close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Out of 9.....

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Gareth68, Jan 21, 2013.

1. Steve0853

Steve0853

DD, I agree wholeheartedly, but what I think the OP is suggesting is that there are a whole lot of dumbasses out there..........and I wholeheartedly agree with that, also.

P.S. Also never heard of a college offering a four year degree with zero history requirements....:wow:

2. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

It's like you guys think that everyone was a rocket scientist 75 years ago.

News flash: 75 years ago, people were 100% behind FDR.

3. devildog2067

devildog2067

I was born in 1981; I remember when I was a kid that my dad sat me down in front of the TV one day and said "Someday your kids will ask you where you were when this happened."

It was a bunch of young men with sledgehammers standing on top of something and I remember being bored watching it.

4. Spiffums

Spiffums I.C.P.

ALL my answers start with "Is he White?" The answer YES to this eliminates any answer that includes "Banging a Kardahsinan"

5. captainstormy

captainstormy

You kind of sound like a cranky old man screaming "I'm older than you so I know better."

You can't possibly know the direction anyone's life is going to go better than anyone else.

While I enjoy history and learn all that I can about it, the knowledge I gain really isn't useful to me.

By that I mean, I have more use in my life to learn another programming language or expand my IT skills in other ways to advance my profession.

Just because someone doesn't know something specific doesn't mean they don't know anything.

I'm not saying that our education system can't use some work, because it certainly could. However if history has taught me anything, it's that there were plenty of stupid people in the past as well.

6. Cybercowboy

Cybercowboy Support the 2nd

I may have been a little different but one of my aunts bought me the entire set of World Book Encyclopedia circa 1970 (I was 9) and I read them cover to cover my 4th-5th grade years. I'm talking cover to cover. My father was going to college in 1971 and had to do a big paper on Chang Kai Sheck. He checked out several books on him and I read them. So yeah, I sure the hell know who he was.

In HS I had a history class every single year. In college, even though I was taking mainly math and physics and engineering classes, I had three history courses. I not only know what happened after WWII and up until I was 10 (that would be 1971) but I'm pretty damn well versed in history in most eras. Quiz me if you want. Greek and Roman history, European history, early American history (pre-colonial), colonial American, revolutionary, early American, 1812, Jacksonian, Civil War, the individual history of various states, Indian wars, Spanish American War, progressive era, WWI, the Weinmar Republic, the build up to WWII, of course WWII, Korean conflict, Vietnam, pop culture, on and on and on.

This is what many kids learned "way back then". It was completely normal. Now not all kids were as voracious of a reader as I was (and still am) but I would feel completely ignorant if I didn't have a basic knowledge of history, historical figures, and couldn't apply history's lessons to modern day events.

7. Tackle

Tackle

Well said!

I think some people get scared looking at my generation. But wasn't it theirs that decided what my education was to consist of? Aren't they the teachers, leaving out this critical information?

8. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

I can stump you, CC - Early American history - no cheating by using the internet. . . .

What color was George Washington's white horse?

9. Steve0853

Steve0853

I thought I was the only one who did that.....about the same age, too. Sure comes in handy once in a while, no matter what anyone says.

10. Cheseldine

Cheseldine Texan

I'm 23, and from what I understand without looking anything up, Gorbachev was the last leader of the USSR and was instrumental in tearing down the Berlin wall separating East (Communist) from West Germany.

I also believe he won the Noble Peace Prize for bringing about the end of hostilities between the USSR and the US.

I'm not sure if this would be enough to pass or fail in you opinion haha.

11. Flying-Dutchman

Flying-Dutchman

Actually yes. When the US “lost” China to the Communists it was considered a disaster and a major defeat.

While before my time, the draft forced students to pay attention to history and current events as their posteriors were on the line.

People could not be nonchalant then like today with an attitude that ignorance is cool.

12. Altaris

Altaris

I'm almost 35, and Gorbachev was a key figure in history for the classes I took. One was the 'History of the Cold War' class, so of course I learned a lot about him there. Even without that class I knew about him from numerous discussions in highschool, college, and tv.
    I even saw him and Bush Sr walking around the halls in college one day, which still seams like a surreal moment to think about.

To the guy DevilDog brought up...... Forget about knowing why he was important, I have never even heard the name Chiang Kai-Shek before.

13. Lazy R

Lazy R

This is a good point. We regularly had discussions at home to de-program all the leftis propoganda they received, and to help them gain understanding of how our country functions and what our constitution is.

