close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Outdated guns?

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by themighty9mm, Mar 17, 2010.

1. themighty9mm

themighty9mm

I have heard this term used several times and dont get it. I hear it more often when people refer to the beretta 92fs, but have heard it on other makes aswell. How is really any current combat gun outdated. The 1911 has been around awhile, is it outdated due to 100 year old technology? I hardly think so. Sig 226, beretta 92, and glock 17 all came about withing a year or 2 of each. Nobody says a glock is outdated. So what makes a gun outdated? Does it have to be plastic to be modern? The argument for that is plastic is lighter, but metal you will feel less recoil when shooting. Does it have to have a light rail? Sigs got it, glock does beretta does, heck even many 1911 have the option for a rail. So what makes a gun outdated, please somebody explain?
    <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

2. american lockpicker

american lockpicker License to Il

I think flintlock pistols are outdated.

3. themighty9mm

themighty9mm

lol I can agree with this. For most modern uses most likely, but what about muzzle loading deer season?

4. tx787

tx787

Outdated would mean there's something newer with all the pros and with at least a significant less con than the outdated model. I think revolvers are outdated but there's going to be a lot of people who disagree with that.

5. themighty9mm

themighty9mm

I am mostly speaking of current combat handguns.
    Even most revolvers though I dont see as outdated. Minus blackpowder. Think CCW, new shooters, big game hunting, fishing alaska. 44 mag or larger is a bit of a PITA to lug around in a semi auto. Easy maintence less opportunity to jam, easy for new shooters to learn the basics.

6. american lockpicker

With BP guns like the Thompson Center I would say yes.

7. TalkToTheGlock

TalkToTheGlock Zombie Hunter

I hear people saying that the USP .45 is outdated as the HK45 "trumps" it as some would say. I disagree tremendously, not so much that the HK45 trumps it, but that it is outdated.

8. american lockpicker

Until we are using energy weapons I think anything made after 1900 isn't really outdated.

9. themighty9mm

themighty9mm

Well how is the usp 45 outdated? The HK45 is basically the same gun if I am not mistaken, just 2 different grips more or less. The HK45 may not fit everybody, but the USP may fit the others the HK45 does not. In that sence the USP isnt really outdated at all The HK45 is more or less just a different grip option

10. TalkToTheGlock

TalkToTheGlock Zombie Hunter

I agree, it's the other people I talk to that state this. Even when I am at the range,every once and a while someone will say, "Are you gonna get rid of the old USP for the new HK45?".

I figure, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

11. themighty9mm

themighty9mm

Thats kinda what I'm gettin at. There are soma guns that I can kinda see as being "outdated" but give me a seconed and I bet it wont be hard to figure out its place with current more "modern" guns

12. themighty9mm

themighty9mm

I asked this same question on another forum. My favorite answer and one I had nothing more to say about was something along the lines of if it is broken and you can no longer get spare parts for it, it might be outdated. Couldnt come up with a argument for that. I fully agree with it. So in that sense not many guns in the overall spectrum are "outdated" I just really hate seeing or hearing the term used. Just because there is something new on the market by no means, means that product X is outdated

13. ArmoryDoc

ArmoryDoc

Outdated ? That term is relative to the individual and their needs / uses, IMO. If you're high speed / low drag a revo ain't gonna cut it for an entry gun. If you like slow range time, it's fine. So outdated for what use ?

14. hoffy

hoffy

I have a German made pre 1900 Swedish mod 96 Mauser with a pristine bore(bought a bunch of that kind of stuff when they let in in 86, the year I started working at a gun shop. I could keep 5 guys busy at 200 yards with that gun and some stripper clips, but me and my buddies used to practice with this old stuff a lot. MkIII Enfields are quite fast, but the strippers can be fiddly if you don't load them right,I prefer the No 4(WWII model, with longer sight radius). The Swiss K-31 is lightning fast. I put 60 rounds on a metal 3/4 size IPSC style target in less than a minute and a half,At 100 yards, using strippers layed on a table(should have not cheated and used issue pouches) . I have won friendly bets with guys using modern sporting rifles, and even semi-autos, while I used a military bolt gun. If you consider facing one with a bayonet on one with an empty/jammed gun in your hands, heavy walnut trumps plastic as a pike/club. Some of the most horrifying first hand accounts of fighting I have read(Masters in History) was hand to hand in the pacific and in Korea. Most of these old codger vets I used to try to talk to years ago did not want to talk about it. Now if you can't get ammo for it, or form it using similar brass, then it might be outdated, but if you asked me 15 years ago when the 8X56 Steyr 95 (that old nazi marked ammo) was drying up, I would never have guessed that modern manufacturers would make such things. Arisakas I can understand, have several 6.5 and 7.7s and they shoot pretty good. Oh, and remember all the pics from the '80s when the Muj. all carried AKs(47&74) + Enfields of all flavors to reach out , and they won that war(with our help). An unskilled shooter with a black rifle does not stand much of a chance against a skilled marksmen, using a 50 year old rifle, especially at distances that you actually have to take careful aim.

15. american lockpicker

I used to have a heavily used French Mas-36 and British SMLE(made in 1917) that was more accurate than any more modern SKS or AK I've used.

16. CajunBass

CajunBass Silver Member

The proper response to questions like that is "And that would be your business because?"

17. Ol Timer

Ol Timer ↓ hog hunter ↓ Millennium Member

I would say any damascus barrel shotgun is outdated. Some can be worth $$$, but shouldn't be used with modern ammunition.

18. MstrPara

MstrPara Go Loud.....

This.......EXACTLY my thoughts.

19. ctaggart

ctaggart

I'll beg to differ with you on that one. A performance center S&W 327 stoked with 8 rounds of hot .357 is the epitome of entry gun. The stopping power of .357 matched with reliability unattainable by semi-auto pistols is nothing to be balked at.

The term "outdated" however, is certainly relative as you said.

20. SafetyGuy83

SafetyGuy83

Couldn't agree more. There is nothing outdated about a revolver. I have a S&W 327 and it is more powerful and accurate that any semi-auto (10mm excluded:supergrin:) with about the same capacity as a 1911. In addition, like just about any revolver it is drop dead reliable. If I remember correctly this pistol was designed for use as an entry gun. Not trying to be a jerk but I love this pistol more than I love my girlfriend. Wait...thats all my guns! More than I love my dog!:wavey: