Out of state permits

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by Jefe, Feb 5, 2010.

1. Jefe

Jefe

The post below about people in PA getting FL permits got me thinking.

I currently live in SC and have a valid CWP, and I will soon be moving to NC. I am afraid that my SC CWP will not be valid once I change my residence to NC. I am thiking about getting a NH or FL out of state permit using my SC permit, and then changing my adress on my out of state permit.

Could I use my SC permit to get a non resident permit in NH or FL after I have moved to NC, or should I do it now and change my address when I move?

How long does it take to get a NH or FL non resident permit?

I know I could take the NC CCW class and get a NC permit but that will cost about $100 more than getting a non resident permit and I will have to spend a day in class. Both NH and FL permits are valid in NC.

Thanks,
    Dan

2. Dr. Combustion

Dr. Combustion

All of your permits are based upon your legal residency. Once you move to NC, then you must notify any agency that sent you a non-resident permit, and your SC residency permit will no longer be valid.

Check Handgunlaw.us for more info. Good luck.

3. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

Not true.

The address on my Nonresident Concealed Handgun Permit is no longer correct. Is my permit still valid?

Yes. Virginia Code Section 18.2-308, which governs the issuance of nonresident concealed handgun permits, makes no provisions for changes of address. A permit once issued remains valid until the expiration date is met, or upon suspension or revocation, regardless of the change of address. However, the Virginia State Police will issue change of address cards upon request. Holders of nonresident permits are requested to notify the Virginia State Police, Firearms Transaction Center (FTC) in writing at P.O. Box 85141, Richmond, VA, 23285-5141 or on-line at [email protected]. Additional information is available at http://www.vsp.state.va.us/cjis_nrcwp.htm.

IIRC, NC accepts VA carry permits.

4. Hairy

Hairy

Floida about 3-5 months

5. misunderestimated

misunderestimated

Let’s say you go forward with this,<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p> </o:p>
    Let’s say you had to use your gun to protect yourself. <o:p></o:p>
    Would you want a prosecuting attorney pointing out to a jury how dishonorable a person you are and that you lied about your address and chose not to follow proper laws regarding the out of state permits. It will be hard enough to defend your action in a perfect scenario no less bring in the incorrectly licensed person or gun
    I would also think you would have a problem with federal law as you have to purchase your firearms in the state you live, your drivers license address dictates where your primary residence is. If your primary address is NC then you would not be able to purchase a firearm on your NH or <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:State w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">FLA</st1:place></st1:State> non residence permit.
    I can also tell you every time I attend a Gun Safety course I walk away a little more educated when I arrived at the class
    I don’t see how the benefits could possibly out weigh the negative
    Help us all to give ourselves a better name
    FOLLOW THE LAWS

6. Jefe

Jefe

I was not going to lie about my address. I would get a non resident permit with my current address in SC and then change the address on my non resident permit when I move. This seems to be legal as NC honors both NH and FL non resident permits, but if it is not, let me know.

I might not have been clear in my origional post. I was wanting to know if I should get a non resident permit now and then change my address on it when I move, or if I could use my SC CWP to get a non resident permit (with my new address) after I move.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2010
  7. NC Bullseye

NC Bullseye

Don't you think the cost of the NC class would be worth it since you're getting the straight skinny on NC laws on using deadly force and the laws concerning concealed carry? Just remember, ignorance of the law is no excuse and more so when dealing with deadly force.

Even if you don't get the NC CHP right away at least take the class to learn what you need to know in NC.

What part of NC are you moving to?

8. Jefe

Jefe

I do plan on taking the class eventually if I am going to be there for a while. I know with moving and getting settled into a new place it will be a while before the wife lets me kill a saturday to take the class. One reason I want to get the non resident is to be able to leagly carry in the mean time. I am familiar with the NC laws as I have read where it is illegal to carry on the NC website.

I am moving to the Charlotte area.

9. NC Bullseye

NC Bullseye

The no carry places are just a very small portion of the laws that NC has. If you get a chance and my schedule is open I'd be glad to give you a "Readers Digest" condensed version of the use of deadly force laws if you come up to the Hickory/Lenoir area. At no charge if you spring for the coffee.