close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Outdoor Ranges

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by MississipVol, Apr 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MississipVol

MississipVol

Anyone here shoot your pistol at an outdoor range?

The only range locally is all outdoor. That would be fine if I was in to rifles and shotguns but I want to shoot my G19 mostly and don't really want to pay the $200 membership fee ($240 annually) to be able to shoot when its just outside. (Guess I have gotten spoiled traveling to 2 hours to a really nice indoor range to rent guns)

Should I:

A: Save my money & buy a nice laser/light combo instead, drive the 2 hours when I can to an indoor range, and depend on friends in between who have land I may can shoot on.
    ~or~
    B: Go ahead and spend the money because I know I would probably shoot more since I can go whenever I want. (not be able to get a laser/light right now)

2. ak103k

ak103k

Depends on the range. A lot of ranges are pretty anal about how you shoot, and go off on you over every little thing, things like rapid fire, drawing your gun from a holster, moving while you shoot, moving closer to the target than what the range is measured at, etc. Ive belonged to a number of indoor and outdoor ranges that woumd allow anything but sit/stand at a bench or table and shoot how they tell you.

Im lucky enough now to belong to an outdoor range thats 2 minutes from my house, and allows all of the above, as well as full auto and night fire. All that for $25 a year to boot. Life is good. :)

3. Beanie-Bean

Beanie-Bean

I've always preferred to shoot outdoors, and have only shot indoors every now and then.

To me, it's like smelling blown firecrackers inside there. And, I've usually ended up in the stall next to the guy with the 6" .44 blowing the snot out it.

Nah...I'll pass, unless it were the only game in town.

I can collect all my brass there, shoot steel targets, run my reloads over my chronometer, keep all my ammo and gear in the back of the car, and I'm not charged by the hour...

You say you drive 2 hrs to the indoor range? How far away is the outdoor range?

4. MississipVol

MississipVol

The outdoor range is only about 20 minutes away.

One other thing...when I asked the guy on the phone what targeting system they use, he said 'we usually try to have something out there but a lot of my members shoot AR's and normally knock them down or shoot them to pieces so you may have to bring your own'. Then he said, 'well......but we will usually have something out there you can use'

Not sure what he meant by that. I guess I will understand more when I visit.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2012
  5. robin303

robin303 Helicopter Nut

There is a indoor range 5 miles from me. I hate it. They charge $15 an hour and when I go I shoot 500 rds at a time. There is always some jerk next to me blasting away with his elephant gun and they get pissed off when I tell them I want my brass.
    Now I travel 28 miles to an outdoor range that has 5 pistol ranges that cost $100 a year and dueing the week I'm by my self.

The big Crowd:
    [​IMG]

Testing my reloads which you can't do in a indoor range:
    [​IMG]

6. fx77

fx77 CLM

Love shoooting outoors 7-50 yd hand gun

$18/day- session.

7. Beanie-Bean

Beanie-Bean

If I lived on that side of I35, I'd also go to ARC. I go to Best of the West up in Liberty Hill, and if they're full or closed, I'll hit Eagle Peak.

8. WarEagle 1

WarEagle 1 Taco Tuesday

I love outdoor ranges!! There's one in Rochester, MN that has steel targets for their pistol range, it's great set up.

9. stolenphot0

stolenphot0 RTF2 Addict

there are two ranges I go to, both are 30-35 minutes from my house. One is indoor only and is always clean air, no smell.

Other has indoor and outdoor. First time I shot there was in the evening and shot indoors. The air was heavy with stench, but I had fun. Showered when I got home. Second time I went there was in the morning and wanted to shoot indoors but they had a CCW class using the range, so I went outdoors. It was much more fun with other people around. Seeing what they shoot and helping another guy with his daughter and their 92f. About every 10 minutes we went out and changed targets. Everyone was ok with ceasefires. I started out on my own for the first 15 minutes. On my last mag a guy showed up with his girl and his hand cannon revolver. He could barely keep it in the 7 ring.

Third time I shot there was indoors and in the morning and the range air was clean and no taste to it.

Driving 2 hours would keep me from ever shooting.

10. robin303

robin303 Helicopter Nut

A lot of my friends go there and I never been. About 40 miles +.

11. Kimura

Kimura

How often do you shoot now? Two hours is a long drive to shoot. If you join the gun club, will you shoot more? Can you do holster work and speed drills at the gun club? Buying a light/laser is fine as long as you shoot enough to work on your skills. If not, it's just something hanging off your gun. No offense, because it's not particularly directed at you, but I see a trend in people buying cool accessories like a light/laser or a suppressor or an S&B short dot etc and hardly shoot because they used their money on X. If this is the case for you, I would say use the money for the gun club. Good grip, trigger control and good sight alignment are what makes a good shooter and you don't get any of those at speed unless you do a lot of shooting. And, IMO, perfecting your shooting skills is way more important than having a cool device attached to your gun. That's my opinion, but it's your money and your choice.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2012
  12. 2740dmx

2740dmx

I prefer outdoors, but at my local club, you cannot shoot forward of the 25 yard line......unless you are the only one there! :whistling:

I go during the week, when possible, and have the place to myself. I can practice drawing from holster, shooting on the move, rapid fire, etc..

Indoor ranges SUCK!:cool:

13. valvestem

valvestem

We have only two ranges near me, both outdoors, both are members only, and require a yearly fee, sponsorship, a tagalong familiarization period, a sitdown question and answer session with full membership, subservient duties, expected volunteering to perform "chores" at the range facility, and more. I read half way through the rules and hoops to jump through and decided not for me. I'll drive a half hour to the willy wacks and shoot.

14. Bruce M

Bruce M

I have been to ranges that don't allow you to use your own ammunition let alone your own targets or taget holders. I would guess from this statement that the range in question may be fairly laid back and allow you some latitude as to how you shoot. I would think that if the guy is resonable he would certainly allow you to go there and watch someone shoot handguns, and if he could determine you are a serious potential member, he might even allow you to try shooting there once. If he would not allow you to at least watch and observe a bit, I would say avoid the place. Otherwise I would suggest at least going there once to see what it is like (unless you already have.)

For a long time I preferred an outdoor range all other things equal. Now that I am old, my choice for a range, along with most everything else, is what has the most convenient bathroom.:supergrin:

Finally before I started saving for a good light/laser I would try and get a .22. That way I probably would be able to shoot more often.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.