Now my youngest is a freshman in college, and he schools the other students on these subjects because many of them don't really have a clue. :supergrin:

14. ICARRY2

ICARRY2 NRA Life Member

The public school system isn't failing kids, it's the parents. Just like police don't make the law, they just enforce it. Well, the schools are not there to raise your kids, just teach them reading, writing and arrithmatic.

Parents have less control over their kids today because many are too lazy or want to be their kid's friend instead. It also has to do with what kids see on tv/movies. Parents need to spend quality time with their kids. Turn off the video games and the internet.

If a parent doesn't have any control over their own kid, how do you expect the school to have any control over the kid?

Kids also immitate their parents. If the teacher or principal calls you in to school because little Johny or Suzy continue to misbehave or never does their homework, don't start screaming at the school and blaming them for your failure to teach your kid to be a responsible and decent person. If you don't demonsrate respect when dealing with others, your kid won't either. If you constantly are trash talking the educational system or anything else for that matter, aren't you essentially indoctrinating your kid to believe the same?

Too many parents do not pay attention to how they act around their kids. Remember how I said kids immitate their parents? They immitate for better or for worse.

Set a good example for your kids and they'll immitate you for the better.

Well disciplined kids whose parents have high expectations and enforce consequences do well in public school. They also have lower rates of drug use and arrest.

It the parents stupid!

Last edited: Jan 22, 2013
  15. Hicksville Kid

Hicksville Kid

My kids now are pushing 40 but when they were in school I used to joke with them about history classes. I'd tell them that history is harder now than when I was in school because there was less of it.

I also know who Chang Kai-shek was.

Do you know what the battle of Quemoy and Matsu was about?

Hint: It was the first use of the Sidewinder.

16. rednoved

rednoved NRA Member

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISn14xOGqn4"]Reagan - YouTube[/ame]

17. Glock20 10mm

Glock20 10mm Use Linux!

Well it does explain the current crop of idiots currently in office.

18. Cybercowboy

Cybercowboy Support the 2nd

Good enough for me but it was really Reagan who deserved that Nobel. Notice that it never goes to anybody even remotely associated with the right. It's devolved into a joke, especially after the Carter/Gore/Obama Nobels. I'm actually amazed that Clinton doesn't have one.

19. captainstormy

captainstormy

I didn't Google it, but I think that horse was one of his favorites (out of a couple he rode during the war) and was actually gray.

I read the horses name once but I forgot. I think it had blue somewhere in it. Back in the day, and even my grandparents would call gray animals blue (also why the blue tick hound is named that but is gray in color).

Growing up on a farm I know gray horses often get lighter with age and the painters were looking at the horse and Washington years after the war to get a reference for the painting so the horse's hair had lightened quite a bit by then.

Of course there is always the painter's romanticizing their paintings and possibly just painting the horse white regardless because the good guys ride white horses and bad guys ride black horses.

20. N.Texas G23

N.Texas G23

Anyone who's most persuasive argument is to complain about the current state of the American educational system can easily do their part by changing career paths and jumping in to save the day. (And yes, some recent college graduates know how to use their, there and they're correctly)

I was born in 1982. I was too little to understand the significance of the Berlin wall when it came down. I have since learned who Gorbachev was. I don't recall actually talking about him in high school, or college. Odds are good I learned about it on my own, as I enjoy reading about history and politics.

Is a well rounded college education important? Absolutely! However, so is learning the practical knowledge one needs to begin a career and become a productive member of society. My degree did not require as much history as say...an education degree with an emphasis in history. However, my degree did require historical education that I would wager most of you don't have. (Case in point...who here actually knows who Hildegard of Bingen is? Or how about Josquin des Prez? Dietrich Buxtehude?) In an ideal situation, one would learn at least a rudimentary knowledge of all recorded human history...but do we really want students hanging around in college for a few extra semesters to accomplish that goal. It's just not feasible. Especially considering how expensive college is, and considering the fact that somewhere around 50% of all recent college grads are unemployed or underemployed.

Learning is a lifelong process. I read constantly in order to learn things I didn't already know. (I just read to find out who Chiang Kai-Shek and Pak Chun Hee are.) This information that I have picked up on my own, outside of a classroom is what shapes my world view, and my political views. It has been much more valuable to me that the information I have received in a classroom. To that end, I'll leave you with an important quote from the great Frank Zappa:

"If you want to get laid go to college, if you want an education go to the library."