal with no hang ups. will this be ok? i did load 10 rounds just because i was on a roll. I'm hopping that it is just fine and that i can test them on sat. I had thought that the OAL was to make sure that the round will be able head space where it should with out the slug pushing into the barrel. bet then again i am new to this so i really am just guessing. thanks everyone. o and I'm using cci 350 primer, 8rg IMR 800-x, and 185 gr slug.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2010
  2. fredj338

fredj338

You have bulets designed for loading in the 40S&W in a 1911 platform. There are no RN profile bullets, above 155gr, that will fit in the 10mm in a G20 or 1911, at least that I am aware of. You'll need a truncated cone shape bullet for best results.
    BTW, mag rpimners are not required or even wanted w/ 800X. You are just increasing pressures w/o any real gain in performance. Mag primers are at their best w/ ball powders or large charges of powder.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2010

3. jaybirdjtt

jaybirdjtt

OK......I don't have data for 185 grn bullets, only 180 grn. Using 800-X powder, two guides show 8.7 grains as max and another shows 10.2 grns as a maximum. Velocity on the lower loads shows 1200 fps, 1300 + on the higher load. You're probably around 1100 fps with the load.
    I am not familiar with Laser Cast but you might want to contact them for a recommendation as to the maximum velocity they recommend for a Glock barrel to avoid leading. I'd advise checking your barrel for leading after 50 or so rounds. Glock recommends using jacket bullets.
    I generally look for pressure signs like flattening of the primers with any new handload.

4. JTknives

JTknives

Ya thats what i figuared i would hit was around 1100 maybe a bit mor or less. I am going to the reange with 200 round to test out and see how i like them and i will adjust from there. man reloading is fun :wow:

5. ilgunguygt

ilgunguygt Enslaved in IL

The usual warning applies here, if you are running a stock barrel. I shoot lead in my stock barrel all the time, and I have no worries at all. Make sure to test the particular bullet and charge weight for leading. Check every 25 rounds out to a hundred rounds and see where you are. Everytime you strip it to check for leading drop a round in and check for proper headspacing.

Once you have a proven load you are good to go, but dont make yourself one of those people we talk about blowing up a glock!

6. Three-Five-Seven

Three-Five-Seven Señor Mombo Millennium Member

A cartridge that's too long might go in the gun and it might go in the top position in the magazine. Charge a complete magazine with your load. If they go in, and come out, without contacting the front wall of the magazine, you're good to go.

7. JTknives

JTknives

i had to adjust the length to around 1.270-1.275 to feed correctly in the mag. the 1.29 was binding in the mag.

8. mteagle1

mteagle1

And we have our next candidate for KBoomer/Darwin award winner.

Using a lead bullet designed for a 1911 in a factory Glock barrel and then shortening the OAL.

9. GlockSupremacy

GlockSupremacy Recycle Kids!

He could have backed off the charge, no way to tell on the internets......

10. JTknives

JTknives

Well I'm back from the range and have to say i now have 1000 slugs that i cant use. i fired a few and would check the barrel for leading. it leaded bad and i was having about a 50% primer failure. so i have about 170 bullets to pull :crying:. but i did load up some standard 180gr'ers that i picked up before going to the range. i loaded 15 rounds and thy worked great. would over packing the powder cause a primer failure. now that i think of it i think the primer failure was do to them not being seated all the way. i looked at the firing pin marks and there not very deep. o well chalk it up to learning.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2010