close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Outlook 2003 Exchange Cache Mode Problems

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by starglocks, Sep 23, 2004.

1. starglocks

starglocks

I'm helping a friend with the following setup:

Win 2000 SBS with SP1, which has Exchange 5.5 running

Andy - Win XP Pro desktops with SP1, Office 2003 with SP1

Ruth - Win XP Pro desktops with SP1, Office 2003 with SP1

Andy allows Ruth delegate access to his Outlook calendar and contacts as she is in the office while he's out during the day. Much of Andy's schedule involves recurring appointments. Andy lives by the calendar.

So far... so good. Everything works.

Andy buys a Toshiba 335 Pocket PC with PocketPC 2003 running on it. I help him install and load ActiveSync 3.7. In order to sync the Toshiba, I have to run Outlook 2003 in "Exchange Caching Mode" which copies his Exchange database (contacts, inbox, tasks, calendar) to his PC. This cache is used only for sync'ing with the Toshiba and it's kept in sync automatically (status message on bottom right gives this status).

Andy uses Outlook 2003, still pointing to his Exchange 5.5 contacts, calendar, etc. and now about half of his recurring appointments do not show up on his calendar. Wierd.....

I can go into Outlook 2003 and turn off "Exchange caching mode", close and re-open Outlook 2003 and all his appointments are there.

Toshiba sync also misses the same recurring appointments.

Andy had the Toshiba working fine with Outlook XP, problems started when he upgraded to Office 2003/Outlook 2003.

Any thoughts on this wierd one?

Thanks

2. NetNinja

NetNinja Always Faithful

Here is my experience.

I or rather my company runs an Exchange 5.5 email server.

My users VPN in and connect to the Exchange server in order to get their email.

I have noticed that 1 user in particular runs into a whole crap load of syncing problems.
    This person is using Outlook 2003.
    The rest of my users are a cornucopia of Outlook 98 and Outlook 2000 users.

Everybody is happy except the Outlook 2003 user.

Occasionally she loses email or email that she has deleted comes back 2 days latter.
    Who knows.

I believe there is some sort of sync issue between Outlook 2003 and Exchange 5.5. I can't prove it but all areas of problems seem to point in that direction.

Oh and don't ask Microshaft for help on this one. There are only two people who understand how their proprietary email flux capacitor email database interacts with the whole world. I kid you not.

The solution which I am working on right now as I type this is building a Linux email server replacement.

Then if I am successful is throwing Exchange 5.5 out the freaking window.

It should take me about a week or two to figure out if my users are going to switch to Thunderbird email clients or continue to use Outlook as their client.

My advice is to remove Outlook 2003 totally and then reinstall Outlook 2000 from scratch.
    I bet you a dollar the problem goes away.

Or go to www.experts-exchange.com and open up an account and post the question there.

3. starglocks

starglocks

Thanks for the thoughts.... I'll also go to exp exch

I wonder if 2003 server will work better? It's an expensive upgrade...

4. 0100010

0100010 Millennium Member

It's most likely due to running OL 2003 on EX 5.5 - that server needs to be upgraded to at least EX 2K, of not 03.

Give me a few to search - I'm sure there are plenty of others with similar issues...

EDIT : See... - http://groups.google.com/groups?q=c...003 activesync&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wg

EDIT2 : http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=...Ww1Ir3nDHA.1740%40TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl&rnum=2

Looks like MS is aware of it - no clue if an Officeupdate has addressed this issue or not though. Looks like you already have the "fix" - use OL in online mode.