close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Out of State Pistol Sale

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by mdfd, Jan 29, 2010.

1. mdfd

mdfd

Sorry for the basic q, but this will be the first time I will be purchasing a used gun from an individual in another state. I do not know the individual personally, just that he is a member on a forum I frequent as well...It is a used pistol in "like new" condition as he indicates in his description and pics as well.

I realize he has to ship to my local FFL which accepts from individuals...

So my question is:

What is the recommended general procedure or steps to properly complete this transaction and what paperwork/record should I expect at what point in the transaction?

I would imagine the steps to be something like this (pls correct/add):
    1. Agree on price/terms
    2. Seller sends payment info: name and address (anything else?) to Buyer
    3. Buyer let's his local FFL know to be expecting a package from Seller.
    4. Buyer sends his local FFL's name and shipping address along with payment to Seller (Seller is requesting USPS money order)

Should I expect some sort of "Bill of sale" or "Transfer of Firearm" to be included with the pistol from the buyer or should I specifically outline and request this?

Also, what protection/recourse do I have in case the seller receives my money and decides not to ship the firearm?

I have bought from private individuals in-state and typically fill out a generic Bill of Sale with both our FOIDs (required in ILLinios) and signatures on the document (I bring a template if the seller does not have one).

I'd appreciate guidance from those who have done out of state pistol purchases from private individuals successsfully.
    Thanks in advance!:wavey:

2. Mongosafari

Mongosafari El diablo verde

You have agreed on a price.
    You send check or Money Order with copy of your local FFL .
    He ships the gun to the FFL. Receipt is nice but not manditory.
    Your FFL executes 4473 and makes NICS check, receives small fee (I charge $20)
    You leave with firearm (waiting period in your state?)

If he never ships the gun you can go after in small claims court.

Ask for a Bill of Sale. I'm sure he will accomodate you.

3. mdfd

mdfd

thanks Mongo! Good to know there are no surprises...:wavey:

4. Rinspeed

Rinspeed JAFO

Depending on the selling price most of the time I make it a point to get the sellers home phone number. On high dollar items not only do I verify phone number but I will actually call them.

5. Mongosafari

Mongosafari El diablo verde

Excellent point.

If someone is willing to take your money but won't give you a phone number and talk to you- don't do the deal.

6. Messer

Messer

Paying by USPS money order is a good idea - this way if there are problems, you can get the post office involved quickly.

Another thing to think about - I always ask for a set inspection time. This way, if the item does not live up to it's description, it's already understood you can send it back within a certain time frame.

Good luck,
    Bob S.

7. mixflip

mixflip

What about buying a gun at a gunshow/gunshop across state lines in person? Do you buy the gun at the gunshow/gunshop then have them ship it to your state to your local FFL of your choosing?

8. Messer

Messer

If it's a handgun, it must go through a FFL in your state. I've bought rifles and shotguns in other states in person with no trouble, but I think it depends on your home state - in Virginia it's not a problem.

Take care,
    Bob S.